QUEBEC REGIONAL COUNCIL
JANUARY 13, 2018 AT 8:30 A.M.
HÔTEL MONFORT, NICOLET
- CALL TO ORDER
Yvon welcomed everyone and wished them a happy new year. He thanked them for coming.
Present: Yvon Brodeur, Réjean Michaud, Benoit Pelletier, Lyne Larocque, Richard Doyle, Christian Tremblay, Steve Parent, Renaud Guiard and Patrick Sioui.
Absent: Robert Tellier and Damien Noël.
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
Moved by: Renaud Guiard Seconded by: Lyne Larocque
It was decided that Other Business would remain open.
- READING AND APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Moved by: Richard Doyle Seconded by: Patrick Sioui
- BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES (DECEMBER 8, 2017)
- Yvon informed us that he had spoken with the member concerned about the Executive's decision in regard to the Facebook posting.
– Drummondville Training School: Yvon informed us that he had checked with PIPSC’s finance department about the reimbursement issues. Absentee days were not claimed and PIPSC’s financial policies were followed. There are similar concerns in the other regions related to absences and early departures to attend PIPSC events or training.
- Benoit read an excerpt from PIPSC’s Harassment Policy and proposed that something be presented at the beginning of each event as a friendly reminder for consistency in what is done at the various events. We discussed the choices of text to present. We agreed to prepare a document in point form to be presented at each event and to include the policy in the binders. Benoit will send us a revised document in the coming weeks.
- Other actions items are included in the agenda.
- DIRECTOR’S REPORT
- Iqaluit: Yvon spoke with a financial officer about a member who left an activity too early, without warning, which resulted in significant costs to PIPSC.
He also asked if it would be possible for Iqaluit to be affiliated with the NCR Region.
Rules of Engagement /Code of Conduct: Yvon will share a model document to work on. Lyne will prepare a first draft on this matter.
Community radio: Yvon and Denis Caissy have registered to have a forum to discuss union issues on a Québec City radio station (CKRL). Phoenix is an item that could be presented. CUPE already has a similar program. Yvon will ask PIPSC about the topics to be presented. Action.
Report on the most recent Regional Directors meeting: Not yet translated, but it includes the following point. A director had requested money for Labour Day. He informed us that a resolution will be presented so that there is funding available for dates other than May 1 (e.g. first Monday in September). Yvon informed us of the activities held in the past.
Bonus for isolated posts in the Gaspé: The NJC has requested that an arbitrator resolve the debate. Yvon asked Debi to talk to PSAC so that we can join together and ask the NJC not to go to arbitration and to continue to fight to bring back the bonus.
- Meeting with Magali Picard: Yvon met her in Ottawa. They will discuss upcoming "hot" issues in the Quebec Region at a later date.
Yvon said that he met with the FTQ Communications team. He showed us a video made for PIPSC at Environment Canada for promotional purposes.
- Phoenix: According to Christian, it would be better to fix the system than to drop it altogether. Yvon specified that Phoenix will be on the agenda for the next Board meeting, which is to be held in Montréal next week. Some could attend the meeting as an observer.
- Board of Directors: Christian asked Yvon how things were going on the Board. Yvon was not allowed to talk about it, but he did say that the next Board meeting will be critical. He will get back to us on it.
- TREASURER’S REPORT
Since Robert was absent, Benoit sharing information with us on the proposed budget for the coming year. We gave feedback and asked questions. It appears that we will not have our full allocation because the planned expenses were paid by the National Office in 2017; however, Robert requested that some money ($13,000)be earmarked for two special events in 2018.
- REGIONAL AND NATIONAL COMMITTEES: CHAIRMANSHIP, MEMBERS & REPORTS
- Education and Learning: No new meetings since the last one. Next meeting set for February 23, 2018. A discussion took place on the relevance of having a list of training sessions available at the regional level. Courses taken with the FTQ should be recognized by PIPSC.
- List of national committee chairs and representatives in Quebec:
Yvon brought us up to date on the following:
By-Laws and Policies: Nancy McCune and Stéphanie Fréchette
Elections: Jim MacMillen and Christine Lemay
Elections Appeals: Pam Kubicz, no representative in Quebec
Finance: Sean O'Reilly and Benoit Pelletier
Rights: Mario Guertin and Patrick Sioui
IT Services: Greg Schriver and Hugo Landry
Learning and Training: Kimberly Skanes and Robert Tellier
Professional Recognition: Thomas Landry and Johanne Potvin
Science Advisory: Jean Bérubé and Pierre Morin
Human Rights: No meetings since our last meeting.
Finance: Benoit said that there was a meeting on December 11. The 2018-2019 budget has been updated. The cash flow is good. Resources are allocated for dues vs. Phoenix.
- IT: No report received from Christian Gaboury.
Young Professionals Committee: We are still waiting for the welcome package. The Executive and the Regional Office should do their share. Yvon said that he went to meet some new members at the Guy Favreau Complex. They told him that they had not received any information about the union or the representative since their arrival. Upcoming meeting: Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Status of Women: Still waiting for approval on what they want to put on the card holder. Next meeting will be held on January 31. A survey is also underway.
Official Languages: Yvon informed us that the committee is being renewed for another year. He said that he had a meeting in Montréal on December 3 and 4, 2017. There are still three positions to be filled: Prairies, NCR and Atlantic. Report to follow.
By-Laws: Nothing new to report.
- UPDATES ON FILES BY THEIR LEADS
– Branch Liaison: Nothing new to report. Renaud would like to know the date, if a strategic planning retreat is being held this year, so that the let the Branch Presidents and others know quickly.
Hotels: Steve proposed that the staff be responsible for booking hotels for regional activities. We are discussing options and what happened in the past few years. We decided to continue to book the hotels ourselves. We will review the criteria and ensure that they are met.
- Mobilization: Phoenix and micro credit through the Fonds de solidarité FTQ. PSAC project with the Desjardins Caisse des travailleuses et travailleurs unis offering agreements to employees experiencing pay problems.
Promotional items: New supplier: Universal Promotions, Boucherville, c/o Joanita Comeau. Product selection criteria: from Quebec, Canadian, union made.
- 2018 REGIONAL COUNCIL - CHAIR OF THE ELECTIONS COMMITTEE
Request received from Richard East to chair the election. Lyne Larocque offered to work with Richard. One more person is needed for the committee.
- LABOUR DAY: TUESDAY, MAY 1 AND MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 3:
A budget will be allocated by PIPSC for participation in this event. We will wait to see what happens at the next Board meeting before deciding on what we will do and when.
- STRATEGY COMMITTEE: UPDATE BY THE CURRENT COMMITTEE
We will meet in the coming months to finalize our first draft. Several dates and locations are being considered: To be decided by email and Doodle.
12. OTHER BUSINESS:
12.1: Benoit presented his idea of posting a laminated card at the Quebec Region buildings displaying the contact information for PIPSC’s Montréal office.
12.2 Patrick: We could give charitable organizations the $25 from Loblaws given to all those who have bought bread at their stores in recent years.
10. ROUND TABLE
No other business was raised.
11. NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURNMENT
The next meeting should be held in conjunction with our working day dedicated to the Strategy Committee, if it fits into our agenda.
Steve moved that the meeting be adjourned. Seconded by Patrick.