BC/Yukon - 75th - Vancouver Branch Report
It is a pleasure to provide this report on our Branch’s activities for 2018-19. It has been an exciting year that included the following:
Branch Executive meetings:
November 20 2018
Sept 27 2018
June 1 2018 lunch (including the delegates for the June 2018 BC Yukon Regional Council)
May 23 2018
April 10 2018
February 28 2018
- Information Sessions about the Pension Plan & Retirement and disability benefits held in May 2018 and in Nov 2018 both at lunch time and after work. These information sessions were very popular and well attended by members of our branch;
- A May day 2018 march in Vancouver attended by some of our branch members; Our branch is hoping to encourage even greater participation in this year’s (2019) May day event.
- The Labour Day event at the PNE in Sept 2018 was a good networking event for our branch members. Our Branch Executive will be planning something similar this year for Labour Day;
- The Lunch and learn with one of our PIPSC VP’s Steve Hindle and our BC Yukon Regional Director, Rob MacDonald), were informative and interesting, and led to thought provoking questions by our branch members.
- Delegates from our Branch participated in the BC Yukon Regional council held in June 2018; and in the PIPSC National AGM in Nov 2018.
- The Branch AGM in December 3 2018 was well attended by over 75 members, including retired PIPSC members. Two new, and young professional, members were acclaimed to our Branch Executive, Fiona Wong and Alex Bevan.
Events for 2019-2020:
This year we are in the process of planning a movie night and lunch & learns plus information sessions on collective bargaining and scientific Integrity (new to Collective Agreements) and on other topics of interest to our branch members.
We hope that one of the information sessions to be held this year, will be about the wellness plan (intended to replace the existing sick leave plan). The replacement plan is being negotiated by the Bargaining Agents and Treasury Board. It is important for our members to be well informed about the proposed plan, the process to implement it, and most importantly to hear about their questions or concerns.
We are in the process of planning for this year’s branch AGM (Fall 2019) and also a social event.
Our branch is excited and looking forward to the additional of new RCMP PIPSC members.
We continue to actively encourage our members to become more involved with PIPSC, by joining a constituent body and becoming a Steward.
I wish to thank: my Executive for all of their hard work and time volunteered planning and hosting Branch events; our BC Regional Office for all of its support, including arranging for translation and posting of minutes and notices of events sponsored by our branch; and Rob MacDonald, our BC Yukon Regional Director.
Vancouver Branch President