DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING:
DATE: Sep 6/2018
LOCATION: CHABA THAI RESTAURANT
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:40 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice-President, Mounah Zrein – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Mike MacIsaac, Don Eldershaw, Colin Davis, Catherine Courtney and Kevin Jack – Members at Large.
- CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
- MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Don moved to accept the agenda and Kevin seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
- REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Jun 21st Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
- MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Colin moved to accept the minutes and Jenn seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
- REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Jun 21st meeting)
Nothing new on Hop Skip and Jump social event.
Action: Jenn to revisit idea and extend invite to Halifax branch and RMG members.
STEM EVENTS - Mounah reported that the NR sub-group is willing to contribute $XXX.00 to the STEM event. Money to be transferred to our account.
- Everett reported that the RE group will also be contributing $XXX to the STEM event. As well, Denton Froese (DRDC) would also like to be involved at the events.
Action: Everett to send out ODM brief to members.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE
Mounah passed out a sheet detailing the revenues and expected expenses. During an extended discussion on the numbers, he commented that we have received our yearly allotment and we expect to have a $XX.00 balance on hand 31 Dec 2018.
Everett discussed the recent Glenn Maxwell email where he requested Everett to be the PIPSC Rep on a conference call on the policy for cannabis use by military members. The civilian policy has not yet been released, but is expected to closely resemble the military policy. Some points:
- Similar to alcohol policy.
- supervisors will be trained.
- policy will be reviewed every year.
- no random testing, but if suspected of being under the influence, person will be sent to Stad to be checked out.
- there will be a CSPS webcast on the legalization of cannabis and the impact on the workplace.
Everett also mentioned that Alex Greenough will be taking over from Heather at the BIS LMRC.
- SOCIAL EVENTS
Don mentioned that he will send out an expression of interest email to members about holding a skating party at a private rink in the Oct/Nov timeframe. Halifax branch and RMG would share costs and we would provide donuts/hot chocolate.
Action: Don to send out email to members to determine interest.
- BRANCH AGM PREPS
Executive discussed the upcoming AGM and whether to hold it at Tribute Tower or at the Chaba Thai restaurant. Based on expected costs, it was decided to hold it at Chaba Thai on Demone St. in Halifax.
Action: Everett to contact potential guest speakers and coordinate with Halifax branch.
Action: Mounah to contact restaurant manager to inquire about possibility of a special menu for the AGM, meeting aids (i.e. microphones, laptop, etc.) and parking.
Action: Don to send out email to members, including executive positions up for election.
- Round Table
Both Colin and Catherine mentioned that they will not be reoffering for MAL's at the AGM. Everett thanked them for their efforts while on the executive.
Don reminded everyone of the upcoming PIPSC elections.
Mike inquired about the reason for having our AGM with the Halifax branch.
Mounah thanked Kevin for stepping up for civilians at the campus LMRC.
The meeting adjourned at 6:20 PM.
Next meeting: Oct (exact date and location TBD, but before AGM in order to review AGM resolutions).
|Jenn||To send email to executive with details of Hop Skip Jump social activity.||Next Meeting|
|Everett||To send out ODM brief to members.||ASAP|
|Don||To send out email to members to determine interest in skating party in Oct/Nov.||ASAP|
|Everett||Everett to contact potential guest speakers and coordinate with Halifax branch.||ASAP|
|Mounah||Mounah to contact restaurant manager to inquire about possibility of a special menu for the AGM, meeting aids (i.e. microphones, laptop, etc.) and parking.||ASAP|
|Don||Don to send out email to members, including executive positions up for election.||ASAP|