PIPSC WINNIPEG and SOUTHERN MANITOBA BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING
February 27, 2020 5:00 pm
PIPSC Office 960-363 Broadway Ave., Winnipeg, MB
Present: Christine Freeman, Terri Gobeil, Cory Graham, David Hakes, Kevin Jacobs, Donna Johnston, Mo Khakbazan (Phone), Pramesh Selliah
Regrets: Jason Caners
1. Call to Order
- Cory called the meeting to order at 17:02
2. Approval of Agenda
- Add Prairie Regional Council
- Add PIPSC AGM
- Moved by Pramesh/seconded by Donna that the agenda, as amended, be approved.
3. Approval of Minutes:
- Moved by Kevin/ seconded by David that the minutes of January 14, 2020 be approved as circulated
4. President’s Report
- Cory attended the Prairie Northwest Territories Regional Executive Meeting February 6-7, 2020.
- The deadlines for delegate for the Prairie Regional Council was discussed
- PRC is June 5 and 6, 2020 in Calgary
- There are 18 spots available for members of the WSMB. Members of the PRE are in addition to the delegate spots. The deadline for delegate names to be provided to regional office is April 9th, 2020.
- There is a two day leadership training course before the PRC- there are two spaces for members to attend who must also be attending the PRC.
- PIPSC AGM is November 6 and 7, 2020 in Gatineau Quebec.
- WSMB has 5 delegate spots. Deadline for names of delegates to be provided is April 24th, 2020.
- Next PRE meeting is April 4th, 2020 in Calgary.
- The Prairie Northwest Territories Region will provide funding to hold PIPSC 100th Anniversary events based on $5/ member.
5. Treasurer’s Report – Deferred
6. New Business
- AGM planning
- Donna provided an update indicating event is fully planned.
- Members in attendance to be cross referenced with membership list.
- Event will have a combination bar. One complementary beverage after which a cash bar.
i. Chair will determine if member is eligible for election based on membership list
ii. Cory will send the membership list to Mo.
iii. Mo will create ballads and bring to the Branch AGM.
iv. Each candidate or nominator will be able to provide a three minute speech.
- There will be 100th Anniversary promotional items to give away. Cory to bring items to the event.
- Chris to bring tickets and container for door prize selection.
- Meeting starts 17:00
- Supper 18:30
- Event over by 21:00
- Special guest will be Nancy McCune
- Activities for 2020- Deferred.
7. Old Business:
- 100th Anniversary Events
- Mo reported a successful event in Brandon held in conjunction with Brandon Social Club
- Cory- event at Manitoba Conservation and Climate Change deferred due to member availability
- Event at PIPSC office was attended by 50-60 members
- Cory noted the elevators stop working at PIPSC office after 18:00 hrs and do not allow access to boardroom.
- Chris reported successful events were held at three CRA locations
- Terri reported a successful event was held at Employment and Social Development Canada.
- David reported approximately 30 members attended an event at 17th Wing CFB Winnipeg.
- Kevin reported a successful event was held at DFO in Winnipeg.
- Branch Executive to send Cory a list of events held for inclusion in the annual report to the PRC.
8. Round Table
- Retired Members Guild will provide funds to contribute to their members who attended the WSMB open house in December.
- Workspace and staffing issues at ESDC. People working in hallways, triple bunked in cubicles etc. Backlog of cases. There are also significant safety issues. Significant hiring taking place.
- SP subgroup at 501 University Crescent was approved.
- Pramesh indicated he is assisting members with grievances
- Cory indicated that they found out that MAGE being a group they can have meetings on a workday and are eligible for salary reimbursement from PIPSC. MAGE AGM April 8th, 2020.
9. Next meeting dates
- April 7, 2020.
10. Standing Motion to Pay $x for meal
11. Adjournment. Motion to adjourn.
Corry seconded by Terri
Meeting adjourned at 18:12