October 23, 2023

PIPSC Salon C/D or via Zoom

9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.




Present: Christine Freeman, Mandy Chan, Michael P. Kenny, Mike Chow, Scott McConaghy, Stéphanie Fréchette, Luc Denis

Staff: Tony Goddard


  1. Approval of the Agenda 

Moved: Christine Freeman Seconded: Michael Kenny



  1. Approval of Minutes of the September 18, 2023 BLPC meeting  

Deferred to the next BLPC Meeting.


  1. Board of Directors Update


  1. Standing & Priority Items
    1. Policy on Constituent Body Allocations (Michael K.)

The Board comments were reviewed and the policy was reworked to fit the recommendations provided. A revised policy has been prepared for recommendation to the Board at their November meeting.

  1. Policy on Balancing Union Activity and Family Life (Scott)

With the input provided to Scott by Atlantic Director E. Costain, the policy has been revised and will be forwarded to the next Board meeting for Board approval.

  1. Policy on Member Fees (New) 

This policy update was passed at the PIPSC 2017 AGM but never incorporated into a policy. The wording presented is acceptable to the BLPC and this policy can be forwarded to the next Board meeting for approval.

  1. Model By-Laws (Michael K.) 

It was decided to table these changes until the committee can review all model constitutions for recommendation to the Board. This way, the Board can approve and post all changes to the model at the same time.


  1. Results/Approvals from previous Board meeting

Tony will work on getting all the Bylaws that are pending approval translated and added to the November Board agenda.

  1. JCC Group By-Laws - APPROVED by BoD Sept 2023
  2. BC/Yukon Bylaw Changes - pending translation and Board approval
  3. Lethbridge Branch Constitution and Bylaws – pending translation and Board approval
  4. CP Group Bylaws – pending Board approval (French is the source language) 
  5. Ontario Region Constitution and Bylaws – pending translation and Board approval
  6. Toronto North CRA Branch* (2016 revision to send BoD) – approved by the Board Sept 2023
  7. IT Group By-Laws – pending Board approval
  8. IT Montérégie SG By-Laws – pending translation and Board approval
  9. Simcoe Grey Branch (Mandy to update) – pending translation and Board approval
  10. SP Midland-Queen (Scarborough) Sub-Group - EC Resolution (Posted)


  1. Matters Arising from the July 14, 2023 Meeting     
    1. NR St-Hubert - Montérégie (PDF doc) (Luc)

This was approved by the EC April 5, 2023. Tony will check for translation and posting to the webpage.

  1. IT Ottawa Metro Sub-Group Bylaw Modification (Michael K.)

Michael K. has received no response from the executive of this subgroup - item shall be moved to Parked Items.

  1. NEB Group Bylaws* (Scott M. ,waiting for Group Rat.)

No feedback at this time.

  1. House of Commons Group Bylaws Amended (Michael K, waiting for Group Ratification)

Waiting for the Group to hold an AGM.

  1. CRPEG Group* (Michael K, pending group ratification)

Waiting for feedback from the Group.

  1. Policy on Accessing PIPSC General Funds (VP Fréchette)

This policy change was to update the COO title to ES. Ann to confirm whether the Board has approved this change with the rest.

  1. Policy on Conduct (VP Fréchette)

This policy was referred by the Board to General Counsel to determine if the policy conforms to our EDI requirements.

  1. SH Group – Amendment (Scott)

The changes proposed are acceptable and there is enough time for the SH Group to make modifications, if needed, before the election process is started. Stéphanie will communicate to the Board the issue around Indigenous Services (where there are 2 classifications but only one has been addressed in the bylaws) and ask the Board to approve the presented bylaws with a condition that the next SH Group AGM passes revised wording to correct the issue.


  1. Business arising from September 18, 2023 meeting
  1. Geographical Area (Michael K.) – refer to NCR Regional Executive

Michael K reviewed this issue with the NCR Executive and with PIPSC Membership and determined that the current geographical boundaries are being enforced by Membership Services. There is no need at this time to include geographical descriptions in each separate set of Branch or Subgroup bylaws. Item Resolved.

  1. HOC By-Laws for proxy (Michael K.)

This is a duplicate of item 6.d and can be removed.

  1. Toronto East AFS SG (Mandy)

Can be sent to translation and for approval at the next Board meeting.

  1. Toronto East Branch (Mandy)

Can be sent to translation and for approval at the next Board meeting.

  1. RMG Proposed By-Laws (Scott)

The RMG had their AGM last week. The executive reviewed their bylaws but found no need to revise them at this time.

  1. WGC Attendance Briefing Note

This was reviewed and resolved at the September BLPC meeting. Refer to the September 18, 2023 minutes for the wording changes.

  1. BL 17.4 - Elections Appeals Committee

The discussion on BL 17.4 was inconclusive. The most popular solution to the tight timelines and lack of a full committee to hear an appeal in a timely manner revolved around creating an Appeals Committee similar in function to the Panel of Peers. A “pool” of  committee member resources, perhaps up to 10 members, could be established where, when necessary, any 5 could be called upon to render a decision on an election appeal. If bound by the limit of 5-7 members, perhaps reduce the number required to render the decision to 3. It was generally agreed that the timelines need to remain very tight. More discussion and input from the Board and the Elections Appeals Committee members should be sought.

  1. Procurement Policy update email

It was discovered that there is, in fact, no policy on procurement; it was rolled into the Policy on Constituent Body Allocations. The policy was reviewed and wording has been added for the Board to approve the incorporation of the requirements requested by the HRDC. To be sent to the Board for approval at the November meeting.


  1. New Business
  1. Edmonton By-Law Amendments (Chris)

Christine will review the proposed changes and compare with the model bylaws. She will work with the constituent body to clean up the proposed bylaw changes so they can move forward.

  1. Retired Members – Request for clarification from BoD

The issue identified is that PIPSC does not validate with “retired” members to make sure they have superannuated, as required in the bylaws. The discussion revolved around who is responsible for the validation and the most apparent would be Membership Services. Next it was asked how they could validate. Many suggestions were made but none were known to be possible at this time. We suggested that we should, at a minimum, ask the retired member if they have superannuated. Scott has agreed to do more research.

  1. BC-Yukon Region Regional Committees (Mike C)

BC-Y region is looking for a method to compel their standing committees to make regularly submitted reports. It was suggested that the easiest method, without having to go to the Regional Council to make changes each time, would be to create a ToR for each committee and include the requirement in the ToR. Mike C will report back to the Region.

  1. BCFNHA Bylaw Amendments (Mike C)

The full set of proposed amendments needs a thorough review. It was noted that the options proposed when a position becomes vacant do not include the possibility of leaving the position unfilled until the next election. Several comments were made to point out that discipline measures must not be included in the bylaws since that process is handled by separate policies of the Board.

  1. Model Bylaw No. 9 (Michael K)

To be included with item 4.d 

  1. Ottawa Centreville Branch Bylaw Amendment (Michael K)

The proposed changes are in line with the model bylaws. These bylaws can be sent to the Board for approval after translation.


  1. Parked Items




  1. OSFI Group (Amended) (pending input from Group) remove
  2. Senate Clerks Group (Amended)




  1. NR DND Louis St-Laurent Sub-Group (Amended) remove
  2. NR DND NCR Sub-Group (Proposed) remove
  3. RE Library & Archives Sub-Group (Amended) (A. Goddard) remove
  4. AFS Saguenay Sub-Group (S. Fréchette) completed - remove
  5. AFS IOTSO Sub-Group (Proposed Amendments) (AGM in 2020) 


  1. AFS Southern Alberta, Calgary & Red Deer Sub-Group (Amended)


  1. SP Vancouver Sub-Group (Amended) (AGM in 2020) remove
  2. CP South Vancouver Island Sub-Group (Proposed) (M. Chow) remove
  3. IT CS Vancouver SG (Amended)


Branches / Chapters


  1. Vancouver Branch (Amended) (Ratified?) (D. Jones) remove
  2. Haut Richelieu Branch (S. Fréchette) remove
  3. CSC Montréal and Rive-Nord Branch (S. Fréchette) remove


10) Next meeting: Saturday, December 16, 2023