The Applied Science and Patent Examination (SP) Group executive is seeking nominations for 6 executive national positions, elected for a 3-year term.
Nominations must be submitted by 12:00 PM (noon) ET on February 19, 2021.
There are 3 positions open only to SP members in the National Capital Region (NCR), and 3 other national positions open to any members outside the NCR in the following regions to form the national pool:
- Prairies and Northwest Territories
- British Columbia and Yukon
Members are encouraged to participate in this union leadership opportunity, especially if they identify as a member of an equity-seeking group.
The nomination and election process is governed by our Group bylaws.
Reminder: As per SP Group bylaw 7.2.3:
- “… Regular members agreeing to stand for a position on the Group Executive must fill a position in the area in which their workplace is located...”
- “... Retired members agreeing to stand for election must fill a position in the area in which their residence is located,and only if no regular members are standing for election…”
Summary of the process:
- Nominations must be supported by at least 5 SP members.
- The Elections Committee will review the nominations to make sure nominees are eligible
- Should the number of candidates for a position exceed the number of positions to be filled, the Elections Committee will arrange for an election by the applicable members in that region.
- Nominees must indicate a willingness to serve, if elected.
- Nominees must review and respect the Group Elections Code of Conduct.
As a member of the group executive, your role is to:
- Further the professional interests of the members.
- Protect the status and standards of our profession.
- Represent the views of the members on matters affecting them.
- Ensure that the interests of the Group are represented in all proceedings of the employer and of the union.
This is a voluntary role, and you will be eligible for union leave to participate in all union activities. The Group Executive will meet as frequently as is required, but at least twice a year.