75th Ontario Regional Council - Training and Education Committee Report
ONTARIO REGIONAL TRAINING CHAIR AND
TRAINING AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE REPORT
I’m happy to provide the ORC with my fourth report as Chair of the Ontario Region Training and Education Committee.
This report brings more good news and a follow up to the new training initiatives announced in our last report, and at the last Ontario Steward Council. I hope you enjoy your 2019 Ontario Regional Council and as always contact me personally email@example.com or use the TEC committee mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, suggestions etc.
- 2019 Ontario Steward Council (OSC)
- The 2019 Ontario Steward Council is taking place Sept 20-21st at the Hyatt Regency, downtown Toronto.
- The Theme of this year’s council is “Activism and Mobilization”, as most Groups will still likely be in bargaining not to mention the upcoming election whose results will have a direct impact on our members.
- Based on the feedback from the 2018 OSC in Nottawasaga, we are going to retain a Steward Mental Health option in our passport training sessions as well as an optional yoga session on the Saturday morning that will take place before council resumes for the day.
- More details on all of the above to come shortly.
- Lunch and Learns and Revamp of Process
- We continue to have an increase in lunch and learn requests and I’m more than happy to approve them as well as offer guidance and resources as appropriate.
- There has been a slight change in the process of requesting a lunch and learn. There is a new form to fill out to start the process. It is the first step in streamlining the entire process. The form is available on the PIPSC site under the education tab, or here:https://pipsc.ca/member-tools/education/lunch-and-learn-request
- As mentioned in my last report, we now have a small cadre of dedicated pensions and benefit lunch and learn presenters. Contact me if you are interested in hosting a lunch and learn on pensions and benefits and I will put you in touch with someone who can provide the training.
- Leadership Training
- The Budget has been accepted by the TEC, the hotel is booked and the meeting is ready to go.
- Our Region and the Atlantic Region will be the guinea pigs for the new training and it will no doubt be modified and upgraded based on the input of those participating.
- As it stands, I will be co-facilitating with the EROs so, for those of you that are attending – please go easy on me 😊
- I look forward to hearing your feedback for better or worse and also will continue to work on ensuring that this training becomes a yearly event in our region.
- Final Note:
- I want to take this spot to thank you all for your engagement and for those of you that have recruited new stewards and have been attending and encouraging others to attend our Ontario Steward Councils and Training events.
- Our training sessions have been full and our Steward Council attendance has been climbing yearly and is almost on par with the attendance of the NCR’s even though they have many times as many members as us. Keep up the good work!
Once again, I hope you get the most out of your 2019 Regional Council and feel free to approach me with any training ideas or questions you might have.
Pete Jozsa, Chair - Ontario Region Training Committee
Upcoming Ontario Region Events and Training Dates
- 2019 Ontario Regional Council
April 5 at 1:00pm – April 6 at 12:00 pm Westin Trillium Hotel, Collingwood
- 2019 Spring - TBA – Ontario Region Branch Executive Training
May 3 at 09:00 – May 4 at 5:00 pm The Grand Hotel, Toronto
- 2019 Ontario Region Labour School
May 22 at 01:00 – May 25 at 12:00 The Grand Hotel, Toronto
- 2019 Ontario Steward Council
Sep 20 at 01:00 – Sep 21 at 5:00 pm The Hyatt Regency, Toronto
- 2019 Fall Basic Steward Training
Oct 17 at 01:00 – Oct 19 at 5:00 pm The Grand Hotel, Toronto