Pocket Guide for Elected Officials

Quick Answers to Common Questions

Table of Contents


When it undertook to revise the Manual for Elected Officials, the Member Services Committee spoke to newly elected officials to see what they really expected from this manual. One of the main comments was that although a manual is greatly needed to provide all the information required for them to perform their duties, it is not always practical or easy to carry with them.

This Pocket Guide is the result of these discussions. Although much smaller than the Manual for Elected Officials, it contains basic information which we hope can help answer some of the questions that may arise during the course of your duties.

Note that each section of this Guide makes reference to the appropriate section in the Manual, where more detailed information is available.

If you have any comments or suggestions to make about this Guide or the Manual, contact the Steward Coordinator at the PIPSC National Office.

The Member Services Committee

Definition of various constituent bodies

(More information in Manual for Elected Officials, section on Institute Organization)

What is a Group? 

A group is composed of Regular members within a bargaining unit (see pages - for a list of Groups) as determined by the Public Service Labour Relations Board (PSLRB) (or other labour boards).Depending on the Group’s By-Laws, retired members may also be entitled to take part in Group affairs. One of the main duties of the Group is to deal with collective bargaining issues such as bargaining and monitor the implementation of collective agreements.

What is a Sub-Group?

A Sub-Group is composed of five (5) or more members of an occupational group in a geographic area or government department and/or location (e.g. CS Sub-Group in Winnipeg). Functions may include submitting proposals and recommendations to the Group Executive, representing members in local consultations with the employer and monitoring the implementation of collective agreements.

What is a Region?

A region is composed of all the members in a geographically defined area. There are currently six regions: Atlantic, Québec, National Capital Region, Ontario, Prairie/Northwest Territories and British-Columbia/Yukon. There are three levels of organization in each region: the Regional Council, the Regional Executive and the Branches.

What is a Branch?

A Branch is composed of ten (10) or more Regular and Retired members from two (2) or more groups in a geographic area (e.g. ABC Branch could be composed of 5 CS + 3 RE + 2 SH + 6 SP members). Main duties include submitting proposals and recommendations to the Regional Council, representing members in local consultations with the employer and monitoring the implementation of collective agreements.

What is a Regional Council?

A Regional Council is comprised of a minimum of one (1) delegate for each one hundred (100) members and a maximum of one (1) delegate for each fifty (50) members resident in the Region as of the previous May 31, rounded to the nearest one hundred (100), plus two (2) additional delegates. Delegates represent the various Branches and Groups in the region.

The Regional Council meets once per year. Although   the Regional Office usually organizes this meeting, the agenda and content of the meeting are prepared by the Regional Executive in collaboration with the staff. At the Regional Council, delegates discuss concerns and issues relevant to the region and prepare resolutions for the Annual General Meeting. This may also be an opportunity to conduct training on specific topics.

What is a Steward Council?

A Steward Council is comprised of all the stewards in a geographical area. It provides an opportunity for stewards to discuss issues of concern and to obtain training tailored to their needs. It meets once per year.

Although the Regional Office usually organizes this meeting (an invitation is sent to all stewards in the region), the agenda is prepared jointly by staff and elected officials (e.g. Regional Executive, Regional Training Committee, etc.).

What is the Advisory Council?

The Advisory Council consists of all Group Chairs (or designates) and Treasury Board Departmental Consultation Team Chairs. It is charged with dealing with matters referred to it by the Board, the Executive Committee, Group Executives and Consultation Teams. It serves as a forum for the exchange of ideas and information on topics such as collective bargaining issues, professional concerns and national consultation.


What is the Annual General Meeting (AGM)?

The Annual General Meeting is the supreme governing body of the Institute. It is the voice of the general membership in matters affecting all members. Topics for discussion include resolutions submitted by constituent bodies, general policy and financial issues. It is held every year, usually in early November.

Who can attend the AGM?

While any member may attend the Annual General Meeting, only delegates may participate in the voting process. According to Institute By-Laws, voting delegates are chosen on the following basis:

  • Board of Directors: Every member of the Board shall be a delegate to an Annual or Special General Meeting.
  • Groups: Each Group shall be entitled to delegate per of the Group's members with a minimum of one delegate; Groups shall allocate delegates on the basis of the Regional distribution of its membership.
  • Regions: Each Region shall be entitled to delegate for each or its members, residing in the Region.

Who selects the Board of Directors?
Who sits on the Board of Directors?

Members elect the members of the Board, which is composed of a President, two full-time and two part-time Vice-Presidents, one Director from each of the Atlantic, Québec, Ontario, Prairie-NWT and BC-Yukon regions and four Directors from the National Capital Region. One Director is also elected by the Advisory Council.

What is the role of the Board of Directors (BOD)?

The Board administers the affairs of the Institute between Annual General Meetings.

What is the Executive Committee?

The Executive Committee is composed of the President and the four Vice-Presidents. It decides on questions concerning the management of the Institute that require attention between meetings of the Board of Directors.

What is the Management Committee?

The Management Committee is comprised of the President and senior staff and it manages the day-to-day operations of the Institute in accordance with the policies determined by the AGM and interpreted by the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee. It also ensures that expenditures comply with the budget.

What is the role of the BOD Committees?

The various Committees are tasked to study issues or to provide advice and information on specific issues. They formulate recommendations to the Board.

What is the mandate of the By-Laws and Policies Committee?

It is responsible for providing advice on the interpretation of the Institute By-Laws and Regulations, scrutinize proposed amendments to By-Laws, as well as draft new policies. It also reviews the By-Laws of all constituent bodies.

What is the mandate of the Elections Committee?

It is responsible for the conduct of Institute elections for Officers and Directors according to the By-Laws and Regulations.

What is the mandate of the Executive Compensation Committee (ECC)?

It reviews and makes recommendations with respect to all matters of compensation and terms and conditions of employment for the President, the Vice-Presidents and excluded employees.

What is the mandate of the Finance Committee?

It is responsible for preparing and presenting budgets, reviewing income, expenditures and accounts, and supervising and making recommendations concerning the audit, control and investment of Institute funds.

What is the mandate of the Human Rights in the Workplace Committee?

It advises and makes recommendations on how to address concerns or issues identified in the Workplace which contravene human rights.

What is the mandate of the Member Services Committee?

It is responsible for advising and making recommendations on any issue relating to the provision of services to individual members, and for providing advice on activities such as the training program and the recruitment and training of stewards.

Membership Questions

(See Manual for Elected Officials, section on Membership)

What is a RAND Member?

Employees belonging to a bargaining unit who have not applied for membership in the Institute are RAND members. As a general guideline, if members at your work site are not currently receiving mail from the Institute, they are probably RAND members. You can also identify these members from membership lists.

What can I do for RAND members?

Supply them with a Membership Application form and encourage them to sign it and return it to the Institute as soon as possible.

Where can I get a Membership Application form?

You can obtain a Membership Application form on the Institute’s Web site by clicking on Update my Membership Info or on the Stewards Page. You can also contact any Institute office.

What is the PIPSC Web site address?


What are the union dues?

The PIPSC union dues are set by the Annual General Meeting. As of January 1, 2008 the dues are $55.56 per month for Regular members and $53.28 per year for retired members. There are other amounts for Associate and Affiliate members as well as for members on leave without pay.

Regular members on leave without pay have no fees owing for the balance of the calendar year in which they commence their leave or for the period of leave in the year in which they return to work. Members on extended leave without pay or more than one year may choose to retain their membership during their leave by paying the LWOP dues at the rate of 4% of the regular dues until they return to work. If they chose not to do so, their membership will be cancelled and they must reapply upon their return to work.

Membership Lists

(See Manual for Elected Officials, section on Membership)

Who can request a Membership List?

An Executive member of a constituent body or the chair of a consultation team can request a list of the members for the constituent body on a need to know basis.

How do I request a membership list?

A written request (e-mail is acceptable) must be sent to the Section Head of the Membership Section at the National Office. The request must include your name and title as well as the reason why you want the list.

What do I you do if there are inaccuracies on the list?

Advise the Membership Section at the National Office as soon as possible.

By-Laws of Constituent Bodies

(See Manual for Elected Officials, section on By-Laws)

What By-Laws are available?

You can obtain the Institute’s By-Laws on the Institute Web site under Who We Are - Governance of the Institute or by contacting any Institute office. Each constituent body should have its own set of By-Laws. If no By-Laws exist for your constituent body, a generic By-Law is available.

Where can I get a copy of the By-Laws for my constituent body?

In some cases, By-Laws are contained on the Web site under your Constituent Body’s Web page or contact the PIPSC Help Desk.

How do I get approval of the By-Laws of my constituent body?

All By-Laws must be reviewed by the PIPSC By-Laws and Policies Committee and then receive approval from the PIPSC Board of Directors. Draft of By-Laws should be sent to the PIPSC staff resource to the By-Laws and Policies Committee.

Following Board approval, By-Laws should receive approval from the constituent body. This is usually done at the Annual General Meeting of the constituent body.

Can changes be made to existing By-Laws of constituent bodies?

Changes can be made to any by-laws. This requires approval of the changes by the constituent body (usually done at the annual general meeting), followed by review by the By-Laws and Policies Committee and approval by the PIPSC Board of Directors.


(See Manual for Elected Officials, section on Money Talks)

How can I get funding for my constituent body?

Fill out the Request for Annual Funds form (available on the Institute Web site under Member Services - Forms) and send it to the Finance Section, accompanied by the financial statement and AGM minutes of your constituent body.

How much money is available (annual allowance)?

The annual allowance is determined by the AGM and therefore is subject to annual change. This information is provided to the Chair and Treasurer of the constituent bodies each year. 

Note that the amount of the allowances based on number or regular and Rand members as of December 31st of the previous year.

Also note that the Institute has placed a cap on annual allowances. No constituent body may hold more than twice the amount of the annual allowance.

How do I open a bank account for my constituent body?

As of April 2, 2007, all funds must be kept in a BMO financial institution and the bank account must be in the name of PIPSC+ the constituent body’s name (e.g. PIPSC - Computer Systems Group, or PIPSC - Moncton Branch).

Simply advise the Institute of the names of your signing officers and send in a photocopy of two pieces of ID (driver’s licence, credit card, SIN card, and passport- no Health cards) for each of them (front and back). These documents will be sent to BMO and PIPSC will open an account for you.

All accounts will be accessible on line via BMO’s bilingual Web site which will be provided to you by the PIPSC Finance Section.

The Institute will deposit the annual allowance into each account on March 1st of each year, provided the constituent body has sent their AGM minutes, treasurer’s report and election report to the Office of the Executive Secretary at PISPC.

Constituent bodies will be issued a supply of cheques a bank card (for deposits only) and instructions for on-line access to the bank account.

Withdrawals can only be done by cheque and all cheques require two signatures (usually any two of the Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary or Treasurer). Finally, ensure that the Institute is notified of the names of all signing officers.

What type of leave do I take to attend to Institute business?

Most PIPSC collective agreements contain an article on leave for union related business.

You can take any type of leave: annual, compensatory or leave without pay. Employees on compressed work schedules who attend a PIPSC function on their day off work are not considered on leave.

How do I get reimbursed?

Simply fill out a Compensatory Salary Claim form (available on the Web site under Services - Publications/Forms), attach a copy of your time sheet or approved leave form, and return it to the National Office, c/o Finance Section. You can also fill out the form and send it electronically. If you do so, copies of your time sheet or approved leave forms must be kept in a secure place for at least two (2) years

How much time off am I entitled to take for union business?

Employers are generally flexible for time off for union business. However, most leave is granted on the basis of operational requirements and requests could be denied. Always ensure that you receive Institute approval prior to taking time off for union business.


(See Manual for Elected Officials, Section on Meetings of Constituent Bodies)

When and where do I send a Notice of Meeting for translation, printing and mailing?

  • For Group or Sub-Group meetings - send to the administrative assistant (AA) of the negotiator for your group (i.e. CS Sub-Group in Calgary would be sent to the administrative assistant of the negotiator for the CS Group). Although most negotiators are located in the National Office, some groups may be handled through a negotiator in the region. In such cases, the documents should be sent to the Office Administrator of that office.
  • For Branch or Regional meetings - send to the Office Administrator (OA) of your Regional Office who will forward it to the National Office.

Please allow working days for translation and - working days for printing and mailing.

Do I need minutes?

Minutes of all meetings are required. Ensure that all motions are recorded in the minutes. All minutes should be sent to the National Office for posting to the Web site via your group Administrative Assistant or through your regional office.

Minutes of the AGM of your constituent body are also required to obtain your annual allowance.

Who prepares the minutes?

The Secretary (Secretary Treasurer) - of the constituent body normally prepares the minutes of a meeting.

Where do I send the minutes?

  • Minutes of Group meetings should be sent to the group negotiator.
  • Minutes of Sub-Group meetings should be sent to the Group Executive and the group negotiator.
  • Minutes of regional executive meetings should be sent to the Regional Office and the National Office (Help Desk)
  • Minutes of Branch meetings should be sent to the Regional Executive, the Regional Office and the National Office (Help Desk).


(See Manual for Elected Officials, section on Elections of Executive Members)

When should we hold elections?

Elections for members of the Executive are defined in the by-laws of the constituent body (generally held every two years). However, they are usually staggered over a two-year period (half are elected each year) to ensure continuity on the Executive. Term of office for these positions is generally years.

What type of election can we hold?

Depending on your By-Laws, you may hold elections during the course of a meeting (usually an AGM) or by postal ballot.

How do I hold a postal ballot?

A call for nomination seeking candidates and biographical statements should be prepared and sent to all members. To do this, follow the same procedure as translating and mailing of a newsletter.

After the close of nominations, prepare another newsletter with a ballot (if elections are required).

Please note that that biographical statements must   submitted electronically as they must be reproduced exactly as submitted (no corrections). Again, follow the same process as for newsletters.

Ensure the deadlines specified in the by-laws of your constituent body are respected.

How do I hold an election during a meeting?

A call for nomination should ideally have been sent with the notice of meeting. This allows members time to think about whether or not they wish to run for election. Ensure that the election is included as an item on the agenda for the meeting.

During the meeting, when it is time for this agenda item, we suggest that a scrutineer be elected to conduct the election. A list of potential candidates can be read and time should be allocated for candidates to make a brief speech, especially if elections are required.

If an election is required, the scrutineer distributes ballots, tallies the votes and announces the results of the election.

Where do I send the results of elections?

Results of all elections should be sent to the Membership Section at the National Office, to update the database. Results of elections at the Group and Sub-Group levels should be sent to the PIPSC negotiator. Results of elections at the Region and Branch levels should be sent to the National Office as well as the Regional Office.

When does the PIPSC election take place?

The PIPSC elections are generally held in December. Candidates campaign during the AGM and are usually allowed some time during this meeting to make speeches to the delegates. Ballots are mailed to all members after the AGM.

Who is up for election?

Some elections are held every year. Regional Directors are elected for a two-year period, with half the positions being up for election each year.

The President and Vice-Presidents are elected for three year periods and elections are staggered over a three-year period.


(See Manual for Elected Officials, section on Rules of Procedure)

What is a motion?

A motion is a self-contained proposal drafted in such a way as to clearly state what action is to be taken and worded so that a decision can be made at the meeting. A motion must be moved and seconded.

Who can make a motion?

Any delegate to a meeting may present a motion.

When should a motion be made?

Any action that deals with finances requires a motion. Make a motion when there is a decision of significant importance or impact on the organization.

How do you make a motion?

A member obtains the right to speak from the Chair and confines remarks to the item being discussed. The item of business is introduced by making a motion "I move..."

Do you need a seconder?

Every motion needs to be seconded before it can be discussed.

Does a motion need to be recorded in the minutes?

Every motion must be recorded in the minutes of the meeting. Ensure that the name of the proposer and seconder are included, as well as the full text of the motion and the results of the vote (carried or defeated).

How do I amend a motion?

An amendment to a motion occurs after a motion has been moved and seconded but before it has been voted on. Amendments may change or modify a motion, but do not change the intent of the motion. They add, subtract or substitute words from the original motion.

If an amendment is offered to a motion and the proposer of the motion likes the amendment, the proposer may say, “If there are no further objections, I will accept the amendment”. If no one objects, the amendment does not have to be voted on as it automatically becomes a part of the original motion.

How do I withdraw a motion?

The proposer may withdraw a motion before the Chair states the motion to the membership. A withdrawn motion is not recorded in the minutes.

How do I call for the vote?

When a member feels that discussion on a motion has been exhausted, he can ask the chair to call for the vote.

How do you table a motion?

Sometimes it is necessary to lay aside business so that it may be renewed at a later time. This is called tabling a motion. A tabled motion can be reactivated by a motion to reactivate the debate.

Can a motion be reconsidered once it has been voted on?

Sometimes the membership wants to reconsider a motion once the motion has been voted on and carried. This can be done but it usually requires a vote from / of the delegates.


Can I have one?

All constituent bodies are entitled to have their own newsletter.

Who writes it?

Generally, the Executive will delegate the writing of a newsletter to one or more members of the Executive. In many cases, this person will work in conjunction with staff.

How long can it be?

All newsletters (except those from Group Executives) should be a maximum of 8 pages printed back to back (4 sheets) on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. There is no restriction on length of Group newsletters.

How does it get translated and mailed?

  • Group and Sub-Group newsletters should be sent to the Group Negotiator.
  • Region and Branch newsletters should be sent to the Regional Office who will forward them to the National Office.

The National Office staff will ensure that the document   is translated and mailed to the appropriate members.

Translation is required when there are members of both official languages in the constituent body.

How long does it take to get a newsletter mailed out?

Once received in the National Office, please allow working days for translation and - days for printing and mailing.

How are newsletters sent out?

Members have the opportunity of choosing to receive newsletters electronically or by mail. This can be done when filling out the Application for Membership form or by contacting the PIPSC Membership Section.

How often can newsletters be sent out?

A maximum of newsletters per year is allowed except for Group Executives and the Board of Directors.


What is a steward?

By virtue of legislation and individual collective agreements, stewards are the official representatives of the Institute in the workplace and as such represents ALL Institute members, as well as non-members covered by the collective agreement )known as Rand members), within a specific area of jurisdiction. They deal as equals with the employer and provide a channel of communication between the members, management and the Institute.

Stewards assist in the interpretation and promotion of Institute policies and programs, act as advisors to members and are usually the first contact between the member and the Institute.

What is a Rand member?

Employees belonging to a bargaining unit who have not applied for membership are RAND members. They are nonetheless required by legislation (Rand Formula) to pay union dues, as they benefit from the collective agreement negotiated by the union on behalf of the members of the bargaining unit.

Are there categories of Stewards?

No. There is only one category of stewards.

Stewards - volunteers who wish to become engaged in one or another of the facets of representing members to management and who have taken the basic training course. Upon signing an application form to become a steward, a member will become a steward-in-waiting until he/she completes the basic training course. Upon completing this course, the member will be appointed as a steward.

What are the responsibilities of a steward?

  • attend training offered by the Institute
  • promote the Institute to the members
  • act as Institute representatives in dealings with the employer
  • assist in solving members' work-related problems
  • communicate member’s concerns and issues to the PIPSC regional office staff and the employer
  • support and participate in labour actions as required

The steward's most important responsibility is to ensure that the provisions of the collective agreements are followed by the employer. The steward deals with member complaints, advises, assists and may represent members on the processing of a grievance, provides information to the membership on a variety of activities and issues, and represents members in meetings with management.

What are examples of steward's duties?

Day-to-day activities:

  • assist members in solving workplace problems, including handling complaints which may lead to grievances
  • being aware of Institute policies, programs and positions;
  • circulate information intended for Institute members;
  • keep bulletin boards for Institute use in the workplace updated with current information;
  • know where to obtain answers to questions regarding the workplace and the collective agreement and on terms and conditions of employment not contained in collective agreements;
  • meet new employees and tell them about the Institute;
  • be aware of the concerns of the members in the workplace, and communicate those concerns to the relevant elected officials, stewards and/or staff.
  • encourage new employees and RANDS to become members
  • ensure all members have received a current copy of their collective agreement from the employer and understand it
  • represent the Institute views at union/management consultation meetings
  • keep members informed about issues on which the Institute has voiced an opinion

Duties during the collective bargaining process:

  • organize phone networks or e-mail groups for the dissemination of information
  • encourage members to attend preparation meetings and fill out questionnaires
  • keep members informed of developments at the bargaining table through meetings or e-mails
  • understand the bargaining process and applicable dispute resolution mechanism(strike, conciliation or arbitration)so as to be able to answer member questions
  • encourage members to take part in job action if required
  • organize meetings to explain the terms of a new tentative agreement and encourage members to vote
  • during the life of the collective agreement, keep track of grievances as these may provide insight in future bargaining rounds

Participation in workplace committees:

  • departmental/agency consultations
  • Occupational Safety and Health (OSH)
  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
  • Harassment
  • Employment Equity

Are stewards required to take training?

Members who have applied to become stewards must first attend the basic steward training session offered through their PIPSC regional office prior to being officially appointed. Stewards are then encouraged to attend specialized training modules offered in the regional training schools to increase their knowledge and improve their skills in a number of work-related areas.

If a steward is a member of an Occupational Safety and Health Committee or a Union Management Consultation Committee, he/she must commit to taking advanced training on this topic as soon as possible. Stewards who fail to do so could be forced to resign from the committee as they would no longer have the support of their union.

The Institute strongly recommends that members   sitting on OSH committees become stewards. However, a resolution adopted by the PIPSC Annual General Meeting stated that this was not mandatory. This being said, members sitting on OSH Committees must attend the training offered by the Institute.

Why should I become a steward?

Stewards deal on an equal basis with the employer. Union officials are generally protected from discipline for making statements against their employer provided their comments are made in the course of their union duties. The reason for this protection is clear: the integrity of the adversarial nature of the collective bargaining process must be preserved. There must be a recognition that once employees assume union responsibilities, their status changes drastically.

A steward must be able to present the union’s positions assertively. To deny this protection would be to stifle the legitimate union representation of employees in the workplace.

Some Groups have members of their Executives appointed as stewards for their protection and to guarantee their right to consult with the employer. It is strongly recommended that all members of Group Executives become stewards. All members of consultation teams must be stewards.

It is also recommended that PIPSC members sitting on various employer committees (such as Employment Equity, OSH, etc.) also become stewards as this would allow them to take the required training offered by PIPSC as well as keeping them informed on PIPSC’s position on various topics.

How do I apply to become a Steward?

Members wishing to become a steward should fill out the PIPSC Steward Application Form available on the PIPSC Web site - Stewards Page - Forms. Ensure that your Steward Application Form is signed by at least other members in your workplace. Return the completed application to the Steward Coordinator at the PIPSC National Office.

What is the Steward Approval Process?

Group Executive have the responsibility of approving or rejecting steward applications. If the Group Executive approves an application, the Institute President has the ultimate responsibility of appointing (or not) the steward. Once the appointment is confirmed, a letter is sent to the employer informing them of the name of the steward as well as his/her area of jurisdiction.

How long is the term of a steward?

A stewards appointed for a term of up to three years which is renewable.

What is the Renewal Process?

All stewards will receive a renewal form in late August of the year in which their stewardship expires. On this form, the stewards will be required to indicate the activities in which they have taken part over their last term. These forms will be returned to the PIPSC Steward Coordinator.

The presidents of each constituent body (Sub-Group, Branch and Region) will be sent a list of all stewards in their jurisdiction whose stewardship is expiring and a copy of the signed renewal forms. They will be asked to provide input on the potential renewal of those stewards and to send their approval or objections, in writing, to the Institute Steward Coordinator.

The PIPSC Steward Coordinator will send, to the chair of each group (or chief steward where applicable), a list of all stewards in the group whose stewardship is expiring, along with a copy of the completed renewal forms and any comments received from the other constituent bodies. Group Chairs (or Chief Stewards) will be asked to provide their recommendation on the renewal of those stewards.

Once approval is received from the Group, the Steward Coordinator sends a letter to the stewards, advising them whether or not their stewardship is being renewed.

If the renewal of the stewardship is approved, the steward will receive a new steward card and certificate early in the new year. If the renewal of stewardship is declined, the steward will be so advised and they will be invited to contact the appropriate Group Executive to obtain further details should they wish to do so.

General Information

Where can I get general information?

Feel free to contact the Help Desk at the National Office or consult the Web site (www.pipsc.ca). You can also contact your regional office for assistance.

Where do I get a copy of my collective agreement?

It is the responsibility of the employer to supply all employees with a copy of their collective agreement. If you do not have a copy of your collective agreement, contact your Human Resources Officer. Electronic versions of agreements are also available on the PIPSC Web site and the Treasury Board Web site (for TB Groups); they may also be available on departmental intra-net sites.

What do I do if I move or resign?

Please go to the PIPSC Web site, click on Update Your Membership Information and then click on Change of Address. You can also call the Membership Section at the PIPSC National Office or your Regional Office.

Please advise us upon leaving the public service or changing departments as the delays to receive this information from the employer are often quite lengthy.

Please advise the Membership Section immediately (phone, mail or email) if you are resigning from your position as an elected official or a steward so that our records can be kept up to date.

PIPSC Groups


Employer: Treasury Board

  • Applied Science and Patent Examination (SP)
  • Audit, Commerce and Purchasing (AV)
  • Computer Systems (CS)
  • Engineering, Architecture and Land Survey (NR)
  • Health Services (SH)
  • Research (RE)

Employer: Canada Revenue Agency

  • Audit, Financial and Scientific (AFS)

Employer: Canadian Food Inspection Agency

  • Informatics (CFIA-IN)
  • Scientific and Analytical (CFIA-S&A)
  • Veterinary Medicine (CFIA-VM)

Employer: Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission

  • Nuclear Regulatory Group (NUREG)

Employer: Canadian Tourism Commission

  • Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC)

Employer: National Energy Board

  • National Energy Board Professional Employees (NEB)

Employer: National Film Board

  • Administration and Foreign Service Category
  • Scientific/Professional Category

Employer: National Research Council

  • Information Services (NRC-IS)
  • Library Science (NRC-LS)
  • Research Officers& Research Council Officers (NRC-RO/RCO)
  • Translation (NRC-TR)

Employer: Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions

  • Regulatory Officers (OSFI)


Employer: House of Commons

  • House of Commons Procedural Clerks, Analysis and Reference (HOC)

Employer: Senate

  • Senate Legislative Clerks (SEN)


Employer: Atomic Energy of Canada Limited

  • Chalk River Professional Employees (CRPEG)
  • Whiteshell Professional Employees (WPEG)

Employer: Canadian Commercial Corporation

  • Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC)

Employer: Canadian Museum of Civilization

  • Canadian Museum of Civilization (CMC)

Employer: Canadian Museum of Nature

  • Canadian Museum of Nature (MNS)

Employer: National Gallery of Canada

  • National Gallery of Canada (NGC)

Employer: NAV Canada

  • NAVCanada (NAV)

Employer: Weenebayko General Hospital

  • Weenebayko General Hospital (AGH)

Employer: Yukon Hospital Corporation

  • Whitehorse General Hospital (WGH)


Employer: Deer Lodge Centre

  • Medicine(DLC-MD)
  • Nursing (DLC-NU)

Employer: Civil Service Commission

  • Organization of Professional Engineers Employed by the Province of Manitoba (OPEEPM)


Employer: New Brunswick Board of Management

  • Agriculture (NB-AG )
  • Engineering, Land Surveying and Architecture (NB-EN)
  • Veterinarians(NB-VM)


Employer: Cancer Care Ontario

  • Medical Physicists - Regional Cancer Centres Employers (CCOMP)
  • Radiation Therapists - Sunnybrook - Women’s Health Sciences (CCORT-TS)
  • Radiation Therapists - Windsor Regional Hospital (CCORT-WR)
  • Radiation Therapists - Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences (TBHRT)

Employer: University of Ottawa

  • IT Specialists

Institute Offices

In addition to the National Office in Ottawa, the Institute Maintains offices in six other Canadian cities. These offices are staffed with experienced Employment and Labour Relations Officers who provide representational services to individual members encountering difficulties in their employment situation. The addresses of the National Office and regional offices can be found on the inside cover of this guide.

You may also be interested in...