Draft Meeting Minutes
BC/Yukon Region - Regional Executive
Thursday, May 28, 2020 0900 - 1200
Video conference - Zoom
Phil Mantler (Chair)
Carl Cahoon (Vice Chair, Awards Committee - Chair)
Karen Hall (Secretary)
Ken Antao (Member at Large)
Robert MacDonald (Regional Director)
Pete MacDougall (Treasurer, Training Committee - Chair)
Philip Tam (Member at Large)
Adele McLean (Member at Large)
Meeting called to order – 9:04
- Approval of Agenda (All)
- Motion to approve the agenda
- m/s - carried
- Approval of Previous Minutes (All)
- April 14, 2020
- Motion Regional Executive accepts the minutes as amended - m/s -carried
- Business Arising (All)
- 2020 Steward/Regional Council – R MacDonald
- Discussion paper sent out on what we could replicate virtually
- Moving ahead with the Speaker Series one to two times a month, keeping them to 30 to 60 minutes over a lunch hour
- Looking at 2-3 hours per day over a week in October for a Steward’s week (as a replacement for Steward Council). Would also have a general information session to duplicate Regional Council elements.
- RD will put together draft agenda for input from Regional Executive.
- Virtual update vs virtual AGM
- Options discussed for Regional Executive elections:
- All Exec stay on until May
- Exec Spots stay open until May and Election
- Election in the Fall
- Motion: In accordance with the National Guidelines, the Regional Executive will not hold an election in the fall of 2020 and will appoint when and where required leading up to May 2021 m/s – carried
- Action: R MacDonald to inform National Executive or the Regional Executive Decision
- Exec also asked to think about how we can virtually network
- Discussion paper sent out on what we could replicate virtually
- Regional Director Report (R. MacDonald)
- Motion: Regional Executive accepts the Regional Director Report April 14th to May 28, 2020 M/S - carried
- Report is attached
- Office Staff Report (E McLean)
- Motion: Regional Executive accepts the verbal Office Report m/s – Carried
- Staff finding that issues coming to the office are moving from COVID back to more normal labour relations; expect 699 to be an issue
- Replacement for E McLean’s position will be selected soon
- Financial Report (P. MacDougall)
- Motion: Regional Executive accepts the verbal Financial Report m/s – carried
- Budget is changing as events are being cancelled are moved to a virtual environment
- Action: Pete will send out report soon.
- Will keep the budget for holiday gatherings just in case
- We have gone from almost having all funding dedicated to likely in a large carry over with a clawback
- Motion: The Regional Executive supports reallocating Regional Funds from the existing 20/21 budget for up to an amount of $5000 funds to the Speaker Series and Steward week, if required. m/s – carried
- Discussion on if there are different visibility items to be considered based on the current environment
- Regional Training Committee Report (P MacDougall)
- Motion: Regional Executive accepts the verbal Training Report m/s – Carried
- No National Committee meeting since December 2019
- National Initiatives
- Better Together (P Mantler/R MacDonald)
- Lunch and Learns on hold unless we can figure out how to effectively host them virtually
- Legacy Fund
- Reminder to get the message out to our members on the application
- New Business
- Regional & National Awards
- Deadline is July 3. Executives still being encouraged to get nominations in
- Steward Recruitment in a Virtual World (R MacDonald)
- Executive was asked to brainstorm on what we can do going forward since our application rate is currently extremely low
- Ideas around department and location specific L&L for stewards
- Q&A for stewards
- Encourage existing stewards to reach out to one other member to ask how they are doing and what questions they have
- BC Federation Affiliation
- Application has been sent and it will be considered in the BC Fed June Board Meeting
- Next Meeting(s)
- June 15th , meet with Branch President
- August (TBD but likely virtual)
- Adjournment @ 10:49 m/s- carried
Regional Director’s Report – May 28, 2020 – Regional Executive Meeting
Home of the PIPSC’s Legacy Cup!
Period: April 14, 2020 – May 28, 2020
This will be a rather brief report, as my last submission was just a month ago, on April 13, 2020. First, I hope this report finds everyone safe, healthy and taking care of themselves and those around them.
Again, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for stepping up and working together both in the workplace and at PIPSC! The work of PIPSC, and especially our stewards, is more important now than ever. A continued huge shout out to the front line providers and health care professionals at this time!
Updates on COVID19 from PIPSC are found at www.pipsc.ca Please encourage our members to review the FAQs, which are updated often.
The PIPSC Board of Directors met on May 14 to discuss and plan for PIPSC events and activities in light of restrictions on large in-person gatherings due to COVID-19. Information can be found at: https://pipsc.ca/news-issues/information-members-regarding-covid-19-coronavirus/pipsc-in-person-activities-and-2020
Finally, like everyone, PIPSC (which is all of us) really needs to focus our thoughts and efforts on planning and implementing new and engaging delivery methods for all types of member events/opportunities.
While regional events such as Regional Council and Steward Council have been formally cancelled for 2020, as noted in the announcement form the Board, “Regions will implement online steward and member activities, where possible, to replace some elements of Councils”. Your BC/Yukon Region is already working on ideas to replicate some of the great features of these events with on-line tools. So stay tuned for announcements over the coming weeks. We hope to have our first of several Steward Speaker sessions starting in June.
Over the next several months, I am hoping as an organization, we will turn our attention to steward recruitment, on-boarding, support and training in a virtual workplace/environment.
Unfortunately with the suspension of our in-person activities our extensive in-person community and member outreach efforts have been temporary curtailed for the balance of 2020. We look forward to resuming these activities when we are able. The 2020 BC/Yukon Region Key Activities Calendar can be found at: https://pipsc.ca/regions/bc-yukon/news/2020-bcyukon-regional-corporate-calendar
In addition to attending various BOD calls and meeting over the past month, I have been continuing my work on the various national initiatives.
National / Board Initiatives
Pursuant to the Board mandate letters, and additional assignments, my focus over this last period has included:
- Chair, Executive Compensation Committee (ECC): The Triennial Review process for President/Vice-Presidents, Executive Staff and Excluded Employees is on-going. The ECC held its first zoom meeting on May 27 with future calls planned for June, July and August.
- Board Orientation: A Board Task Force has also been meeting online with the next meeting scheduled for June 3rd. The Board’s voluntary self-assessment process is on-going - the next planned activity is to have the consultant observe the June BOD meeting.
- Governance: NJC BA Governance Group met on May 22nd and its work will be temporary halted due to other priorities No update on PIPSC governance activities.
- Innovation / Building Trust / Life Insurance Trust: No significant matters addressed during this period.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments on my Board appointments (elected) and the specific portfolios assigned by the President / CEO. The Board mandates are on the PIPSC website.
- Regional Meetings / Events / Calls:
- Regional Executive Meeting – April 14
- Regional Executive Call – April 24
- Vancouver Branch Executive Meeting – April 30
- Regional Executive /Branch President Call – May 14
- Regional Office Meeting – May 19
- Board Meetings / National Events / Calls:
- Building Trust – April 17
- Board of Directors – April 22 & 23
- NJC (BA) Governance Mtg. – May 22
- What’s The Future @ Lavin Live – April 27, 28 & 29
- BOD Orientation TF – May 6
- Special Board of Directors – May 14
- Executive Compensation Committee – May 27
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please feel free to contact me at 236-888-8739 or email@example.com .
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region