Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (COSH) Nomination Form
Regular PIPSC Members can nominate themselves as employee representative or employee co-chair of the PIPSC Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (COSH). Complete the form below to submit your nomination.
Safety and health committees
Workplace safety and health committees are required for each workplace with 20 or more employees.
A Safety and Health Committee is composed of at least two members, one from each side: employee and employer. Employee members are selected by the union, and represent all employees, not only those belonging to the union which has selected them. They must not exercise managerial functions. Management appoints its own representatives.
Duties of a Safety and Health Committee:
- consider and expeditiously dispose of safety and health complaints;
- participate in the implementation and monitoring of programs for the prevention of workplace hazards;
- participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of programs to prevent workplace hazards;
- participate in all of the inquiries, investigations, studies, and inspections pertaining to employee safety and health;
- participate in the implementation and monitoring of a program for the provision of personal protective equipment, clothing, devices, or materials;
- ensure that adequate records are kept on work accidents, injuries and health hazards;
- co-operate with safety and health officers;
- participate in the implementation of changes that may affect occupational safety and health, including work processes and procedures, and, if there is no policy committee, participate in the planning of the implementation of those changes;
- assist the employer in investigating and assessing the exposure of employees to hazardous substances;
- inspect each month all or part of the workplace, so that every part of the work place is inspected at least once a year;
- participate in the development of safety and health policies and programs, if there is no policy committee.
Workplace safety and health committees will meet during regular working hours at least once a month. Members will be remunerated at their regular rate of pay for time spent attending meetings as well as preparation time, performing duties and travelling time.
The committee must keep accurate records of all matters that come before it, as well as minutes of all meetings. They are to be made available to a Safety and Health Officer if they are requested.
Remember that no committee member is personally liable for anything done, or not done, in good faith under the authority of the committee.
COSH Nomination Form
Please disconnect from the government's VPN and use a personal device in order to ensure the form loads below.
Candidates must be PIPSC members. All nominations will be approved by the NRC-RO/RCO, IS or LS group executive, depending on the classification of the candidate.