Institute Service Award - Guidelines and Nomination Form
The Institute Service Award recognizes outstanding service by Regular and Retired members and employees of the Institute over a long period of time or of a shorter duration when the outstanding service is of such a high order that it results in a contribution of enduring value to the Institute.
The Nominators should consider what the Nominee has accomplished to be set apart from others and which service or contribution is considered to be above and beyond that which might be expected of any devoted member. The fact that the Nominee has held many or all of the normal offices and has fulfilled these offices well and faithfully, is not in itself sufficient to warrant a recommendation for the Institute Service Award. It is expected that those who accept PIPSC offices will put as much of themselves and their time into the job as their day-to-day activities will allow.
The membership strength of the Group, Sub-Group, Branch, and Region may be indicated, as service in a small or large community may have some bearing in the evaluation by the Panel of Judges.
It is expected that a person would normally have received a Citation Certificate before an Institute Service Award, although this not a strict requirement.
The Nominators should assume that the Panel of Judges has only the completed Nomination Form on which to base its decision to approve or not. Therefore, specific references, details and dates concerning the outstanding service must be provided.
This Nomination Form should be read and used in conjunction with PIPSC By-Law 26.3, Regulation 26.3 and the following requirements and criteria.
1. The Nominee must be a Regular or Retired member or an employee of the Institute.
2. The Nominee must have provided an outstanding service to the Institute.
3. A minimum of five (5) Nominators are required and they must be Regular or Retired members of the Institute in good standing.
4. The Nomination Form must be completed as thoroughly as possible and should not exceed 1200 words (incomplete nominations will be returned to the Nominators for completion or will not be considered).
5. Supplemental information in support of the nomination may be attached to the completed Nomination Form.
6. The completed and signed Nomination Form must be received by the Institute no later than August 24, 2018 at 5 p.m. (Ottawa Time).
Nominee for PIPSC Institute Service Award
Title (if staff):
A. List of PIPSC positions held and/or membership in PIPSC committees (provide dates).
B. Description of Outstanding Service or Contribution of Enduring Value to the Institute
- A summary of the distinguished nature of the Nominee's outstanding service to PIPSC;
- A clear indication of the time (including dates) and quality of service given by the Nominee;
- An explanation of why this is considered an outstanding service or contribution of enduring value, and a description of how the Nominee's contributions benefited the Institute ;
- If applicable, clear and concise examples of deeds and practices that demonstrate the Nominee's ability to motivate and activate others.
- If applicable, reference to attributes such as values and ethics, initiative, accountability and teamwork;
- If desired, short ‘witness’ descriptions of impact.
C. List of PIPSC Awards previously received (provide dates).
D. Preparation of a Citation (optional and not included in the word count)
The Nominators may prepare a brief citation that will be used if and when the Institute Service Award is presented to the Nominee.
E. Nominators (a minimum of five (5) members in good standing is required)
Name / Phone Number / Email Address / Signature / Date
1 - Lead Nominator:
Thank you for submitting this nomination. The Lead Nominator will be contacted if further information is required by the Awards Panel.
The completed and signed Nomination Form must be received by the PIPSC Executive Secretary no later than August 24, 2018 at 5 p.m. (Ottawa Time).
The mailing address is:
The Executive Secretary
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada
250 Tremblay Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 3J8
Nominations may also be sent by email to Institute_Awards@pipsc.ca or by fax at the following number: 1-800-465-7477.