DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING: Feb 7/2019
CELTIC CORNER DARTMOUTH, N.S.
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:36 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice- President, Kevin Jack – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Don Eldershaw, Christine Dugal, Mounah Zrein, Joe Rossiter, Eric Thornhill and George Turner – Members at Large
CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. He asked everyone to introduce themselves. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Don moved to accept the agenda and Mounah seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Dec 6 th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Mounah moved to accept the minutes and Paul seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Dec 6th meeting)
Initially discussion was on delaying Hop Skip and Jump social event to the fall. However we may be able to get additional funding through shared event with Halifax branch, youth committee or Better Together campaign. If this is the case, we may look at holding it earlier than the fall.
Action: Jenn to inquire about Youth Committee funding at meeting in Ottawa.
Action: Everett to discuss sharing event with Halifax branch.
Action: Mounah to inquire about Better Together funding.
Long discussion about location of our next branch AGM. Locations suggested were Fleet club, Juno tower (probably too expensive), an establishment in the business park, at a legion or Cha Baa Thai again.
Action: Christine to research business park options.
Action: Everett to contact Fleet Club and confirm catering option(s).
Action: George to inquire about holding at a legion.
Action: Everett to contact head office for potential guest speaker.
Executive discussed the member contentment question brought up at our last meeting. It was decided that best way to investigate is to organize a workshop/social with our nine stewards to discuss the issue.
Action: Everett to organize social with stewards.
6. FINANCIAL UPDATE
- Kevin passed out a proposed 2019 budget and gave a short summary of items.
- Kevin stated that he would apply for branch allotment in Mar if not earlier and
- Christine volunteered to lay the Remembrance Day Wreath this year. As well it was discussed about redirecting the $X gift card given to retirees to new members to encourage future participation.
- Kevin moved to accept the budget and Jenn seconded the motion and the budget was accepted as presented.
Everett mentioned that a new parking policy is coming soon.
Action: Everett to check on release date.
- George mentioned an issue with the proposed wording of the harrassment section in a collective agreement.
- Jenn mentioned that because of the current impasse in PSAC negotiations, PIPSC may benefit from this as the government tries to come to an agreement with one of it’s major unions.
- Jenn also spoke about the Employee Wellness Support Program (EWSP) to improve employee wellness currently being championed by the HS group (see website for details). She also mentioned a one day training session she had on the Road to Mental Health.
8. SOCIAL EVENTS
Don mentioned that there will be a skating party at the Dartmouth Sportsplex on Mar 17th. He added that children under 12 need a helmet and he will be sending out a notice (already completed).
9. STEM EVENT UPDATE
Kevin gave a short brief on the recent event he and Everett attended. Final event is Mar 2nd and Kevin will send information on the recent event to Catherine for posting on the website. Jenn is looking forward to a similar initiative in Health services this year.
10. Branch AGM Preps
Covered in depth in Action Item review.
11. Round Table
Eric brought up an interesting phenomenon unique to DRDC where CS's are being asked to go to sea to support trials and there is no clause in their CA to cover this work. George also mentioned that the roles of EG's and CS's are sometimes blurred at times.
Action: Everett to discuss issue with CS group for possible inclusion during current CA negotiations.
Kevin was approached about a LMCC (Labour Management Consultation Committee). Agenda items were discussed with other unions and submitted to the Lt(N), but no further action was taken by management. This reflects the poor communication between management and labour presently at the school and the lack of consistent LMRC's may need to be escalated to exert pressure on management.
Action: Kevin to report back on status of LMRC's at next meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 6:32 PM.
Next meeting: Thursday Apr 4, location TBD.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Feb 7 /19
Hop Skip Jump
Jenn to inquire about Youth Committee funding at meeting in Ottawa. Next meeting.
Everett to discuss sharing event with Halifax branch. Next meeting.
Mounah to inquire about Better Together funding.
AGM Location Preps
Christine to research business park options. Next meeting.
Everett to contact Fleet Club and confirm catering option(s). Next meeting.
Everett to contact head office for potential guest speaker. Next meeting.
George to inquire about holding at a legion. Next meeting.
Everett To organize social with stewards to discuss member contentment. ASAP
Everett to check on new parking policy release date. Next meeting.
Everett to discuss sea trial clause issue with CS group for possible inclusion during current CA negotiations. Next meeting.
Kevin to report back on status of LMRC's. Next meeting.