DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING: Feb 15/2018
nEW FLEET CLUB - TRIBUTE tower
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:45 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice-President, Mounah Zrein – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Don Eldershaw, Catherine Courtney, Mike MacIsaac, Colin Davis and Kevin Jack – Members at Large
1. CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
2. MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Colin moved to accept the agenda and Mounah seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
3. REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Jan 11th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
4. MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Mounah moved to accept the minutes and Don seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Jan 11th meeting)
Jenn gave a short presentation on holding a Hop Skip and Jump social event.
- for 25 children, cost would be $XXX.00 (XX.XX per child after this level).
- With other expenses, budget should not exceed $XXX.00.
- Best for a winter/fall event on a Sunday.
Action: Don to email membership to gauge interest in event.
STEM Event - Kevin provided a further update on his research into the branch sponsoring a STEM event. He presented four options and he suggested that we look at option B as the best for providing swag/prizes that would have a lasting affect on the kids. The executive agreed to proceed with the B option. First N.S. Math League event is in November and Kevin will attend to publicize the PIPSC contribution and make presentations.
Action: Mounah to check if some of the cost of this expenditure could be covered by some other PIPSC initiative.
There seems to be some confusion about the logistics on the pension briefing discussed at the last meeting.. Everett stated that the briefing is usually given at night, so no need for any type of approved Admiral’s leave.
Action: Mounah to look at cost of holding a session (at Fleet Club possibly) and if Halifax branch would also be interested and if so logistics for parking etc.
Don to see if RMG could contribute funds to defray some of the costs.
Mike commented on the recent base closures at FMFCS and how military members are treated differently when it comes to associated leave. Mike spoke to Dave Rutherford who confirmed the issue has never been brought up at the FMF LMRC. Generally it is left up to the discretion of the supervisor/manager as to what is required. Mike ended by stating that if it was to continue then he would push to get a formal SOP produced to give guidance on handling the issue.
6. FINANCIAL UPDATE
Mounah stated that we have currently have around $XXX.00 on hand. He passed out a draft budget that included a $XXX.00 expense for STEM events. He went over some of the adjustments he has had to make to keep the budget in the black.
Action: Mounah to go over draft budget in more depth next meeting.
Everett mentioned that we have a new rep for the Base Logistics LMRC. Alex Greenough, a member of the CS group, would like to set up a lunch and learn with the twelve employees to better understand local issues. He has been instructed to ask for prior approval to the training committee for cost reimbursement.
Colin mentioned that you should be able to check how much of a taxable benefit you received for 2017 paid parking. The info should be accessible on the Phoenix site, not the CWA site and be identified by a Dec 27th entry.
8. SOCIAL EVENTS
Don mentioned the March 3rd Oval event. He also mentioned that there are discussions between the Halifax branch and RMG to book an arena for skating in the fall. He asked if we were interested?
9. Branch AGM
Everett spent a few minutes discussing the plan to have a common AGM between the Halifax branch and our branch. It would be held in Nov and the executive is in favour. Mike asked if the Halifax branch members would be able to park on the base.
Action: Everett to ask Mess Manager if we can bring in an outside caterer for the event.
10. ARC in Moncton May 25-26
Everett briefly touched on the upcoming ARC and that he is hoping we have 5 spots. Slated to go are Everett, Jenn and Kevin. Everett to ask Heather. Alternates are Mike, Mounah and Paul.
Action: Everett to ask Heather if she is interested in going.
11. Round Table
Don asked if we knew of any members retiring soon. RMG is planning on inviting an investment advisor May 16 to the Smitty's at Lacewood. If anyone is interested contact Don at -- Eldershaw@eastlink.ca
The meeting adjourned at 6:40 PM.
Next meeting: Sometime in April, exact date and location TBD.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Feb 15th /18
To send email to branch members gauging interest in attending Hop Skip Jump social activity.
Before Next Meeting
To check if some of the cost of the STEM Events(s) could be covered by some other PIPSC initiative.
Pension Info Session - To look at cost of holding a session (at Fleet Club possibly) and if Halifax branch would also be interested and if so logistics for
To see if RMG could contribute funds to defray some of the costs.
To go over draft budget in more depth next meeting.
Upcoming Branch AGM - Everett to ask Mess Manager if we can bring in an outside caterer for the event.
To ask Heather if she is interested in going to ARC in May.