“I have never understood why we question doing the right thing so much, shouldn't we be questioning more, why we are not doing the right thing?”
BC/Yukon Regional Director’s Report – December 31, 2021 – Regional Executive Meeting
Home of the PIPSC Legacy Cup!
Period: October 21, 2021 – December 31, 2021
Dear Members of the BC/Yukon Region
Since the last report, the BC/Yukon Region has hosted a number of excellent events.
Steward Council was held in-person on October 22 and 23 at the Delta Burnaby. While our numbers were lower than in other years, for many it was their first large in-person event since the start of the pandemic. We were fortunate to have presentations and sessions from:
- President Debi Daviau
- Eddie Gillis, Chief Operating Officer & Executive Secretary, PIPSC
- Ernie McLean and Harinder Mahil
- Roger Haskett, Engagement Unlimited
- W. Laird Cronk, President & Sussanne Skidmore, Secretary Treasurer, BC Federation of Labour
- Rod Mickleburgh, BC Labour Heritage Centre
- Christina Nikiforuk, Liberate Leadership
We were also able to congratulate our 2020 Executive of the Year, Philip Mantler; Steward of the Year, Mohan Grewal; and, Stewards of Distinctions, John Wong and Simon Chiu.
Our BC Tree Planting event to celebrate PIPSC2’s 100 Anniversary was held on a sunny Saturday, October 30th. Approximately 30 members and their families were joined by our Regional Executive Host Carl Cahoon, along with our partners at Tree Canada and the City of Coquitlam. The event was extremely well received with most attendees encouraging our Region to consider more similar events in the future.
The BC/Yukon Regional Office held two well attended Virtual Steward Training Sessions on “Return to Office and Vaccine” on November 29th and November 30th. Kris Hawkins, Regional Manager and our Employment Relations Officers provided a presentation and answered stewards’ questions. This was followed up with a general lunch hour Steward Open House with the Regional Office Staff on Monday, December 6th. Thank you to the Regional Office and all those who attended.
Please note that proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 is required for in-person attendance at all PIPSC event. If you intend to attend, please ensure you have your proof of vaccination with you and are willing to show it to a designated volunteer at the event.
National / Board Initiatives
Pursuant to the Board mandate letters and additional assignments, my national focus over this last period has included:
- Chair, Executive Compensation Committee (ECC): Another three year work plan was successfully completed by the ECC. Thank you to the committee members: Yvon Brodeur; Nancy McCune, Kim Skanes and Dave Sutherland; and our Staff Support: Patrizia Campanella, Peter Nunan, and Joanne Trépanier.
- Innovation / Building Trust / Life Insurance Trust: No updates during this time period.
- First Contact – Indigenous Learning Event: This on-line virtual event, in Partnership with APTN, was held on November 18 and was a great success. Thank you to Brother Greg Scriver, our PIPSC Staff and the APTN. I truly hope this is the first of many such events in the future.
- Regional Meetings / Events / Calls:
- Training Committee Meeting – Oct. 21
- Reg. Executive – Oct. 21-22 & Dec 13
- Steward Council – Oct 22 & 23
- Victoria Branch AGM – Oct. 28
- Return To Office & Vaccine Sessions – Nov 29 & 30
- Nanaimo SP SG AGM – Nov. 30
- Health Canada Lunch & Learn – Dec. 1
- ERO Open House – Dec. 6
- Vancouver CS SG AGM – Dec. 7
- Monthly RD/Reg. Office Mtg. – Dec. 14
- Northern BC Branch AGM – Dec. 15
- Board Meetings / National Events / Calls:
- BOD Meeting – Nov. 3-4 & Dec. 9-10
- National AGM – Nov. 5 & 6
- APTN First Contact Education – Nov. 18
- Executive Compensation Cmte. – Nov. 26
- Life Insurance Trust Meeting – Nov. 29
- Regional Directors Meeting – Dec. 8
- Building Trust Meeting – Dec. 21
Our PIPSC website (www.pipsc.ca) has the most up to date information regarding your Union.
It has been an absolute pleasure serving as your Regional Director for the past seven years.
In no particular order, I would like to sincerely thank all those who make this Union and Region such a great success over the past seven years: our stewards, executive members and activists in the BC/Yukon Region; your BC/Yukon Regional Executive (Philip, Carl, Angela, Pete, Ken, Morgan and Dean); my steward buddy at Transport Canada (Karen); the great team at the Regional Office (Kris, Patricia, Alex, Harinder, Dulce, Simon, John, Cynthia and Ernie); all the outstanding staff members at the PIPSC Ottawa Office under the leadership of Mr. Eddie Gillis (sorry, too many to list); the always super supportive President Daviau; my many good colleagues on the Board; and all the wonderful members in the BC/Yukon Region.
Take good care of yourselves and those around you!
Until next time.
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region