Victoria SP Subgroup AGM
February 22 2018
- Welcome and Roll Call
Morgan Cranny (MC) called the meeting to order at 12:15pm. General welcome extended to all attendees and introductions.
Copies of agenda, last years AGM minutes and financial statements were distributed.
- Approval of Agenda
Motion to approve by Bill Riel (BR) and 2nd by Greg Smith (GS)
- Approval and Adoption of Minutes of 2017 AGM
Motion to approve by Rob Price (RP) and 2nd by Kaz Shimamura (KS)
- Business Arising from Minute
- Report from the President
Motion to accept approved by GS and 2nd by Brian Low (BR). Unanimous acceptance.
- Annual Financial Report
Eric Neilson (EN) presented the Treasurers report.
- expenses for Executive Meeting: executive would like to hold more frequent meetings than in the past. No objections raised.
- Monies are available to support related events – we want to increase engagement with members eg. Bike to work week, lunch and learns – both ideas and requests for support are encouraged
- Other expense lines can be added to our budget – please submit ideas/requests.
Motion to accept by Chris West CW and 2nd by RP. Unanimous acceptance.
- Report of the Election Committee
Positions of Secretary and up to 3 Members-at-Large up for elections. Nominations requested.
Secretary: Katrina Johnston (KJ) acclaimed
Member at large: Kaz Shimamura acclaimed
Two member-at-large positions still open.
- New Business
- Speaking notes from Strategic Bargaining Committee meeting summarized.
- Bargaining survey in development – encourage all to complete.
- Creation central table for certain issues such as they did with sick leave
- New banner – PIPSC Nat’l will cover costs if we want MC to follow up.
- New professional leave PowerPoint available – MC to follow up.
- Date for our AGM: Executive would like to ensure a date is established that helps to ensure as much participation as possible. Eric to look into what if any restrictions financially we have in picking a date. Executive to review.
- Guest Speaker: Rob MacDonald, Regional Director BC/YT Region
- Keeping issues in the media is key
- -need to support capacity in workplace; harmonious workplace
- Working to be able to use sick leave for domestic violence situations
- Feb 28th rally downtown at 1230 Government St
- May 16th Event being set up with Debi Daviau
- SPs – another round of bargaining is coming up – extremely important to complete the surveys – unions must submit issues/items up front and cannot add later so early engagement and participation with members is important.
- Some issues on the radar: administrative burdens; pensions – must not take what we have for granted and stay vigilant. Bill C27 is introduced. No consultation. Sanctity of agreements not preserved – no negotiations for renegotiation. Has not gone past 1st reading however.
- Phoenix: PIPSC first union to set up a help line and offers interest free loans. We cannot sue however there is a Policy grievance by PIPSC.
- If you do not get an answer in 21 days then file a grievance.
- PIPSC website - grievance policy forms and procedures. Support is being given to Stewards so please speak to them.
A motion to adjourn was made at by Bill Riel and 2nd by Andrew Dyk.