AFS-SG HQ-Executive Meeting

Date: April 24, 2019

Location: Madison’s New York Grill & Bar-189 Lyon St N, Ottawa, ON K1R 5C1

Present: Susan Amog-Hassall, Abraham Garcia, Muhammad Alam, Chris Patterson, April Chen, Jyoti Tanotra, Andra Weis, Art Iwinski and Brian Hassall

Regrets: Domingo Chavez, Nick Watson, Michael Patterson.





Call to Order


Susan announced quorum and called the meeting to order at 5:00PM.


Agenda was provided electronically.



Previous Minutes

Minutes of the previous executive meeting was sent out electronically.


No further comments


Moved by Abraham and seconded by Art that the minutes be accepted.  Carried








Financial Position/Allocation for 2019


Financial position presentation postponed follow up allocation of funding for this year. Abraham will follow up with Nick.


President’s Report


Susan reported on the Branch UMC (Union Management Committee).

Susan reminded everyone again about Regional Council is May 3-4, 2019.







Chief Steward/ Advisor Report

Union Management Approach(UMA)

Brian updated on UMC meeting:

  • Update on accommodation – everyone moved from 100 Metcalf.
  • Floors allocations from now till year 2020.
  • 16 and 17 floors retrofit in year 2020.


National PIPSC AGM at Lac-Leamy in November -- Susan discussed possible seats allocations. 



AFS AGM in Winnipeg - Susan reminded to book travel through BCD travel. Delta hotel was booked by PIPSC.


Susan reminded about the special event on Friday evening at the 

Canadian Museum for Human Rights.


Brian updated on 100th Anniversary of the Winnipeg General Strike. To celebrate this Anniversary there will be a concert downtown Winnipeg at Saturday night. Brian suggested to reserve tickets since the concert will be very popular event.


Brian reminded about AFS Regional Council next weekend. It is half a day Friday and all day Saturday. There will be a caucus Friday afternoon and “meet people” event after.


Brian also reminded that there will be bargaining next week.

And provided brief update on meetings in March and next meeting in May.     


“Do Better” campaign for May 8 to provide coffee and Timbits at Place de Ville and Minto - cost up to $500.00. Moved by Abraham and seconded by Art.



Visibility Promotion Items

Some examples of visibility items were presented. All agreed to make decisions by emails. 


Cases discussions

There was some time allotted to discuss some cases being handled by the executives. Chris asked the questions about combination of some job classifications. He also raised the phoenix pay system issues for employees transferred between different departments.

Andra talked about the reallocation of employees.  



AFS-SG Planning events for the year


There will be on-going planning for the events throughout the year.


Round table


There will be email confirming May 8 complaint.



Andra moved and Jyoti seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 5:55 PM.