PIPSC WINNIPEG and SOUTHERN MANITOBA BRANCH EXECUTIVE
Meeting – April 9, 2019 at 5:00 pm
960-363 Broadway Ave., Winnipeg, MB
Present: Pramesh Selliah, Donna Johnston, Cory Graham, Kevin Jacobs, David Hakes, Linda Howes, Jason Caners Terri Gobeil, Jay Krishnan
Regrets: Mo Khakbazan, Chris Freeman
- Call to Order
- Linda called the meeting to order at 17:13.
- Approval of Agenda
- Moved by Linda, seconded by Pramesh, motion carried
- Minutes of last meetings, March 21, 2019
- Moved by Cory, seconded by Donna. motion carried
- President’s Report
- PRC – mandatory for all delegates to attend the March on May 25!
- See attached report for full details
Member engagement events:
- lunch & Learn May 14 - Jay
- Brandon open house & Christmas event - Mo
- Wpg Open House – Donna/Pramesh
- Strike! Musical ticket give away.
MOTION: Branch buys 4 tickets to Rainbow Stage production of STRIKE! The Musical (2 sets of 2) for advertising and give away to members as prize for a draw. Estimate $xx for the tickets. Linda Moved, Pramesh Second. Carried.
- Bomber Game – Jason
- Steward Appreciation – Dave – ideas – axe throwing, rumors comedy club, brew pub, billards, bowling – possibly in the fall
- Goldeyes game – Donna looked into pricing
- PIPSC 101 – lunch & learn – Cory – targeted towards the Group as separate employers not Federal/treasury board.
- Branch L&L – PIPSC 101 – Jay / Kevin
- Possible Member Volunteerism events –
- Clean up day
- Flood fighting
- Serving at Slalom Mission
- Winnipeg Harvest
- Christmas Cheer Board
- Public Service Week –
- Jay BBQ @ work
- Kevin – something with PSAC
- Linda – Lombard event
- Wpg Pride Parade – aug 28
- Labour Day event – Chris / Pramesh
- Remembrance Day – lay a wreath
- Member Picnic / BBQ – Branch level – idea of buy some toys/games, etc and raffle them off to attendees at the end of the event.
Nancy – May 15/16 – L&L – noon at PIPSC office. Topic – 3 Central Bargaining Pillars.
Norma, VP visit – May 13-17. L&L at Lab
Ideas for Promotional items:
PIPSC AGM (Nov 8/9, 2019)
Registration starts May 1, 2019. 654 delegates. 5 delegates from WASM Branch. Selection of branch attendees based upon who was not delegate last year & then remainder random selection from all names entered.
Delegates 2018: Chris, Terri, Mo
Delegates 2019: Jay, Pramesh, Cory, Kevin, David
Alternatives 2019: Jason, Terri, Chris, Donna, Mo
- Treasurer’s Report
- Circulated financial report.
- Received annual allotment.
- Reimbursed for 2017 AGM (salary) which was erroneously charged to the Branch.
- Motion to accept financial report. Moved Jason, Seconded Kevin. Carried.
- New Business
- Event Planning – discussed above.
- Other Business:
- Selection of dates for future meetings:
- May 7, 2019
- June 4, 2019
- September 5, 2019
- Selection of dates for future meetings:
- Round Table
- Terri – 9 new nurses starting in May. Possibly more in September. AFM SH subgroup May 9.
- Donna – Retired members guild AGM, 12 attendees. Donna Elected Secretary – Paul Schick, President.
- Jay – Sean Kembell is a tour guide for Wpg Strike tours. Marshall training for the Parade – Jay volunteers if position open. Possibly purchase Thank You for VP and Director visit.
MOTION: Move the branch to use 2 of the Cineplex gift cards to distribute to CP and Regional Director as Thank you for coming to Winnipeg, Linda moved, Jason second. Carried.
MOTION: Jay to be reimbursed for the 15 - $XX gift cards purchased on the Branches behalf for Cineplex. Moved Terri, Linda Second. Carried.
- Dave – no news
- Kevin – attended SP AGM in Montreal last weekend. Is a Friend of Science Advisory Committee. Attended first meeting a few weeks ago.
- Jason – CS Subgroup AGM, Thursday.
- Cory – MAGE AGM scheduled for April 30.
- Linda – AV subgroup meeting – Victoria in May. Ottawa L&L ACFO & D. Daviau. Attending PRC in May.
Standing motion to reimburse Cory for dinner cost - $xx and Donna for allergen appropriate meal: $xx. Reimburse Cory $xx for plates, cutlery, bowls and take out containers for branch use.
Motion: Moved by Cory.
Meeting adjourned at 19:13
President’s Report is available upon request
 Donna notified that due to Constitution of the WASM Retired Members, the Secretary-Treasurer is a combined position, so she will not be fulfilling the Secretary Role. To split into two roles, needs a bylaw change. Secretary-Treasurer will be filled by John White.