Executive Meeting of July 27, 2020 (4th of the year)

Videoconference meeting via Zoom

Start of the meeting: 8:30 a.m.



In attendance: Yvon Brodeur, Stéphanie Fréchette, Martine Lacroix, Hugo Landry,
 Benoît Pelletier, Gerlando Renna, Robert Tellier and Christian Tremblay.

Regrets:  Nancy Lavoie, Réjean Michaud and Richard Doyle.



  1. Welcoming remarks.

Yvon welcomed everyone and will chair the meeting (8:41).

  1. Approval of the agenda.

All in favour — The resolution is carried.

  1. Approval of the minutes of June 15, 2020.

The minutes of the June 15, 2020, meeting were unanimously adopted.

  1. Matters arising from the minutes of June 15, 2020.


  • i) 2020 AGM: PIPSC will hold its 2020 AGM virtually on December 5, 2020. In the meantime, bids have been launched to find a service provider. (Action: Yvon):

Yvon has not had any other information about this. This topic will be discussed at a special Board meeting on August 12, 2020. There will be some updated information to come after this meeting. (Action: Yvon)

  • ii) PIPSC 100th Anniversary Project: According to Yvon, it will be difficult to award a prize (or prizes) in Québec as it is a bit late to get organized. Robert suggested that quotes could still be presented at the regional level. (Action: Yvon):

Yvon will present 2 quotes from the region. They will be signed by the President.

  • iii) Masks or face covers: Richard informed us that the masks ordered have been received and are being distributed to the right people. Those that have not been used by the people who received them could be redistributed. Following the last Board of Directors meeting, PIPSC is asking the Regions to order masks via the E-Store next time. Benoît points out that the obligation to order through the E-Store goes against a resolution adopted in 2016 that cancelled the continuation of the online store. Each Region became responsible for ordering their materials according to established criteria. (Action: Stéphanie):

A letter was prepared and given to the Director to send to the Board. The letter was sent to the Translation Section and the translated copy was returned to Yvon, without being distributed to the other members of the Board. Yvon will follow up. (Action: Yvon)

Yvon indicated that we are now talking about a mask produced by an aboriginal company and that it will cost $8.50, taxes and delivery included. Members will place their orders directly with PIPSC. Hugo asks if we’re talking about real face covers or if they are still headbands / balaclavas? Hugo also mentioned that he did not want the National Office to decide from which company the face covers must be ordered.

Yvon will put the E-store item back on the agenda and will follow up on the type of face cover (mask or tube). (Action: Yvon)

  • iv) 2020 virtual training sessions: This topic will be discussed at the next meeting of the TEC, which will take place on June 29, 2020. Yvon sent us a document prepared by Kimberley Skanes regarding upcoming training sessions. This document suggests, among other things, that the following 3 training sessions (Basic Delegate, OHS and Harassment) would be given by EROs. Yvon asked us to read it and to send our comments to himself and Martine. Martine pointed out that the document presented goes against our way of doing things in Québec, and Robert added that we could lose our grant from CNESST if we change our OHS training. (Action: Martine):

Martine indicated that it was Robert who attended the last TEC meeting. Robert talked about proposals for virtual training by the EROs. There is no mention in the proposed formula that trainers should be stewards, or even an ERO/steward combination. He was disappointed because he finds that PIPSC does not take into account the very positive and conclusive experience of the Québec region.

  • v) Recruitment: Yvon informed us that 36 people have indicated their intention to become a steward. He wondered about the training to be given and how it will be given. Robert suggested working with groups and Hugo believes that it is best to work individually with members wishing to become a steward. Martine will talk about this at her next TEC meeting and Stéphanie suggested that we should devote more energy to the retention and well-being of our current stewards. Benoît reminded us that inviting non-steward members to our activities remains a good practice and PIPSC, for its part, is once again talking about mentoring. (Action: Martine):

See Robert’s response to the previous point.

  • vi) Other follow-ups:

NJC: Yvon did not get any reports.

Official Languages: There was no meeting. Yvon will make contact again.

Constituent Body Elections: See the email Stéphanie sent us.


  1. Meeting of the Board of Directors on July 24 and 25, 2020 (by videoconference)

Value to our members:

  • a) COVID face covers for members. See point 4. iii)
  • b) Assigning ZOOM accounts:

PIPSC estimates that 2,400 people could apply for a Zoom account. At $20 per month per person, the estimated cost is $48,000. PIPSC has decided to offer a Zoom account to all Constituent Body Presidents who are asking for one.

  • c) Future Skills Project:

The committee is composed of Debi Daviau and Eddie Gillis.

Eddie Gillis does not intend to present the project at the AGM, as was done for “Professionals Canada”.

Regarding the expenses involved, Yvon was told that PIPSC did not need to go through the AGM for this type of project.

He asked to read the document provided before the meeting.

There were no issues about making it public. He asked for our comments.

  • d) Face-to-face member meetings in 2020:

Nancy McCune presented a resolution recommending the authorization of face-to-face meetings for Chapter and Regional executives beginning September 1st. There was no debate. The discussion was postponed to the August 12 meeting.

  • e) Virtual presentation of the Basic Steward Training:

Discussions about upcoming training courses and how PIPSC wants to deliver them.

Increased Influence:

  • f) Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives:

Read the document. For possible discussions.


  1. Model Organization
  • a) Regional Directors Meeting:

Yvon informed us that the PIPSC president had indicated that she no longer wanted the Regional Directors to meet prior to Board meetings to discuss the agenda items of these Board meetings.

  • b) Posting on PIPSC’s Website:

Yvon informed us that constituent bodies will no longer be allowed to submit publications directly. Everything will now have to go through PIPSC’s communications team.

There will be a follow-up on these 2 items at the August 12 meeting.


  1. Housekeeping

Regarding items a) and b), a closed session was requested. Carried unanimously.

There are no notes from the discussion.

  • c) There will be a Special Meeting on August 12th at 1:00 pm.

For your information.

  • d) The next regular meeting of the Board is scheduled on September 25-26, 2020.

For your information.


  • e) Extension of Standing Committee mandates.

The Board agreed to extend the terms of all standing committee members by one year.


  1. Miscellaneous


  1. Round Table
  • a) Gerry received an invoice for observers at CDS 2019 and wondered about it. One person was a member in the process of becoming a steward, so it is PIPSC that has to pay the costs. The others are OK, so the Region will pay for it.
  • b) Hugo asked how the votes will be held at the National AGM. Yvon said the votes will be held with voting buttons, but they don’t have the details yet on how it will work exactly.

Hugo also indicated that he shot a video to explain his work at Environment Canada.

  • c) Martine said she is disappointed with the way the training is going at PIPSC. For health reasons, she wishes to leave her place on the TEC regional committee and asked if anyone is interested in replacing her to complete the mandate.
  • d) Robert said that the Québec Region has been working very hard for several years to develop experiential, peer-to-peer training. The training sessions are appreciated by the participants.  He is disappointed that PIPSC does not recognize and take into account the results obtained by the Québec Region. He also wants to leave his place on the TEC regional committee.

10. Next meeting date: Yvon will send us an invitation after his meeting on August 12th.

11. Closing remarks:

Yvon thanked everyone for their participation.

The meeting was closed at 10:26 am.


Minutes prepared by Benoît Pelletier.