Vancouver Branch Executive Meeting (No.40) Minutes

Wednesday April 12, 2017

Location: Whitespot Restaurant, 1616 West Georg/h3ia, Vancouver, B.C.


Karen Hall (fall 2018) President
Behzad Mehrabadi (fall 2017) Secretary
Terry Peters (fall 2018) Member-at-Large
Jean Laberge (fall 2017) Member-at-Large
Kathy Kerr (fall 2018) - Member-at-Large
Geoff Kendell (fall 2018) Member-at-Large
Tim Powers (fall 2018) – Treasurer
Sid Ansari (fall 2017)-Member-at-Large
Ted Molyneux (fall 2018) Member-at-Large


Daryl Wong (fall 2017) Member-at-Large
Daniel Thibault (fall 2017) Vice-President

1.0 Meeting called to order at 5:15 pm by K. Hall.

2.0 Approval of Agenda:

M/S T. Molyneux/T. Peters - carried.

3.0 Approval of Draft minutes

  • Approval of draft minutes No. 39, Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Executive meeting: M/S T. Powers/S. Ansari - carried.

4.0 Business arising from previous Executive meeting

  • Items are carried as per agenda.
  • The report from J. Laberge about labour movement in BC.

5.0 Treasurer's Report

  • T. Powers provided a report about the branch finances and its 2016 and 2017 budgets.
  • T. Power obtain the sample signatures from K. Hall and T. Peters in order to act as co-signers.
  • The storage for the branch equipment was discussed. Since the rent for the whole year is very expensive, T. Powers will look for a space for up to maximum $500 per year for six months during which he is not able to store the equipment at his place. He will report to next meeting.

6.0 Mobilization and Engagement Events

  • K. Hall provide a report about the February 13, Family Day event as well as the attendance of Branch at International Women Day dinner organized by Vancouver Labour council. It was agreed that more branch members should attend the dinner next year.
  • K. Hall provides a calendar of events to the meeting. The calendar of events will be available on Web page. some of the highlights are as follows:
    • On April 22nd, 10 am, at Queen Elizabeth Theater, located at 650 Hamilton street, the Science March will start. A poster was distributed by K. Hall via e-mail which Executive should distribute and encourage members to attend.
    • May Day rally will be organized by Vancouver Labour council on Monday May 1st and Vancouver Branch will attend. The link below shows the poster for this event:
    • For National Public week, K. Hall will discuss with PSAC to see if a common celebration event can be organized and will report to Executive by e-mail.
    • For family event in summer, all suggestions with estimated budget should be sent to K. Hall by not later than April 21st in order a decision be made.
    • J. Laberge will report to next meeting as how the branch will attend the Pride Parade. $200 budget will be allocated for this event.
    • S. Ansari will book the spot for Tsawwassen Sun Festival and $150 budget allocated for this event.
    • Vancouver Branch will attend the labor day event organized by Vancouver labor council.
    • S. Ansari will report to next meeting about the location and budget required for Vancouver Branch AGM which is scheduled for December 6th.
  • J. Laberge will do some research on history of labor movement in BC and report to Executive if there is anything can be done for our members to get more involve.
  • K. Hall discussed the proposal send by e-mail to help Baljit Sekhon with $200 on his initiative for floor hockey at lunch time on Fridays for some of the members. M/S T. Powers/K. Hall - carried.

7.0 By-laws

  • K. Kerr, T. Peters and D. Wong will be the By-Laws committees and will report to next meeting about their draft proposal. Discussion postponed to next meeting.


  • Wednesday May 15, 2017, from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
    • Location will be determined and Executive will be informed.

9.0 Adjournment @ 8:30 pm.

M/S J. Laberge/T. Powers