DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING: Dec 6/2018 HAMACHI KITA RESTAURANT
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:35 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice- President, Kevin Jack – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Don Eldershaw, Mike MacIsaac and Mounah Zrein, Joe Rossiter and George Turner – Members at Large
1. CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. He asked everyone to introduce themselves. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
2. MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Kevin moved to accept the agenda and George seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
3. REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Oct 25 th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
4. MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Don moved to accept the minutes and George seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Oct 25th meeting)
Everett confirmed that he sent ODM brief to members.
Action: Item closed. Nothing new on Hop Skip and Jump social event.
Action: Jenn to revisit idea in New Year.
6. FINANCIAL UPDATE
Kevin gave a short summary of branch expenses and reimbursements. We should have around $XXX.00 at the end of this year.
Everett mentioned an issue at Willow Park where some of the parking spots are being designated as reserved, even though there is no paid parking. May be a case of changes being instituted before the official policy change.
Jenn went to the base commanders LMRC and Phoenix was the big topic. Her take is the military is “prematurely convinced” that Phoenix issues are being resolved and things are much better now. This lead to a lengthy discussion on members bad experiences with Phoenix.
8. SOCIAL EVENTS
Don mentioned that they have not found a location for holding a skating party at a private rink. He added that they may seek funding through the Better Together initiative.
9. STEM EVENT UPDATE
Kevin gave a short brief on the recent event he attended. It was held on Nov 10th at St. Mary's University. He presented on behalf of PIPSC and gave out Better Together lanyards and gift cards to the members of the 2nd and 3rd place teams. He circulated some pictures of the event and the executive agreed that he should put together a brief in the New year that could be placed on the PIPSC website. He ended by stating that there are two more events in the New Year and he felt it was a great success. Next year looking forward to a similar initiative in Health services.
10. AGM RESOLUTIONS REVIEW
Everett spent considerable time going over most of the resolutions, spending the majority of time focusing on some of the financial resolutions. The resolutions that were discussed in detail were concerning PIPSC reaching out to professionals outside of the federal government (referred to advisory council), changing the number of executive meetings (increased back to six) and increasing the cap (to 560) on delegates to the national AGM. He concluded by saying that not all resolutions were debated and they will be covered next year.
11. PREPS for Branch AGM in 2019
Everett commented that unfortunately the efforts to combine AGM's with the Halifax branch did not work. We will go back to a separate AGM for our branch in May 2019. He proposed holding it on Thursday May 16, prior to the ARC on May 24-25 in St. John's. To be discussed further at next executive meeting in February.
Action: Executive to come up with ideas for a location.
Note: Position of Treasurer will be up for election, but Members at Large will be carried over to the following years AGM.
12. Round Table
George asked a general question about where was the appropriate venue/avenue to determine the state of the branch in terms of members happiness/number of grievances etc. Executive discussed issue for a while as answer was not clear cut, as it is multi layered (i.e. discussion at executive meetings, stewards council, regional office, LMRC's).
Action: Everett to look into issue and report back at next meeting.
Jenn mentioned that the base commander is holding informal coffee break meetings in between LMRC's to go over some topics he would like to promote. Some topics discussed was holding a second job fair in the Mar/Apr timeframe, encouraging more summer student/minority hires and encouraging activities such as base wide walks. The meeting adjourned at 6:35 PM.
Next meeting: Feb 7, location TBD, maybe in Dartmouth.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Dec 6 /18
To follow up with Hop Skip Jump social activity in the New Year.
To come up with ideas for a location branch AGM.
Everett to determine best avenue for gathering data on member contentment.