Meeting Minutes

BC/Yukon Region - Regional Executive  

Thursday May 31st 2018  Scheduled 1 pm - 5 pm

Whistler Hilton


Phil Mantler (Chair)

Karen Hall (Secretary)

Carl Cahoon (Vice Chair, Awards Committee - Chair)

Pete MacDougall (Treasurer, Training Committee - Chair)

Ken Antao (Member at Large)

Pierre Charpentier (Member at Large)

Adele McLean (Member at Large)

Robert MacDonald (Regional Director)


Ernie McLean


Meeting called to order – 13:10

  1. Approval of Agenda  (All)
  • Motion to approve the agenda
      • m/s - carried
  1. Approval of Previous Minutes (All)
  • Motion to approve the April 11th, 2018 Minutes  
      • M/S – approved by consensus
  1. Business Arising from April 11th  Minutes  (All)
    • No business arising
    • BC theme at PIPSC AGM
      1. R Macdonald provided a summary of brainstorming session
      2. Summary to be sent to PIPSC AGM planning committee
  1. Regional Director Report   (R. MacDonald)
  • Motion to accept the Regional Director Report April 11th to May 30th  2018;  M/S–carried
  • Report is attached
  1. Office Staff Report (E. McLean)
  • YHC Collective Agreement signed
  • Staff looking out to 2019 venues for Councils
  • Still uncertainty around number of RCMP civilian members that will be coming over
  • Staff portfolios have been updated to reflect member numbers and workload
    • Motion to receive the report – m/s carried
  1. Financial Report  (P. MacDougall)
  • P MacDougall provided summary of financial report
  • Budget to be presented to Regional Council was presented to Executive
    • Motion to accept the report as amended  m/s – carried
  • Regional Executive discussed criteria to select AGM observer
    • K Hall to create poster for distribution
  1. Regional Training Committee Report (P MacDougall)
    • Verbal summary provided on National and Regional initiatives
      • Motion to receive report – m/s – carried
    • Discussion on Recruitment Video to still be discussed by this committee
    • Executive would like to see training to remain in regions and not become centred in Ottawa – P MacDougall to advance the regional position at the National TEC and R MacDonald will advance this position at the Board
  1. National Initiatives
  1. Legacy Fund (K Antao)
    • K Antao presented plan for Donation Draw
  2. 100th Anniversary (P Charpentier)
    • R MacDonald to talk to Ottawa
    • Digitizing to occur after Regional Council
  3. Better Together (P Mantler)
    • R MacDonald and P Mantler will go to Kamploops on June 19th
    • Looking to go to Victoria in September and Prince Rupert in September
    • R MacDonald to follow up with P MacDougall for Dates on Price Rupert visit
    • Another focus group call with new stewards in June
  1. New Business
  1. Membership in BC Federal of Labour (K Hall)
    • K Hall to present update in October
  2. Youth Form (R MacDoanld)
  • Further discussion to happen later this fall regarding a smaller one day event that would not be connected to Steward Council
  • R MacDonald to update in August
  1. Recruitment Video for stewards (P. MacDougall)
  • Carried forward to October
  1. Nomination of Executive of the Year (C Cahoon)
  • No nominations were received
  • The executive agreed to extend the timeline to have it presented with the Steward of the Year award at Steward Council
    • Motion to approve movement of deadline  m/s - carried
  • K Hall will develop a poster to send out to constituent bodies
  1. Regional Council Last Minute (All)
  • Executive agreed to who will collect tickets for meals
  • Volunteers chosen from Executive to distribute t shirts as delegates sign up
  1. Regional Initiatives (R MacDonald)
  • Steward Council Planning is underway; suggestions on “ted talks” are welcome
    • Focus on Wellness, Professional Development and Steward Knowledge
  • Discussion on Executive meeting outside Lower Mainland to be discussed and finalized by August
  1. Next Meeting(s)
    • August by phone (TBD)
      • P Mantler to send out a doodle poll
    • Friday, Oct 19, 2018 9:00am – 12:00pm
    • Friday, November 30, 2018 9:00am – 5:00pm
    • R MacDonald to explore potential fall executive meeting in the Yukon
  1. Adjournment @   16:05   m/s - carried


Regional Director’s Report – May 31, 2018 – Regional Executive Meeting

Period: April 11, 2018 – May 30, 2018

Board Initiatives

Pursuant to the board mandate letters, my focus over this last period has included:

  • Chair, Executive Compensation Committee: 
    • The ECC has initiated the Triennial Review for the COO/ES, Chiefs and Excluded Staff.   The results will be presented at the July BOD meeting.
  • Board Liaison, Science Advisory Committee and Science:
    • Maxime Gingras (staff support for the SAC) and myself presented SAC’s & PIPSC’s 3-Year Science Strategic Plan at the Advisory Council (AC) on April 28.  We asked the members of the AC to help us advance public science issues and look for ways to implement these recommendations as part of consultations and bargaining.  Future updates will be provided. 
  • Assist in the delivery of the key results area of “Model Organization” in areas of governance and strategy planning for the Institute:
    • The presentation on ECC’s memorandum on the ‘Authority of the Executive Committee (EC)’ has been rescheduled for June’s Board meeting. 
    • Member of PIPSC’s Life Insurance Trust – Preparations for a new marketing campaign.

As I write this report the Auditor General has released another report on our failed ‘pay system’ and has called Phoenix an ‘incomprehensible failure' which is no surprise to those of us impacted by this crisis.   Information on the Phoenix can be found on our website   Members impacted should follow the instructions on the website.  Let me know if you have concerns (contact info below).

Our Regional Council will be held this June 1 – 2 in Whistler (check out the virtual binder on-line).   Planning has started for our fall Steward Council in Burnaby (October 19 – 20).  See our regional page on the website for other information on training and events.

It has been an absolute pleasure to meet so many members over the past few months as part of our ongoing 2018 Regional Outreach efforts.  On June 19, myself and Philip Mantler from the Okanagan Branch will be meeting members in Kamloops (don’t forget to sign up for the lunch and learn).  Plans are also underway to visit Prince Rupert in September.  Please consider becoming more involved in your union and as always… don’t forget the power of conversation - members are our best advocates when changing the conversation with family, friends and neighbours.

Events Attended

  • Regional Executive Meetings / Events:
    • Regional Executive Meeting – April 11
  • Regional Meetings / Events / Conference Calls:
    • Advance Training Presentation – April 11
    • Fraser Valley RMG Chapter AGM – April 17
    • Vancouver RMG Chapter AGM – May 3
    • Basic Steward Training Presentation – May 11
    • Victoria Branch Fire Side Chat – May 16
    • Victoria Branch Steward Appreciation – May 16
    • NCVI Branch AGM – May 17
    • Vancouver CS Sub Group Movie Morning – May 19
  • Board Meetings / National Events:
    • Regional Directors Meeting – April 12
    • Board of Directors Meeting – April 13 & 14
    • Broadbent Progress Summit – April 19 & 20
    • Advisory Council – SAC Presentation – April 28
    • Special General Meeting – May 3
    • RE Group AGM and Sub Group Presidents Meeting – May 4 & 5
    • Group Life Insurance Trust Meeting – May 24
    • Library and Archives Canada (LAC) Consultation Team Lunch and Learn – May 24

If you have any questions or would like additional information please feel free to contact me at 236-888-8739 or

In Solidarity


Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM


Director, BC/Yukon Region