Family Care Policy
December 7, 2018
Purpose and Scope
The objective of this policy is to remove one of the barriers which prevent members from participating in union activities.
The policy is intended to assist the member in covering additional fees incurred as a direct result of attending an authorized PIPSC activity.
Where the member is the sole caregiver at the time of the authorized union activity, the Institute will cover costs for care during the day outside normal work/school/daycare hours. Family care costs that would have ordinarily been incurred during work hours had the member been at his/her place of work are not covered.
This policy shall not cover cost for care provided by a spouse/partner, former spouse/partner with custody rights or a relative residing in the household.
Members are entitled to claim fees related to the care of the following family members who reside on a full or part-time basis with the member:
- a child under 18 years of age;
- a person with a disability;
- an adult, who is a dependant, requiring care.
Claim and Receipts
An Expense Claim form must be submitted, accompanied by a receipt, which must include the following information:
- Caregiver’s full name
- Caregiver’s full address
- Caregiver’s telephone number
- Caregiver’s license number (if applicable)
- Detailed dates and hours when the care was provided for each individual family member
- Amount charged
- Caregiver’s signature
Reimbursement of fees
Where the care is provided by someone other than a licensed agency/caregiver or the spouse/partner, former spouse/partner with custody rights. (A "24 hour period" is defined as care provided between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 7:29 a.m. the following day.):
- the actual amount up to a maximum of $12 per hour, up to a maximum rate of $80 for each 24 hour period for the first family member;
- the actual amount up to a maximum of $12 per hour,up to a maximum rate of $55 for each 24 hour period for each additional family member.
If care is provided by a licensed agency/attendant, the actual fees will be reimbursed.