The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada

Executive meeting — April 24, 2020 (2nd of the year)

Meeting by videoconference via Zoom — Beginning of the meeting: 8:30 am 



  1. Welcome and call to order:

Yvon welcomed everyone and will chair the meeting.

In attendance: Yvon Brodeur, Richard Doyle, Stéphanie Fréchette, Martine Lacroix, Hugo Landry, Réjean Michaud, Benoît Pelletier, Gerlando Renna and Robert Tellier.

Regrets: Nancy Lavoie and Christian Tremblay.


  1. Approval of the agenda:

All in favour — The motion is carried following a few minor changes.


  1. Approval of the previous meeting minutes (April 3, 2020):

The minutes of the April 3 meeting were unanimously approved.


  1. Business arising from the minutes:
  • a) Possibility of an extra day at the hotel in September to hold the Regional Council (RC) and the Steward Council (SC) jointly:

Benoît has contacted the hotel to see if we can add Thursday, September 10th to our group reservation. Unfortunately, the hotel did not return his call. He contacted them again by email.

For his part, Hugo has contacted the “Pharmachien" to book several possible dates in his agenda for that weekend.

                                                                                                    Action: Benoît

  • b) Selection Committee for the Steward of the Year Award:

Hugo contacted Renaud Guiard and Pierre Potvin to ask them to join him in the selection committee for the Delegate of the Year Award; they accepted.


  • c) Possibility for constituent bodies to use Zoom at PIPSC’s expense: PIPSC has approved the use of Zoom by constituent bodies at their own expense. However, the logistics are not quite ready for everyone.


  1. 2020 AGM:
  • a) Options: Three options were considered for PIPSC’s AGM in November.
  • i) Virtual AGM: This option was not retained by the Board of Directors because it is too technically complex.
  • ii) Combined AGM (virtual and people on site): This option was also rejected.
  • iii) Postponed AGM: PIPSC has asked Industry Canada to consider postponing the 2020 AGM to next year. Decision to come. Martine asked Yvon to inquire about the consequences of postponing the AGM, as requested, for PIPSC. A special BOD meeting should be held next May to make a decision                                                    Action: Yvon


  • b) Registration: Registration for the National AGM normally opens May 1st. Given the current circumstances, registration has been postponed to June 1st.


  • c) Change or update provided by the Board on June 12, 2020: If the special meeting of the Board is not held, the final decision will be made at the June 12 Board meeting.



  1. Holding of the Regional Council (RC) and the Steward Council of Delegates (SC) in September 2020:

Yvon presented to the Board our project to combine the CR and the SC during the weekend scheduled for the SC on September 11 and 12, 2020, and add Thursday, September 10 to our booking. Like the questioning about the national AGM, we conclude that it would not be practical to hold these councils virtually. There is some question as to whether the RC should be rescheduled or held with a limited number of people. We will wait for a final decision regarding the National AGM before a decision is made. Benoît said that all reservations can still be cancelled for the hotel as of today. Since it is unlikely that the event will be held as usual, we are considering holding an event with a limited number of people (e.g., Executive members, Chapter presidents and other appropriate people). Several statutory reports could be submitted in writing beforehand. We are awaiting future developments.


  1. PIPSC Advertising Campaign on COVID:

Yvon sent us a document to the effect that PIPSC had allocated a budget of $200,000 for an advertising campaign regarding the situation created by COVID.    No additional comments.                  



  1. Policy Statement on Union Education:

Following the reading by executive members of the document prepared by Robert, Hugo and Gerry suggested some minor corrections. Following these comments, the document was unanimously adopted by the regional executive. Hugo, seconded by Réjean, suggested that a one or two-page flyer should be prepared in parallel to the document to be presented to members attending the national AGM, in order to convince them to adopt our way of doing things. Robert has also prepared a presentation timeline which, for the moment, will remain outstanding given the uncertainty related to the pandemic that affects all of our activities. We will continue the project at the appropriate time.



  1. PIPSC 100th Anniversary Project:

Yvon sent us a document to the effect that PIPSC had allocated a budget of $43,000 for each region to plant trees in a location chosen by them.

If we go ahead with this project, we will have to ensure good visibility for PIPSC by holding, among other things, a special happening. Logistical details will need to be known before choosing a location.

Secondly, several executive members suggested that this budget could be allocated to a more significant purpose, given the problematic situation created by COVID-19 (purchase of disinfectants, food or donations of money for people or organizations in great need at this time). Yvon will ask PIPSC if we can redirect the budget to organizations in need.

                                                                                                          Follow-up: Yvon


10. Miscellaneous:

  • a) Richard told us about his purchase of masks (300) for the members of his department and some others. Stéphane Aubry has already granted him a budget of $2,000 through the Better Together program. He asked the Region to provide him with a budget of $1,000 to cover costs and to cover shipping costs outside of his workplace. Robert suggested instead that a budget of $4,000 be allocated to cover the purchase of 300 additional masks for other Chapters (among other things, Benoît would like to receive about 100). The proposal was approved by all. Richard’s previous order included grey masks with the Better Together logo. 

Action: Richard


  • b) Robert: Regarding the union training that will be cancelled this year, he wonders if the 2020 budget can be carried over to next year (and added to the 2021 budget) so that more training can be offered. He asked Yvon to speak to the Board and Martine to share it with the TEC.

Action: Yvon and Martine


11. Round table:

All are asked to take care of themselves and others.


12. Date of next meeting and adjournment:

Our next meeting (the 3rd of 2020) should take place next May by videoconference, following the special meeting of the Board of Directors in May.

Ideally, this meeting would be held on a Friday morning at 8:30 am.




Motioned by: Richard                        Seconded by: Benoît