Extended health care plans
Most current and retired PIPSC members and their eligible dependents have access to an extended health care plan designed to supplement public healthcare.
PIPSC does not have access to your individual extended health care plan information. Your HR department can provide you with information on a specific plan.
Public service health care plan
PIPSC members in the following groups are included in the Public service health care plan (PSHCP):
NRC (RO/RCO, IS, LS, TR)
The PSHCP is a private health care plan for federal public service employees and eligible dependents designed to supplement public healthcare. It reimburses all or part of your eligible medical expenses.
Benefits covered under the PSHCP are divided into two broad categories:
- Extended health care benefits: Plan members and qualifying dependents are reimbursed for reasonable and specific medical services and products. These may include prescription drugs, private nursing services, eyeglasses and contact lenses, some physiotherapist and massage therapist services, orthotics and ambulance services. A deductible amount is applied each year. Many categories have an annual reimbursement maximum. Some expenses, such as unlisted medications or durable products, athletic therapy, and convalescence, are not covered.
- Hospital benefits: Plan members and their qualifying dependents are covered for hospital costs up to specified limits. This is based on the three levels of coverage available. There is no annual deductible. Members are automatically placed in the lowest coverage category and may elect to pay for a higher level of coverage by submitting a request. The levels of coverage as of June 2019 are as follows:
- Level I – maximum payment of $60 per day
- Level II – maximum payment of $140 per day
- Level III – maximum payment of $220 per day
Important note: Actual coverage levels can change over time.
- Public service health care plan (PSHCP)
- PSHCP summary
- PSHCP directive
- How to make a claim
- Frequently asked questions
- Important plan changes – notice board
Extended health care plans for PIPSC members at other employers
PIPSC members in the following groups can learn more about their extended health plans on their group pages:
For groups that do not have information posted, please contact your group executive.