Executive Meeting — September 10, 2020 (5th of the year)

Videoconference meeting via Zoom

Start of the meeting: 8:30 a.m.



In attendance: Yvon Brodeur, Richard Doyle, Stéphanie Fréchette, Martine Lacroix, Hugo Landry, Nancy Lavoie, Réjean Michaud, Benoît Pelletier, Robert Tellier and Christian Tremblay.

Regrets:  Gerlando Renna


  1. Welcoming remarks.

Yvon welcomed everyone and will chair the meeting.

  1. Approval of the agenda.

All in favour — The resolution is carried following a few additions to the Miscellaneous section.

  1. Approval of the minutes of the July 27, 2020, meeting.

The minutes of July 27, 2020, were unanimously approved.

  1. Matters arising from the minutes of the July 27, 2020, meeting


  • i) 2020 AGM: PIPSC will hold the 2020 AGM virtually on December 5, 2020. In the meantime, bids have been launched to find a service provider. (Action: Yvon):

Yvon informed us that the LUMI technology will be used to manage the AGM, which will be held virtually. We are anxious to see how this type of meeting will be conducted given the large number of participants.

  • ii) PIPSC 100th Anniversary Project:  Yvon will present 2 quotes from the Region. These will be signed by the President:

Yvon told us that Bruno Lacelle will send us a draft format of the desired quotes.                                                                    (Action: Yvon)

  • iii) Masks or face covers: Following the last Board of Directors meeting, PIPSC is asking the Regions to order their next masks via the E-Store. Benoît pointed out that the obligation to order through the E-Store goes against a resolution adopted in 2016 that cancelled the continuation of the online store. Each Region became responsible for ordering their materials according to the established criteria. A letter was prepared and given to the Director to send to the Board. The letter was sent for translation and the translated copy was returned to Yvon, without being distributed to the other members of the Board. Yvon will follow up.

Yvon indicated that we are now talking about a mask produced by a native company and that it will cost $8.50, taxes and delivery included. Members will place their orders directly with PIPSC.

Yvon delivered our letter to the Board members and we received a terse response from Eddie Gillis. PIPSC would like the masks to be ordered through its office. Other products can be ordered through our regional contacts. Members have until September 30, 2020, to order their masks from PIPSC. Christian points out that PIPSC missed a great opportunity to get ahead of the employer in the distribution of masks. That being said, Richard added that the employer is under the obligation to provide masks to its employees.

  • iv) Virtual training in 2020: Martine indicated that it was Robert who attended the last TEC meeting (June 29, 2020). Robert talks about proposals for virtual training by the EROs. There is no mention in the proposed formula that trainers should be stewards, or even an ERO/steward combination. He is disappointed because he finds that PIPSC does not take into account the very positive and conclusive experience of the Québec Region.

Martine and Robert reiterated their disappointment with PIPSC’s approach to training and will not be attending the next TEC meeting scheduled for the afternoon of September 17. Since Benoît was not available on that date, Richard offered to attend this meeting in order to continue the fight for greater regional autonomy.

  1. Board Meeting on July 24 and 25, 2020 (follow-up on some points)
  • a) Employment Equity Policy: Yvon sent us a document on this topic via the regional drive. He found it unfortunate that this mandate was given to Eddie Gillis’s office rather than to regional members.
  • b) Future Skills Project:

In principle, Eddie Gillis does not intend to present the project at the AGM, contrary to what was done for “Professionals Canada”.

Robert and Hugo sent us documents on this topic via the Drive.

The project seems to be of interest with respect to the recognition of union certifications or other training courses taken by members. However, caution should be exercised regarding other items that may be included in this project.                                                                  (Action: Yvon)


  1. JLP (Joint Learning Program):

Yvon sent us a document on this topic. We will send him our comments after having read it.


  1. Housekeeping:
  • a) 2021 Regional Executive Election:

The question was raised as to how the elections for the next Regional Executive, scheduled for May 2021, will be conducted. Do we need to get permission from PIPSC before proceeding? Stéphanie will find out how the other Regions deal with this and will get back to us with the information.

                                                                                        (Action: Stéphanie)

  • b) 2020 AGM:
  • i) List of participants: Yvon has forwarded us a list of potential delegates who will be invited to take part in PIPSC’s 2020 AGM. This list includes Chapter presidents, regional Executive members and regional Committee members. Suggestions are requested to fill the remaining places.                                            (Action: Yvon)
  • ii) Motions:

We have received a resolution from Philippe Ouimet proposing to replace the 2 full-time and 2 part-time VPs of PIPSC by 3 full-time VPs.

After debating this resolution, we came to the conclusion that we will not sponsor it given the current context (Covid-19); the idea is not bad, but the timing is. Hugo will forward our decision to Philippe.                                                                      (Action: Hugo)

Robert suggested that another resolution be sent out regarding face-to-face member meetings for exceptional situations. This follows PIPSC’s request to maintain the ban on physical meetings until December 31, 2020.

Robert presented us with the wording of his resolution and we unanimously approved it. He will forward it to Julie Gagnon for discussion at the 2020 AGM.                                    (Action: Robert)


  1. Virtual Meeting for Delegates (recent case law):

Valérie Charette suggested that we hold an information session on recent case law, with our delegates, via Zoom. We agree with the project, and we suggested that there could be 2 presentations, one during the week and one on the weekend. It was also suggested that the session be offered in English and that these presentations be recorded for later listening by delegates.                                 (Action: Yvon)


  1. Miscellaneous:
  • a) Normandin Experimental Farm: A member working at Normandin complained about a comment by Yves-François Blanchet (leader of the Bloc Québécois) to the effect that the experimental farm would be an empty shell (according to the title of the article). When we read the reporter’s article, we found that the Farm experience was described positively. Yvon will check with the journalist and/or Yves-François Blanchet to see what the latter really thinks and will get back to us.                                         (Yvon to follow up)
  • b) Minutes: Benoit reported that the minutes of our 2018 and 2019 executive meetings are not available on PIPSC’s website. Réjean said that he forwarded the minutes of the 2018 meeting to Anne Renaud, but probably not those of 2019. Réjean will check with Anne and follow up.                            (Action: Réjean)
  • c) PIPSC Calendar of Events: Richard pointed out that the events appearing on PIPSC’s website are not up to date and show little recent activity. Richard lead a quick round-table discussion to ask if we have lost delegates in our respective departments (or agencies) following the slowdown of activities due to the pandemic. Everyone spoke on this topic and Yvon will ask Linda Thompson for the reasons given by the delegates for not renewing their terms.                                                                         (Action: Yvon)
  • d) Board of Directors meeting on August 12 (follow-up):
  • i) 2020 AGM: see point 4i).
  • ii) Face-to-face meetings: PIPSC has decided to maintain the ban on face-to-face meetings until December 31, 2020. According to Stephanie, meetings planned in 2021 can be rescheduled, with PIPSC’s approval, but we have to make sure to negotiate cancellation clauses at no charge. Following this decision, we have prepared a resolution regarding the holding of face-to-face member meetings in exceptional situations (see item 7 (ii) to this effect).
  • iii) Motions Subcommittee: Benoît and Stéphanie sit on this subcommittee.
  1. Training request for “Social Delegates”: Benoît informed us that he has received a request from Éric D’Amours to present the Social Delegate training to our members in a virtual way. We can hardly imagine offering this kind of training virtually given the highly interactive nature of our regional training courses. Benoît will discuss it with Éric D’Amours and will come back to us on this subject. At the same time, we are discussing the possibility of producing information capsules on different subjects in order to maintain interest among our members. Yvon will talk to the Communications Committee to see what they can do about it.                       (Action: Benoît and Yvon)


10. Round table:

  • a) Réjean asked Yvon if he took part in the selection of the 5 members who were chosen to form the Pension Advisory Committee. Yvon answered that he is not even aware of the existence of this committee. Réjean will forward to Yvon the press release announcing this decision he received from Debi’s office.
  • b) Hugo said that he will have to cancel his annual apple-picking event, given PIPSC’s ban on in-person events. He would have taken the opportunity to distribute masks and cups bearing PIPSC’s colours.
  • c) Richard announced that he has returned to work following a full-time union leave in the last few months. He would like the dates of our executive meetings to be known at least 2 weeks in advance in order to request a union release to attend. He also highlights the current issue of deprofessionalizing the nursing profession.
  • d) Nancy told us that the CSC has given them permission to move from one penitentiary to another.


11.  Date of the next meeting: Yvon suggested that our next executive meeting be held on Monday, September 28th at 8:30 am. This would follow his meeting with the Board of Directors, which will take place on September 25 and 26, 2020.


12.  Adjournment:

Yvon thanked everyone for their participation and the meeting was adjourned.