50 Victoria Street SP sub-group

Minutes for executive meeting #6

October 10th, 2019 – 12:00 to 1:00 pm


Present: Marcel Beaudoin, Jay Fothergill, Mary Murphy, Céline Fletcher, Mazen Hijazi, Akid Azfar, Reginald Linco,

Absent: Hassan Bayaa, Maria Salazar, Adel El Hamad


Opening of meeting

Minutes of the previous meeting approved.

No changes to the agenda submitted, more items put towards round table discussion

Discussion of drop-in sessions

The session on the 19th of September aimed at the new patent examiners, with an opportunity to meet the subgroup executive went well. Most new examiners were present as well as some seasoned patent examiners.


The session on the 23rd of October will be for all, with topics as the new Collective Agreement and the need for more stewards.

Drop in session October 23rd

Location - C119B

Posters - Akid

Email - Marcel to draft and translate.

Food - Mazen and Adel. Will coordinate with Jay to confirm amount of food (coffee and Timbits) purchased for previous drop-in sessions

Focus - Collective Agreement, steward recruitment


Preparation for the upcoming 2019 AGM on 18th November was discussed and duties assigned to executive members.

50 Victoria Street subgroup AGM

Date - 18th of November

Location - 24-D (Use of 24-D has been approved by ISEDC LR)

Posters - Akid

Email - Marcel. Will send to PIPSC for distribution

Save the date email - Marcel to send to PIPSC for distribution

Food - Mazen and Adel to order from Les Flavoureux

Wiki/signup sheet - Reg

Topics - Election, budget, Collective Agreement (brief), Need for new stewards. Jay will look on the PIPSC website for information for new stewards and what and how many positions are up for re-election.

For all - Everyone to think of questions and information they think people will need to know before volunteering as a steward.

Election - Jay to act as elections committee. Jay will figure out by looking at previous minutes who is up for election.

Room setup - Marcel. Ensure request for microphone setup is done as well.

Conference Call information - Marcel to get information from Diane

Round Table

  • Update on the SP SG Presidents’ meeting that occurred on Sat Oct 5 Niagara Falls. Marcel to send executive members the PowerPoint slides on the collective agreement that were presented at the meeting;
  • Discussion on upcoming PIPSC general AGM. Marcel to send link on proposed resolutions. Any comments/concerns, forward to Marcel.
  • Discussion around leave in the new collective agreement re: who is considered a family member, time allowed and timeline of when new collective agreement (vs old collective agreement) takes into effect? Marcel to send leave information to all union members.
  • Discussion regarding Food Allergy disclaimer statement for upcoming AGM. Reg to provide options to executive members.
  • Executive members to provide any questions about becoming a steward to Marcel/Jay prior to the Oct. 23rd drop-in session
  • Reg to resend email to Marcel regarding Equipment request for Nov. 18th AGM.


Next Meeting

November 13th