DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING: Apr 12/2018
BROWN HOUND PUB – AGRICOLA ST.
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 5:03 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice-President, Mounah Zrein – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Don Eldershaw, and Kevin Jack – Members at Large.
1. CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
2. MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Kevin moved to accept the agenda and Don seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
3. REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Feb 15th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
4. MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Mounah moved to accept the minutes and Don seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Feb 15th meeting)
Don emailed Jenn about members response to holding a Hop Skip and Jump social event. Interest (15-20 including children) wasn't too bad considering no dates were specified.
Action: Revisit idea in early fall and extend invite to Halifax branch and RMG members.
STEM EVENTS - Mounah stated that we could possibly request lunch and learn funding. As well, he also discussed with NR sub-group and they would be interested in contributing. Everett discussed whether RE sub-group would be interested in sharing the costs. Action: Mounah to contact NR subgroup. Everett to contact RE subgroup.
We missed the cutoff for arranging the pension briefing session discussed at the last meeting.
Action: Everett to follow up with asking Mess Manager if we can bring in an outside caterer for the November AGM.
6. FINANCIAL UPDATE
Mounah stated that things have been quiet. We currently have around $XXX.00 in our account. We should get around $XXX back for last meeting, but $XXX.00 going to Halifax labour council. We are awaiting our allotment and should have an idea by next meeting or sooner.
Everett then mentioned a meeting with a member of the Barrista union group currently embroiled in labour strife since new owners have taken over coffee shops. Discussion ensued on making a contribution in support. Question of whether we are allowed and how much?
Action: Mounah to ask PIPSC if we are allowed to give contribution to Service Employees International Union Local 2.
Everett mentioned that Colin had sent an email questioning the proposed footprint of the new Cogswell St. interchange and how it looked like some of the south end of the dockyard parking lot would be appropriated. Everett discussed with Base Cdr. who said that picture was somewhat misleading and it is possible that with demolition of some derelict buildings, we may end having more parking spots.
Everett mentioned that it is quiet other than groups gearing up for collective bargaining, talk of a replacement for the Phoenix system and local comp advisors for Phoenix support are coming.
8. SOCIAL EVENTS
Don mentioned the plan to book an arena for skating in the fall with the Halifax branch and RMG to reduce the overall costs. Cost would be $XXX-XXX an hour at most.
9. PENSION INFORMATION SESSION – May 10th 1-4 PM
Everett spent a few minutes discussing the upcoming information session. It will be presented by PIPSC, location is still to be determined, possibly Tribute Tower. Hashem Abou-Shahla is arranging this session. PIPSC will not covering member’s time off to attend an afternoon session;. Since the Halifax Branch has members from multiple Departments, they could not be sure all Departments would let employees go to the event. He is now seeing if an evening session is possible. Everett will keep us posted’
10. ARC in Moncton May 25-26
Everett confirmed that Mike, Mounah, Jenn, Kevin and himself will be going to the upcoming ARC. Alternate is Paul.
11. Round Table Don asked if we knew of any members retiring soon. He is hearing stories from recent retirees of problems with severance pay; either no pay or delays in getting it, even though it is shown on their T4 slips.
Jenn mentioned that she is going to Ottawa for sub group meetings on upcoming collective bargaining. She is also hoping to get an invite to the SH group AGM. The meeting adjourned at 6:03 PM.
Next meeting: June 14th and location TBD.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Apr 12th /18
Revisit Hop Skip Jump social activity in early fall and extend invite to Halifax branch and RMG members.
Before Sep Meeting Mounah
To contact NR subgroup & confirm contribution and amount.
To contact RE subgroup& confirm contribution and amount. Everett
To ask Tribute Tower Mess Manager if we can bring in an outside caterer for the November AGM.
Next meeting Mounah
To ask PIPSC if it is allowed to give $$$ to Service Employees International Union Local 2.