Quebec Regional Executive Meeting - April 1, 2017
QUEBEC REGIONAL COUNCIL
APRIL 1, 2017, 8:30 A.M.
MANOIR VICTORIA - QUEBEC CITY
- CALL TO ORDER
- Present: Yvon Brodeur, Réjean Michaud, Robert Tellier, Benoit Pelletier, Steve Parent, Renaud Guiard, Christian Tremblay, Lyne Larocque, Damien Noël, Richard Doyle
- Absent: Patrick Sioui
As Chair, Yvon called the meeting to order after establishing quorum.
- READING AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Réjean sent the agenda by email. A few additions were made to New Business; this item remained open.
Moved by Richard Doyle.
Seconded by Renaud Guiard.
- READING AND APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Réjean sent out the minutes by email. No corrections were made.
Moved by Benoît Pelletier.
Seconded by Steve Parent.
- BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE JANUARY 27, 2017 MEETING
- The items requiring action are all on the agenda.
- DIRECTOR’S REPORT
- Mandates and appointment of Director for 2017: Yvon shared the Board report.
Mandates include the linking of Young Professionals Committees and Executive compensation.
- Student employment for the Region: The FTQ has a student employment program and 80% of student wages are expected to be paid through a dedicated fund. Yvon thinks that a student in a communication program could benefit the Region. Since the request has to be submitted by March 31, the plan is to make the request for the summer of 2018. Lynn suggested planning some work on our electronic platforms (including Facebook).
- Other committees in training:
- Debi asked that we go ahead and set up a diversity committee. It was suggested that the work be done based on the DND document and in collaboration with Mario Guertin. Document to be shared.
- Pension, disability, health care, dental care: Quebec Region pilot project involving lunch and learns in the Region. Réjean and Steve will serve on this team.
- Past and future events:
- Progress Summit 2017, Broadbent Institute: Christian addressed a few particular points, mainly about how to move forward on left-leaning files (strategy), how to re-evaluate the capitalism of the day (beer and politics night, climate change for example). David Campanozzi will go with Christian to the Progress Summit, which is set for April 5 to 7 in Ottawa. A resolution is expected to be tabled so that PIPSC representatives who attend external symposiums are required to submit a report to PIPSC.
- Canadian Labour Congress Triennial Convention: Mario Guertin and Mona-Lisa Dumé will be attending for the Quebec Region. The selection criteria were shared. The theme will be Employment Equity and the convention will take place in Toronto from May8 to 12.
- Meeting with DND: DND document mentioned earlier. The Quebec Federal Council met with PIPSC on May10 in Quebec City.
- Meeting with the Quebec Federal Council: Yvon believes that we need to rebuild our relationship with the Council. Lyne will provide help in that regard.
- TREASURER’S REPORT
Financial report by Robert Tellier; see Robert’s report to be sent by email.
A discussion was initiated regarding the requests for financial support and the process for accepting/justifying expenditures. Some people understood that the organizers of specific events were to submit a plan and subsequent report. To be followed up.
For the presentation of the 2017 budget, it was proposed that Steve move the $7500 allotted for special projects to the regional activities line. Seconded by Benoit and carried unanimously.
- REGIONAL COUNCIL
Presentation of the 76th Quebec Regional Council, May 5 and 6.May 4 is the date set for the Quebec Regional Executive meeting.
Yvon reviewed the agenda.
It was suggested that during the presentation of the Quebec Regional Office Manager’s report, in addition to talking about regular business, the impact of Phoenix and the new peer training model for EROs should be discussed. Plan on one hour for a question period.
- MEETING WITH BRANCH PRESIDENTS AND COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVES
Renaud Guiardwill be the lead organizer for the event. He will be assisted by Yvon and Benoît, who offered help with the logistics. The agenda is to be prepared. Meeting planned at Estrimont on June2 and 3.
- REPRESENTATIVES FOR THE COMMITTEES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS (POSITIONS TO BE FILLED)
Lyne is now the representative on the By-Laws and Policies Committee.
Elections Appeals Committee: no name
Information Technology Services and Projects Committee: Christian Gaboury.
- REGIONAL AND NATIONAL COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Training and Education Committee: Robert said that the date of the committee meeting had been changed today. This is the second meeting that was scheduled for a date when Robert was not available due to a scheduling conflict of union meetings. Yvon will revisit the situation at the Board of Directors meeting. In addition, he was asked to question why the Training and Education Committee had given itself a mandate without Yvon being aware of where the mandate had come from (training reform and course prioritization).
Discussion on the regional training schedule:
Late May: OHS
- Finance Committee (Benoit Pelletier): next meeting on April 27, 2017.
- Human Rights: Patrick was absent.
- IT: Christian Gaboury is new to the committee and has not yet submitted a report.
- Young Professionals Committee: Yvon said that the president has been preparing an application for funding for the Young Professionals Committees in each region. The Board approved the project. There was a lengthy discussion about increased dues and sound management of spending. Each region will be allocated $28,000 for four annual meetings. The document containing this decision will be shared with us. This allocation will be in effect until 2018.
- Status of Women: Next meeting to be held April 7, 2017 in Trois-Rivières. A report will be submitted.
- Official Languages: Meeting tomorrow with the committee. The committee received some complaints and they will be reviewed at the meeting.
- UPDATES ON FILES BY THEIR LEADS
– Branch Liaison: Renaud is organizing a strategy meeting for June (see item #8).
- Hotel location (Damien and Benoit): Damien said he was disappointed not to have been involved in the hotel discussion. It took place at the January 27 meeting, which he was unable to attend. Yvon informed us that the problem lies in confirming everyone’s interest in continuing to serve on the committees for the next calendar year. Damien presented to us what he understood as his job: it has many aspects, including getting the dates and number of rooms and participants for each event early enough, as well as the schedule for planning everything. Damien reminded us that he would like the contract process to be rigorous and that he finds it hard when information comes late. A discussion was initiated between the various members on the matter.
Robert pointed out that the Training Committee could not bring forward dates for 2018, given that training was currently under reform (re: item #10).
- Visibility and mobilization items: Some visibility materials were ordered for the Region. Samples are to come. Lyne recommended that we have a list of the materials available, as well as where they are being stored.
- STRATEGY COMMITTEE: UPDATE BY THE CURRENT COMMITTEE
Steve and Patrick are drafting a discussion paper. Only Réjean has made comments so far on the discussion paper. They are waiting for all of the Executive members to provide feedback so that they can document and improve the processes by the end of April.
Christian suggested making it a regular item on the agenda. He also suggested that it be fairly high on the agenda and that a maximum amount of time (e.g. one hour) be set aside to discuss it at each meeting. Carried unanimously.
11. OTHER BUSINESS
- Establishment of a new Haut-Richelieu Branch
A request to establish a new Haut-Richelieu Branch was submitted. A map showing the area was presented. Yvon will ask that the area be well defined by workplace address, and Member Services will be asked for a list of potential members.
Steve suggested informing the two Branches that will be affected by the establishment of the new Branch, namely Montérégie and Estrie. Lyne suggested getting more information (including the number of members affected) before the Executive decides on whether to approve the new Branch.
- Montérégie Branch: One question was raised: Was there a mandate to divide up the Montérégie Branch?
No: There was no mandate in regard to the Montérégie Branch or any other Branch.
The Region supports the Branches. Branches can be based either on a certain area or department.
Some Executive members responded to questions from regional members regarding the establishment of Branches.
- Public Service Employee Survey: Richard informed us that they had told their members to refuse to complete it. As of today, only 30% have completed the survey.
- February training (Training School): The Training Committee has not yet completed its event report. Survey results are not available, but the comments received so far have been positive.
- Draw up a list of the Region’s assets (inventory) and where they are located (assets worth over $200): Renaud has created a Google document in which each of the Executive members can record the assets and where they are being kept.
- Minutes of previous meetings: not available on the website. Réjean will send the 2016 minutes to Anne to be translated and posted.
- Invite Serge Marquis to speak at the Stewards Council. Moved by Robert. Seconded by Benoit.
- Application for funding – Drummondville EAP: $250 given to the organizer.
- Application for $300 to support the Quebec City Retired Members Guild. Their allocation is less than that of conventional branches. The money will be used for regular business. Carried unanimously.
- ROUND TABLE
Yvon had to leave and no other business was brought up by the other participants.
- NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURNMENT
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 4 in Drummondville, the night before the Regional Council.
As for the meeting that is to take place between October13 and November17, a decision was made to have it on Friday, November10 at 8 a.m. in Trois-Rivières.
The meeting was adjourned.
Moved by Lyne.
Seconded by Benoît.