PIPSC Executive NCVI Branch  - Feb 26, 2019 - Smoke N Water Restaurant, Parksville



Carl Cahoon (Spring 2019) Branch President

Nick Leone (Spring 2020) Branch VP

Tamas Lipcsey (Spring 2019) Branch Treas

Jennifer Mollins (Spring 2020) Br Secretary

Diana McHugh (Spring 2019) Branch MAL

Alan Messner (Spring 2019) Branch MAL

Jean Van Der Mark (Spring 2019) Br R-MAL

Kalie Gossen (Spring 2019) Branch MAL

Bill Woolverton (Spring 2019) Branch R-MAL


Charles Fort (Spring 2019) Branch R-MAL


1.  Commence with quorum  of 9, approve agenda

  • Recognition that on traditional territory of the Coast Salish people
  • Motion to approve minutes of last meeting - M/S Jean/Bill

2.  Action items last  meeting

  1. Schedule branch AGM in Spring - Jennifer - complete. Will be May 23
  2. Order branch shirts for new executive members Diana and Kalie shirts (Carl) -  Both arrived as wrong sizes, will work to return/replace with the proper size
  3. Order visibility items for AGM, possibly TUIF shirts (Carl) - complete.  WIll distribute to members to wear especially on Fridays at work, and encourage to wear in public to start the conversation about how unions have benefited everyone.
  4. Schedule a branch AGM speaker from PIPSC branch office - Jennifer - Will contact Rob MacDonald for speech about Your Union Has Got Your Back / Union 101 / 100 Anniversary of Winnipeg General Strike / How Unions Revitalize Workplace Democracy themed talk
  5. Form an AGM branch hospitality committee - All executives will take this role, all members included and invited and welcomed
  6. Follow up on branch joining the CLC in Comox and Campbell River - Bill - ongoing.  May attend DLC meeting to check it out.  REgional executive is exploring membership at BC level.
  7. Schedule future joint branch and subgroup meeting - Jennifer and Dan - plan for Sept

3.  Treasurer's Report

  • Branch Financials for 2018 YTD, budget for 2018 and 2019 - accepted as information
  • Branch motions for any expenses approved by email - none
  • Motion to buy up to 30 more TUIF shirts, if required - M/S Nick Allan

4. Branch standing items

  • AGM
      • AGM duties assigned
        • NEW: Hospitality committee - all members of the executive
        • 2 Baskets - motion to buy baskets M/S Allan/Carl. 
          • Action - Carl and Nick will each prepare a basket
        • Elections committee - Charles and Diana
        • Greeters / front door - Allan and Jean
        • Coins for parking - Tamas
        • Verify the parking rate - Kalie
        • Zoom - Bill
        • Budget 2020 - Tamas
        • Presidents Report - Carl
        • Invitations / agenda - Jennifer
        • Materials /banner - Jennifer and Nick
        • Venue / menu - Nick
      • Draft agenda and invitation  - Jennifer to finalize and send out

5. New Business / Roundtable / Updates

  • Teleworking challenges when being asked to maintain computer with support at a distance (driving to Victoria at own cost for computer servicing)
  • Concern with collective agreement adding breaks, and employer retaliating by increasing the quota goals
  • PIPSC Do Better funding available for events
    • Action: Prepare ideas for International Labour Day, Canadian Labour Day and/or Public Service weeks for our branch - All
  • Regional Council branch delegates - Kalie, Allan and Tamas will be primary delegates, with alternates Nick and Bill.  Carl to inform Region

6..Next meeting: April - date to be finalized by Doodle