January 23, 2020
To: BC/Yukon Region Stewards
From: Ernie McLean, Regional Manager, BC/Yukon and Prairie Region
Peter MacDougall, Chair, BC/Yukon Regional Training Committee
Re: BC/Yukon Advanced Training School – April 15 – 18, 2020
We are pleased to inform you that the BC/Yukon Advanced Training School will be offered on April 15 – 18, 2020 at the Fairmont Empress in Victoria, BC
The Training School offers specialized modules once a year to all stewards who have completed Basic Steward Training.
Training will take place over four (4) days as follows:
- A half day on Wednesday, April 15th from 1400 until 1800
- Reception on Wednesday, April 15th from 1800 until 1930
- A full day on Thursday, April 16th from 0900 until 1700
- A full day on Friday, April 17th from 0900 until 1700
- Dinner on Friday, April 17th from 1800 until 2100
- A half day on Saturday, April 18th from 0900 until 1200
This year’s school will offer one course on Collective Agreement Interpretation and Administration and Grievance Preparation, Research and Presentation.
The goals and course objectives are as follows:
- To teach stewards to know what is and isn’t a grievance
- To give stewards the skills and ability to properly prepare, research and present grievances
- Allow stewards the ability to have hands-on experience researching the basis of the grievance by reading past grievance settlements, arbitrations and various other tribunal decisions, as well as agreements between the union and the employer
- In addition, stewards learn to work closely with the ERO’s
By the end of the training session, participants will develop and increase their skills to:
- Actively listen and increase skills with regard to interviewing
- Properly prepare a grievance
- Take proper and accurate notes at a grievance hearing
- Represent members at first level grievance hearings by formulating proper and concise arguments
- Advocate on behalf of the member
- Properly research a grievance or other issues
- Work closely with PIPSC staff
It is expected that you will attend the School in its entirety.
Note that participants may be expected to complete home work assignments in the evenings.
Please complete the on-line registration form, which is located on the PIPSC website. The on-line registration form is required no later than Monday, March 2, 2020, to be considered for participation in the Training School. Registration will not be accepted by fax or telephone.
As the Training School is limited to forty (40) participants, a selection criteria has been established and will be applied when reviewing the applications. Please note, that those who have taken the same course between 2016-2019 are not eligible to attend this year.
Once your registration has been received and reviewed, you will be sent an e-mail advising whether you have been selected or not selected to take this training. If you are not selected you will be placed on a waiting list and may be contacted up to two weeks before the Training School to attend in the situation of a cancellation. Please be advised that travel arrangements cannot be made, nor will hotel reservations be made in your name, until you have received confirmation by e-mail from the Vancouver Regional Office.
In addition to the registration form, please find attached a document outlining administrative details for this event.
If you have any questions regarding the Training School and registration process, please contact Patricia Fung at 604 688.8238 or 1.800.663.0485, extension 7820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to meeting and working with you.
BC/Yukon and Prairie Region
Chair, BC/Yukon Regional