DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING Oct 24/2019
Tribute tower Halifax n.s.
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:40 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice-President, Kevin Jack – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Don Eldershaw, Mounah Zrein, Joe Rossiter, Joe Williams, Eric Thornhill and Christine Dugal – Members at Large.
- CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
- MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Joe moved to accept the agenda and Mounah seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
- REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Sep 12th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. Christine had sent an email with further amplification on the Shakespeare by the Sea event held this summer. Everyone agreed to the new additions to the minutes.
- MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the amended minutes. Joe moved to accept the minutes and Christine seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Sep 12th meeting)
Kevin gave an update on both the DND appreciation night and STEM event.
As for planning a members participation night together with the DND
appreciation night, he thought that it would be difficult to organize it to produce the
inclusive effect (i.e. people sitting together at the hockey game). Now will look at
an event in Feb.
As for planning a STEM event, he has had no luck getting a hold of anyone. He is
thinking of approaching the MATH league again. This time maybe we will provide
pizza for everyone rather than prizes just for the two top teams.
Action: Executive to discuss further at next meeting.
Don received no interest in a Hatfield Farm event. A few of us mentioned we did
not receive an email from Don about interest in events, he mentioned issue with
his email. Christine did not receive anything, but did get his latest email this week
about interest in the events, including Hatfield Farms, etc.
Everett mentioned that there has not been a Marlant LMRC to be able to
raise issue of the Public Service Employment Survey allowing you to voice your
Action: Everett to raise issue at next Marlant LMRC.
Executive decided against inviting/including spouses to end of calendar year
Action: Mounah to look into a place for our exec to have a nice dinner,
Shoe Shop, to send something out this week.
- ACCESSIBILITY TO BRANCH EVENTS
With the recent last minute visit by a PIPSC VP, it is apparent that we
have to ensure that any location selected for a branch event has to be accessible.
7. FINANCIAL UPDATE
Kevin passed out an updated 2019 budget and gave a short summary of the
changes from the budget presented at the last executive meeting. Right now we
are in good shape. $XXX has already been given for our share of the seasonal
social and $XXX contribution for door prizes is still outstanding. There was a
discussion on having a member engagement event prior to Dec 31 to better utilize
Action: Don to send out email to members to gauge interest in a beer and appetizer
type of event during the first two weeks of Dec.
Action: Christine to pick up and lay Remembrance Day Wreath, 24"; ribbon to
say "PIPSC DND Branch.
Everett mentioned that Joe Williams has taken the steward training and there is a
national consultation meeting at the end of November.
9. SOCIAL EVENTS
9A. STEWARDS COUNCIL REPORT
Jenn, Everett and Christine summarized the recent steward’s council. A definite
theme this year was the legalization of cannabis. General consensus is that there
are still a lot of unknowns. If any action is taken against members, stewards should
not hesitate to ask for assistance from PIPSC local officials.
10. AGM RESOLUTION REVIEW
Executive then discussed the 25 By-Law Amendments and 16 Policy
non-budgetary resolutions. Executive came to agreement on either supporting,
opposing or needing more information on each resolution. There was not enough
time to discuss the nine Financial resolutions. Everett to report back at next
11. ROUND TABLE
Christine motioned to adjourn the meeting and it was seconded by Kevin.
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.
Next meeting: Dec 5th in Dartmouth (Mic Mac Tavern).
Action: Christine to book back room for 4:30, start time of 5:00.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Oct 24 /19
To discuss both member engagement and STEM events.
To raise issue of Public Service Employment Survey at either the next Marlant LMRC.
To send out email to members to gauge interest in a beer and appetizer type of event during the first two weeks of Dec.
To pick up and lay Remembrance Day Wreath, 24"; ribbon to say "PIPSC DND Branch.
To look into a place for our exec to have a nice dinner, Shoe Shop, to send something out this week.
To book MicMac Tavern back room for Dec 5th 4:30, start time of 5:00.