Filing a disability claim
These instructions are for the Public service disability insurance (DI) plan in the following groups:
NRC (RO/RCO, IS, LS, TR)
Please note: Members under the Public service management insurance plan may follow these instructions, noting the links to their plan are provided in the link section below.
- Notify your PIPSC steward or employee relations officer so that your case receives proper attention before filing. This person can assist you in understanding the application process.
- Inform your direct supervisor that you plan to apply for disability insurance. Ask for any information that they can provide.
- Consult your physician or nurse practitioner. If they feel that you are unable to work, you will need to complete a disability form with their assistance. Your physician or nurse practitioner must provide evidence to support the diagnosis – such as test or mental health screening results. They must also explain why your disability prevents you from working at all. It is important they explain why the disability cannot be medically accommodated by the employer with changes to the working environment and procedures.
- Submit the documents to the insurer and provide a copy to your employee relations officer or steward. Sun Life has the right to request additional medical information from your healthcare provider, or to arrange for your examination by their medical specialists.
- Sun Life will provide you with a pamphlet “A Step-by-Step Guide to the Disability Claim Process” after it receives your claim.
Remember: It is up to you to provide complete and objective medical proof of your disability as quickly as possible. The insurer will not approve a claim which does not include sufficient, objective justification of the diagnosis. Omissions or lack of clarity may result in delays in settling your claim.