Meeting Minutes

BC/Yukon Region - Regional Executive 

Tuesday September 4th  Scheduled 7pm to 10pm



Phil Mantler (Chair)

Karen Hall (Secretary)

Ken Antao (Member at Large)

Adele McLean (Member at Large)

Robert MacDonald (Regional Director)


Carl Cahoon (Vice Chair, Awards Committee - Chair)

Pete MacDougall (Treasurer, Training Committee - Chair)

Meeting called to order – 7:00

  1. Approval of Agenda  (All)
    • Motion to approve the agenda
      • m/s - carried
  1. Approval of Previous Minutes (All)
    • Motion to approve the May 31st, 2018 Minutes  
      • M/S – approved by consensus
  1. Business Arising from April 11th  Minutes  (All)
    • R MacDonald to send Regional summary of ideas for BC/Yukon theme - completed
    • Recruitment Video to be on next Regional Training Committee Meeting - move forward
    • R MacDonald to discuss 100th Anniversary Committee with Ottawa and carry out digitizing of the photo albums - ongoing
    • R MacDonald to carry forward conversation on Youth Forum - ongoing
    • K Hall to develop poster for AGM Observer and send for translation and posting - completed
    • K Hall to develop poster to support nominations for Steward and Executive of the Year and will email out to stewards and constituent bodies - completed
    • K Hall to develop poster and competition for Steward Council around Bulletin Boards - ongoing
    • P Mantler to send out Doodle Poll for August meeting - completed
    • P MacDougall and R MacDonald to raise Regional position on training TEC and Board respectively - pending
    • R MacDonald to follow up with P MacDougall for Dates on Prince Rupert visit - completed
  1. Regional Director Report   (R. MacDonald)
    • Motion to accept the Regional Director Report May 31st to August 31st  2018;  M/S–carried
    • Report is attached
    • Request for executive to put their minds to planning for the next 3 years
  1. Staff Report
    • No report for this meeting
  1. Financial Report  (P. MacDougall)
    • Report not provided
  1. Regional Training Committee Report (P MacDougall)
    • Report not provided
    • P Mantler to check in on the status and if alternate is required
  1. National Initiatives
  1. Legacy Fund (K Antao)
    • K Antao arranging Legacy draw for Steward Council
    • Prize at AGM in Ottawa to be discussed further
  2. 100th Anniversary
    • A McLean to take over this position
  3. Better Together (P Mantler)
    • Follow-up to occur with Kamloops members
    • R MacDonald working with Roger to re-engage Better Together Stewards
  1. New Business
  1. 2018 Steward Council – (All)
    • R MacDonald sent out draft agenda
    • A McLean to champion finding charity
    • R MacDonald will put together a proposal on an additional visibility item and circulate for email vote
    • Awards Committee - Recommendation on Steward and Executive of the year to put forward by the end of the week
    • P Mantler to respond to request about distribution of election materials
  2. Youth Forum Update – (R. MacDonald)
    • R MacDonald working with Mobilization in Ottawa regarding the agenda
    • Draft agenda to be circulated to Executive
    • P Mantler to support R MacDonald
  3. Recruitment Video for stewards – (P. MacDougall)
    • No report
  4. Regional Council debrief – (All)
    • Overall positive feedback
    • Further definition of logo selection to occur at Steward Council
  5. Criteria for funding branch/subgroup events – (All)
    • Request for funding for Christmas Dinner for Kelowna AFS sub group and what the appropriate funding envelope would be
  6. Regional Executive meeting locations outside of Vancouver – (All)
    • Executive Meeting to be held in Whitehorse in November 27, 28, 29 - R MacDonald to confirm
    • Discussion on moving meetings around to other locations to support additional outreach - move to October Meeting
  7. Selection process to appoint replacement for P. Charpentier- (All)
    • Regional executive will seek interest from list created from expression of interest for AGM observer and appoint from this list - K Hall to circulate List of expressions of interest and Executive members will email Chair their selection for consideration
  1. Next Meeting(s)
    • Thursday, Oct 18, 2018 1:00 - 5:00 pm and Friday, Oct 19, 2018 9:00am – 12:00pm
    • Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 9:00am – 5:00pm – Whitehorse
    • February 2019
  1. Adjournment @   8:48   m/s - carried

Regional Director’s Report – September 4, 2018 – Regional Executive Meeting

Period: May 31, 2018 – August 31, 2018

Thank you BC/Yukon Region!

It is both an honour, and incredibly humbling, to be acclaimed to the position of Regional Director, BC/Yukon Region for another 3 year term.  I am looking forward to working with all members to advance those issues that are important to our Region and PIPSC.  Can’t wait to get started on the next three years! Thank you to everyone for your on-going support.

Board Initiatives

Pursuant to the board mandate letters, my focus over this last period has included:

  • Chair, Executive Compensation Committee (ECC) 
  • Board Liaison, Science Advisory Committee and Science:
    • History was made this past July when the Chief Science Officer, Treasury Board and PIPSC released the Model Policy on Scientific Integrity.   Now, each science department will produce their own SI Policy before the end of the year.  Contact your Consultation Team if you need more information.  SAC is also working on the other elements of PIPSC’s 3-Year Science Strategic Plan such as Women In Science (WiS) and Science Capacity.  More information can be found at:
  • Assist in the delivery of the key results area of “Model Organization” in areas of governance and strategy planning for the Institute:
    • The ECC’s memorandum on the ‘Authority of the Executive Committee (EC)’ was approved at the August BOD Meeting.  The focus now will be assisting with the implementation of the eight recommendations from the memo. 
    • Member of PIPSC’s Life Insurance Trust – Preparations continue for a new marketing campaign.

After much efforts by PIPSC’s ‘Nix Phoenix’ campaign, the federal government has finally formally announced a replacement for the failed Phoenix pay system.  Unfortunately the crisis will continue until this replacement is implemented.   Information on Phoenix can be found on our website   Members impacted should follow the instructions on the website.  Let me know if you have concerns (contact info below).

This past three months have seen a number of very successful events held in the Region.   Our Regional Council was held on June 1 – 2 in Whistler, and included some great presentations, discussions and member updates.  Thanks to all who participated.  Speakers included:  Dr. Mark Thompson, Professor Emeritus, University of British Columbia; Cheryl Skribe, Executive Director, Whistler Community Services Society; Kiavash Najafi, Director, Policy and Communications PIPSC; Ernie McLean, Regional Manager BC/Yukon Region, PIPSC; and Steve Hindle, Vice-President, PIPSC.  Huge thank you to everyone who contributed our Council Charity – Whistler Community Services.

This fall we have a number of activities and initiative

  • Steward Council – October 19 & 20 – Burnaby:  Another full program of ‘ED Talks’ are planned this year with an incredible line up of exceptional speakers – with a focus on steward wellness, education and engagement!  
  • Young Professional’s Forum – December 1 - Vancouver BC:  Members, forty (40) years and under will be invited to a day-long forum to design and implement a made in BC/Yukon campaign for young professionals.
  • OSH Training – December 1 – Vancouver BC:  A day-long Occupational, Health and Safety Training session from a union’s perspective is open to all PIPSC members.  Seats are limited, so sign up early.
  • Community Outreach – Prince Rupert:  A focus on communities with 30 or less PIPSC members, our next outreach session will be held in Prince Rupert in October.  Please keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation.
  • Community Outreach – Yukon:  The BC/Yukon Regional Executive will be hosting member outreach events in Whitehorse on Wednesday, November 28th to meet with our Yukon members.  This event will be coordinated with the Yukon Branch / WHC Group AGM.

In addition, this fall we will be welcoming our new RCMP Civilian members into the Region.

Please consider becoming more involved in your union and as always… don’t forget the power of conversation - members are our best advocates when changing the conversation with family, friends and neighbours.

Events Attended

  • Regional Executive Meetings / Events:
    • Regional Executive Meeting – May 31
  • Regional Meetings / Events / Conference Calls:
    • Branch President’s Meeting – June 1
    • Regional Council – June 1 – 2
    • Victoria Branch Summer BBQ – June 14
    • Chilliwack Member Outreach – June 18
    • Kamloops Member Outreach – June 19
    • SH – RCMP Green Timbers Focus Group – June 26
    • RCMP Civilian Member Presentations – July 11
  • Board Meetings / National Events:
    • Regional Directors Meeting – June 6
    • Board of Directors Meeting – June 8, July 27 & 28
    • Science Advisory Committee – June 9
    • Executive Compensation – June 21, June 28

If you have any questions or would like additional information please feel free to contact me at 236-888-8739 or

In Solidarity


Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region