PIPSC WINNIPEG and SOUTHERN MANITOBA BRANCH EXECUTIVE
Meeting – September 5, 2019 at 5:00 pm
960-363 Broadway Ave., Winnipeg, MB
Present: Pramesh Selliah, Donna Johnston, Cory Graham, David Hakes, Linda Howes, Jason Caners, Terri Gobeil (on phone), Jay Krishnan, Chris Freeman, Kevin Jacobs, Mo Khakbazan (on phone)
- Call to Order
- Linda called the meeting to order at 17:06.
- Approval of Agenda
- Moved by Linda, seconded by Dave, motion carried with changes noted
- Minutes of last meetings, June 4, 2019
- Correction to spelling, and attendees on page 2. Moved by Cory, seconded by Chris. motion carried.
- President’s Report
- Resignation from the position due to personal reasons.
- In accordance with Bylaws VP becomes President, position held by Jay Krishnan.
- PRE meeting Edmonton Oct 3
- Pre meeting Winnipeg Dec 6/7. Jay to attend.
- Linda to ask if a PRE meeting prior to Steward Council in Edmonton.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Received reimbursement UHEW coupons from PIPSC
- Received $XXX from Better Together BBQ. Jay to confirm expenses and submit either BBQ or Norma L&L invoice (expenses for the $XXX received).
- Treasurer to revise the synapsis and recirculate
- Motion to accept financial report. Moved Jason, Seconded Cory. Carried.
- New Business
- Other Business:
- Round Table
- Winnipeg Open House – Donna, Terri, Pramesh - Dec 5 is not available. Dec 4 (Wednesday) is available. Will try to reserve. Retired members attend, and are asking if they can contribute, and promote the event. Agreed by those in attendance to include. Discussion regarding refreshments to provide. Decision – to include on the invite 2 beverages provided and appetizers. Beverage may either be a non-alcoholic or an alcoholic beverage.
- AGM planning – Donna – last year venue was not well received. Discussion on how to encourage attendance for No-Shows.
- Reduce RSVP number by 20% for venue when ordering food.
- Steward Council – most executive attending.
- Steward Appreciation Event – Dave – Oct 17, 2019 at TransCanada Brewing. Estimate 30-50 people. Need to send notice ASAP, and set up Event reservations. Better Together funding of $XXX has been approved.
- Bomber Game – Jason – poster should be coming out next week or so. Date September 27 vs Hamilton TiCats. All who attend will get Bomber string bag.
- Round Table
- MOTION - $XXX budget allotment for promotional give aways at the Game. Moved Jason, 2nd Donna – Carried.
- Possible extra ticket for draws if wear PIPSC gear.
- Chris – AFS has a signed contract as of Aug 23, 2019. CRA also got 4 days of Phoenix leave in leave bank. AFS subgroup handed out ice cream & a handout to members.
- Pramesh – attended Labour Day Parade
- Jason – CS group does not yet have a deal, executive please provide parking receipts for reimbursement.
- Jay – United Way invited out Branch to receive an appreciation award. Award to be provided to the PIPSC office to be displayed. SP subgroup signed as of this morning. MFL has safety training in Thompson which he is attending.
- Donna – retired members gild, GLEN SCHUR VP, JOHN WHITE, Sec-Treasurer. Donna on Committee for Steward of the Year Award – no nominations from NWT, MB or SK this year.
- David – CS group had no contact, as noted by Jason.
- Cory - MAGE has started drafting proposals for bargaining.
- Linda – AV group have ratified contact August 30. Some discussion regarding problems/staff accommodations of new building on Main Street. Impact ABW has on workplace and relationships.
- Terri – SH group signed Aug 30. MANY have incorrect pay rates from 2016. Union suggesting all file individual grievances. Phoenix leave been credited to leave bank.
- Question to the Executive, if wish to elect a new VP for the interim, until the next election (early 2020). Discusion/decision was Tabled for next meeting.
All Executive expressed overwhelming gratitude and thanks for all the work done by Linda in her role as Branch President, and wish her all the best on her future endeavors.
Standing motion to reimburse Cory for dinner cost - $XXX.
Cory to set doodle poll for Oct / Nov meetings (possibly joint after Steward Council), and December meeting.
Motion: Moved by Linda. Kevin, second.
Meeting adjourned at 19:10