PIPSC WINNIPEG and SOUTHERN MANITOBA BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING
January 14, 2020 5:00 pm
PIPSC Office 960-363 Broadway Ave., Winnipeg, MB
Present: Jason Caners, Christine Freeman, Terri Gobeil (Phone), Cory Graham, David Hakes, Kevin Jacobs, Donna Johnston, Mo Khakbazan (Phone), Pramesh Selliah
1. Call to Order
- Cory called the meeting to order at 17:00
2. Approval of Agenda
- Add Open House Re-cap
- Add discussion of WSMB Logo
- Review of Google Drive
- Moved by Cory/seconded by Kevin that the agenda, as amended, be approved.
3. Approval of Minutes:
- Moved by Kevin/ seconded by Donna that the minutes of November 22, 2019 be approved as circulated
4. President’s Report
- Cory attended the Prairie Northwest Territories Regional Executive Meeting December 6, 2019.
- Cory endeavoured to order PIPSC Anniversary promotional material however was informed the order was not received.
5. Treasurer’s Report – Jason
- Report on File
- Jason indicated the branch had a 2019 budget surplus of $X revenue of $X versus expenditures of $X for an account balance of $X
6. New Business
- Brandon Children’s Christmas Party was a success.
- Open House in Winnipeg
- 113 members participated including 12 retired members (Retired Members Guild will contribute $X to WSMB)
- Total cost of the Open house was $X. The Branch acknowledges the support of PIPSC Better Together Campaign of $X.
- It was noted that tickets should be counted to due potential discrepancies
- Rand members to be encouraged to sign membership cards should they arrive as some may not know they are not regular members.
- Suggest having application forms available at future events.
- 100th Anniversary Events
- It was noted that there will be an open house at PIPSC office between 13:00 and 16:00 on February 6, 2020.
- The Prairies Regional Executive will be present to meet with members.
- Events at other offices:
Motion that the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse up to $X based on receipts to Mo Khakbazan for a PIPSC 100 Anniversary event in Brandon.
- Moved by Mo Seconded by Chris
- Motion that the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse up to $X based on receipts to Kevin Jacobs for a PIPSC 100 Anniversary event at 501 University Crescent in Winnipeg.
- Moved by Kevin Seconded by Pramesh
- Motion that the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse up to $X based on receipts to Terri Gobeil for a PIPSC 100 Anniversary event at Employment and Social Development Canada in Winnipeg.
- Moved by Terri Seconded by Donna
- Motion that the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse up to $X based on receipts to Cory Graham for a PIPSC 100 Anniversary event for MAGE members in Winnipeg.
- Moved by Cory Seconded by Pramesh
- Length of minutes: The Prairie Regional Executive requested minutes be abbreviated where possible as translation is backlogged.
- Review of google drive: Jason will update administration of the drive.
- Discussion on Logo: The WSMB Executive decided to use the generic PIPSC logo for visibility items however will explore other options.
- Motion to approve the expenditure of up to $X for visibility items for the WSMB.
- Moved by Pramesh Seconded by Jason
- Discussion of CLC convention May 2020 in Vancouver.
- Corry informed the Branch the selection of delegates will take place by the Advisory Council during their meeting February 1st, 2020.
- WSMB AGM Planning:
- AGM will be at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg March 12th 2020 with a meeting at 17:00 followed by Dinner and Cash Bar at 18:30.
- Jason to assist with tickets
- Executive to assist on day of the event. Mo- election Chair, Mo, Donna, Pramesh and Kevin are Election Committee members.
- AGM elections there are 6 positions up for election (5 two years terms and 1 one year term)
- One election will be held for all positions. Those with the top number of votes will fill the 2 year terms first.
- Motion that the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse Donna Johnston $X for the deposit to secure the AGM venue
- Moved by Donna Seconded by Jason
- Estimated cost of AGM to be $X based on 75 members in attendance.
- AGM door prizes. Cineplex gift certificates purchased in 2019 to be used in addition to gift certificates for the MLCC.
- Motion that the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse Donna Johnston up to $X for the purchase of 10 gift certificates to be used as door prizes at the WSMB AGM. Moved by Chris Seconded by Dave
- Discussion of AGM Transportation Policy
7. Old Business
8. Round Table
- Jason thanked Cory for updating the website
- Mo suggested asking the membership at the AGM what membership engagement activities they would be interested in.
- Kevin indicated that he is working on forming an SP Subgroup at DFO in Winnipeg
- Cory purchased plates and garbage bags for WSMB.
- Motion: That the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch reimburse Cory Graham $X for the purchase of garbage bags and plates for use by WSMB
- Moved by Cory Seconded by Kevin
- MAGE in contract negotiations
- Update of ongoing Bill 28 court case
9. Next meeting dates
- February 27, 2020.
10. Standing Motion to Pay $X for meal
11. Adjournment. Motion to adjourn.
Kevin seconded by Pramesh
Meeting adjourned at 19:17