February 16, 2021
To: BC/Yukon Region Stewards
From: Kris Hawkins, Regional Manager, BC/Yukon and Prairie Region
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A, MRM, Director, BC/Yukon Region
Re: BC/Yukon Virtual Advanced Labour School – April 22 – May 20, 2021
We are pleased to inform you that the BC/Yukon Virtual Advanced Labour School will be offered from April 22 to May 20, 2021 via Zoom.
The Labour School offers specialized modules once a year to all stewards who have completed Basic Steward Training.
Two separate Courses will be offered this year and you have the option of attending Course 1, Course 2 or both. The Course Schedules are as follows:
- Course 1: Duty to Accommodate
- Thursday, April 22nd, 2021 from 9:00am - 11:30am PST
- Thursday, April 29th, 2021 from 9:00am - 11:30am PST
- Course 2: Collective Agreement Interpretation/Grievance Handling
- Thursday, May 6th,2021 from 9:00am - 11:30am PST
- Thursday, May 13th,2021 from 9:00am - 11:30am PST
- Thursday, May 20th, 2021, 9:00am - 11:30am PST
The course objectives are as follows:
Course 1: Duty to Accommodate
- Identify key principles in human rights accommodations in the workplace under the Canadian Human Rights Act and provincial and territorial human rights laws
- Define and apply concepts related to workplace accommodations
- Clarify the duties and responsibilities of unions, employers and employees in workplace accommodations
- Develop the confidence and capacity to advise and support members dealing with accommodation issues in the workplace
Course 2: Collective Agreement Interpretation/Grievance Handling
- Apply the principles of collective agreement interpretation
- Identify the steps of the grievance process
- Understand and fulfill the steward's role in the grievance process
- Use investigation, interviewing and communication skills to support members in the grievance process
- Write effective grievance and persuasively present grievances at the first level
Please note that participants may be expected to complete homework assignments during the Courses.
Registration is required no later than Thursday, March 25, 2021 to be considered for participation in the Labour School. Registration will not be accepted by fax or telephone.
As the Labour School is limited to forty (40) participants (per Course), a selection criteria has been established and will be applied when reviewing the applications. You are required to have completed Basic Steward Training and are currently an active steward.
Once your application has been received and reviewed, you will be sent an email advising whether you have been selected or not selected to take this training. If you are not selected you will be placed on a waiting list and may be contacted up to two weeks before the Labour School to attend in the situation of a cancellation.
COMPENSATION FOR LEAVE
Institute policy allows for compensating participants who use vacation, compensatory leave or leave without pay for attendance at training sessions. The participant must provide a completed employer's leave form authorizing the leave and complete a PIPSC Compensatory Salary Claim form available on the website.
Salary compensation will be provided upon completion of each Course - 5 hours for Course 1 and 7.5 hours for Course 2, except in the case of shift workers who will be reimbursed for appropriate shifts due to their attendance at the training.
Please be advised that salary replacement arrangements cannot be claimed until you have completed your selected courses.
If you have any questions regarding the Labour School and the registration process, please contact Shira Gordon at 604-688-8238 or 1.800.663.0485, extension 7821 or email@example.com .
We look forward to virtually meeting and working with you.
BC/Yukon and Prairie Region
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A, MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region