Ontario Region Executive Meeting - September 8, 2022 - White Oaks

Present:         J. Purdie, C. L’Estrange, T. Yantsis, A. Stone, P. Tsuji, D. Kamaldin, R. Kaura, B. Brawley, T. MacDonald, M. Chan

Regrets:         T. Zaharapoulos

The meeting was called to order at 1:18 p.m.

  1. Opening remarks

Director acknowledged land usage.  The Regional Office Manager’s Report will not be presented at this meeting.  The Director welcomed Mandy Chan as the newest member of the ORE.

  1. Approval of the Agenda

MOTION to approve the Agenda

Moved:           Anthony Stone

2nd:                 Chris L’Estrange Carried

  1. Approval of the Minutes

MOTION to approve the August 13, 2022 Minutes

Moved:           Bridget Brawley

2nd:                  Anthony Stone  Consensus

MOTION to approve the September 6, 2022 Minutes

Moved:           Tina MacDonald

2nd:                  Tom Yantsis  Consensus

  1. Tracking Report

The Tracking Report was used to update the action items from previous meetings. 

MOTION to go in Camera at 2:54 and came out of camera at 3:13

Director to follow up with Stacey Mclaren about Toronto Centre        Action: Purdie

Google Drive co-ordinator to change the responsibility of submitting the resolutions from the Secretary to the Director in the Strategic Plan. 

Action: Brawley

  1. Treasurer’s report - Yantsis

Treasurer gave an update on our financial position in his Treasurer’s report.  There was a problem with the Swag for OSC since the logo was upside down on the travel mugs. We had a discussion about the Swag for the PIPSC AGM.

MOTION to approve Swag for the PIPSC AGM for up to 100 items with a total budget of up to $X.

Moved:           Anthony Stone

2nd:                 Mandy Chan  Carried

The Director to ask HQ for funding for the Christmas Staff dinner  Action: Purdie

Angie Logan is the new Sergeant-at-arms.

  1. Regional Office Manager’s report - Kredenster

There was no report presented at the meeting.     

ORE to submit AGM swag ideas to the Treasurer for the PIPSC AGM.  Action: ORE

  1. Review of Committees

a) BOD Committees

i) BLPC – No report filed

Ii) Elections Appeals – No report filed

iii) Finance – No report filed

iv) Human Rights – No report filed

v) Information Technology – No report filed

vi) Professional Recognition – No report filed

vii) Science Advisory – No report filed

b) ORE Committees

i) Training Committee

The Training Committee met this morning.  The Committee wants to document more information in the Training Minutes so it will be available for future Training Committees. The National Training Committee will meet on September 19, 2022, and topics such as the Ontario Provincial Groups to be discussed.

Rachit and Bridget will attend the Peer to Peer training but will need to make sure that the roles of the ERO are not overstepped.  The Training Chair is responsible to administer the Lunch and Learn program. 

The basic Steward training will occur in October at the 1 King Street location.  The next February and October basic Steward training has already been booked at 1 King Street. The next Labour School will be May 24-27, 2023 with the topics to be determined.

ii) Bylaw and Policy

Discussed previously in the Tracking Report.

iii) Visibility Mobilization Events Committee

Participation of about 70 people in the Labour Day Parade.  There are some banners that need to be returned to Heather.

 iv) Branch Liaison

A newsletter was sent to the Presidents and Vice-Presidents to update them about the ORE.  The Liaison was able to get more personal email addresses but the end goal is to get a database of all the Branch president’s personal emails.

v) Ontario Provincial Groups Liaison

Need to talk to the Provincial groups about the items at the OSC.  The topic of Peer Review needs to be brought to the attention of Marcia for follow-up.

Ontario Provincial Groups Liaison to communicate with Krystal about the National Committee   Action: MacDonald

vi) Young Professionals Liaison

Liaison to present the recruitment message at the OSC and the recruitment message letter will be posted on the PIPSC website once it has been translated. Liaison wants to create an email for communications and have a dedicated space on the PIPSC website for the Ontario Region.      

  1. Regional Council

A draft Agenda for the Fern Resort was presented and we may need to check with Fern about Coffee Breaks and we may now need 6 break-out rooms.  There are 102 rooms at Fern and we have 99 delegates and a Guest Speaker and potentially the president so we may only have a 1 room buffer.  There was discussion that the executive would go to Rama if there was a problem with a shortage of rooms.

Discussed that members with mobility issues should be given ground floor units. Some members may complain about the facilities.  We need to follow up with Fern later in November.  We were given orders from the BOD to visit the extra night issue for events.

Discussed some Provincial group issues such as Bill 124 and fighting privatization.

Provincial Group’s Liaison to send OFL contact to OSC Chair  Action: MacDonald

9. Next Meeting  September 9, 2022, White Oaks