Attention: All current and former NU-EMAs in receipt of settlement funds under the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal award in Walden et. al. v. Canada

It has come to PIPSC's attention that many NU-EMAs who received financial compensation under the July 2012 Walden v. Canada (equal pay for equal work) settlement agreement have experienced differential tax treatment by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with respect to the funds received. 

This issue affects the entitlements of our current and former members and PIPSC takes this issue very seriously.  PIPSC is further concerned from a tax fairness perspective about the differential treatment of settlement recipients.  As such, PIPSC wishes to work with the CRA on behalf of affected individuals to ensure clear and consistent tax treatment of the funds at issue. 

In order to facilitate and support these negotiations, PIPSC must gather detailed information from all affected individuals.  As such, all settlement recipients who:

a) believe that their settlement funds may have been unfairly treated by CRA, and;

b) have pending or resolved objections or appeals with CRA in relation to those funds

 should contact PIPSC right away and no later than February 28, 2018 to provide us with further information about your particular circumstances.  Even if you have contacted PIPSC before about these issues, in order to ensure that we have the most accurate and up-to-date information, we ask that you once again get in touch with us.  We ask that even individuals who are content with the outcome of their dealings with CRA get in touch with us in order to help us obtain tax fairness for all settlement recipients.  All affected individuals should identify themselves by sending an email , Employment Relations Officer.

Your ERO, will work with you to get all relevant details about your particular situation.  All information provided will be kept confidential.  If you ultimately decide you would like PIPSC to be able to discuss your specific case in negotiations/discussions with CRA, you will have to sign a consent form explicitly authorizing PIPSC to speak with CRA on your behalf.  This form can be discussed further and completed with your ERO assistance. 

Thank you in advance for your contribution in helping us achieve tax fairness for our current and past members. 

Better together!