Your University of Ottawa IT Professionals bargaining team is pleased to announce that we’ve finished bargaining and reached a tentative agreement with the University of Ottawa to renew the collective agreement until April 30, 2023.
The salary increase is currently limited by the Protecting a Sustainable Public Sector for Future Generations Act, 2019 to 1% for each year of the contract. The legality of this act is currently before the courts. We have an agreement with the university to renegotiate pay if the courts agree with us that the act cannot be upheld.
The tentative agreement contains other important improvements to issues such as:
- Retirement allowance will continue to accrue for employees hired before April 30, 2018
- Improved workplace harassment and violence language
- Updated parental benefits
- Increased timeline for members to submit a grievance
- Updated leaves with and without pay as per the Employment Standards Act
- New protective language on temporary shutdown of the university and temporary layoffs of 3 months or less
- Clarification and language improvements to sick leave
- Term employees able to access benefits 1 year earlier
- Employer to provide vacation approvals within 10 days of request
- Improved extended health benefits
You will be invited to vote on this new agreement in the coming weeks. Voting dates will be announced shortly.
You will receive a detailed ratification package with all the changes highlighted. Please take the time to read and understand all the changes. The bargaining team will also be hosting virtual town halls to answer questions on the tentative agreement.
The bargaining team appreciates all the support and interest members took in this round of negotiations. Keep an eye on your email or the group page for updates.
Your UOITP bargaining team