Minutes of the Vancouver SP Sub Group Executive Meeting

Date: March 7th, 2019

Time: 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm

Location: Joeys Burnaby

Exec Members (term)

Tanya Evans (to Jan 2020)

Denis Semail (to Jan 2021) - regrets

Tim Powers (to Jan 2020)

Kathy Kerr (to Jan 2021) - regrets

Sammy Li (to Jan 2021)

Eric Crawford (to Jan 2020)

Jaqueline Oddi (to Jan 2020) - regrets

Judy Hartman (to Jan 2021)

  1. Call to Order 5:30 pm
  2. Approval of Agenda – m/s carried
  3. Approval of draft minutes of October 11, 2018 – m/s carried

Action: Tanya to arrange for draft minutes to be translated and posted on the PIPSC website

  1. Business arising from the minutes: none
  2. Treasurer’s report – provided by Tim Powers – m/s carried
  • Discussed the need to have additional members with signing authority, Tim to follow up with Judy and Denis
  1. Election of Executive Positions
  • Thanked everyone for participating on the executive, both returning and new members
  • Received interest from Kathy to continue as Secretary – m/s carried
  • Tim nominated to continue as Treasurer – m/s carried
  • Tanya nominated to continue as President – m/s carried
  • Denis nominated in absence to continue as Vice President – m/s carried
  1. National and Regional Updates
  • Discussed SP National AGM to be held April 6th, encouraged executive to apply to attend
  • Advised BC/Yukon Advanced Training School is happening April 10 – 13
  • Discussed BC/Yukon Regional Council  May 31 – June 1, encouraged executive to apply to attend
  • Discussed benefits of becoming a steward, encouraged attendees to consider for the future.
  • Advised everyone to watch for and read the SP bargaining updates
  1. Vancouver SP Sub Group Activities for 2019
  • Discussed workplace engagement, everyone encouraged to host a coffee truck or lunch and learn in their respective workplace. 
  • Discussed participation in upcoming events for the summer: Labour Day and Pride Parade, will be further discussed at the next meeting in June
  • Created a standing approval for hosting events in the workplace of up to $500/event. Motioned by Sammy, Seconded by Judy – carried.
  1. Other Business
  • Discussion about engaging speakers for the next AGM to generate interest and improve attendance, considering a presentation about earthquake preparedness.
  1. Location and preferred dates of next meetings
  • Suggested June in the Burnaby area, date and time to be confirmed
  • Request received for future meetings to be held near a skytrain station
  • Suggestions of restaurant locations welcomed, possibly Italian Cultural Centre or Firefighters club
  1. Adjournment at 7:30 pm