DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING Apr 10/2019
HOPYARD HALIFAX N.S.
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:37 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice- President, Kevin Jack – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Don Eldershaw, Mike MacIsaac Mounah Zrein, Joe Rossiter, Eric Thornhill and George Turner – Members at Large
CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Eric moved to accept the agenda and Joe seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Feb 7 th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Jenn moved to accept the minutes and Kevin seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Feb 7th meeting)
Hop Skip and Jump social event will be delayed to the fall. Mounah verified that we could get Better Together support ($XX.XX per child). Everett to mention it to the Halifax branch to see if they would like to share the event. Event to be
brought up again after the summer break.
Action: Everett to discuss sharing event with Halifax branch.
Branch AGM May 16 will be held at Cha Baa Thai in Halifax. We need to verify that we have the room and follow-up the week of the AGM to confirm reservation. Guest speaker will be Gary Corbett and Max Way will also be invited.
Action: Joe to confirm availability of restaurant and follow-up week of AGM.
Action: Joe to purchase door prizes.
Action: Paul to update PIPSC website information.
Everett mentioned that there was a steward meeting a few months back and he will set up another in a few weeks to further discuss the member contentment question brought up at our last meeting.
Everett mentioned that Dave Rutherford attended a parking policy meeting and there are changes coming to the policy. There will be changes to enforcement and a new fair market value study.
Action: Everett to forward parking policy email to executive.
Everett stated that the issue of CS's going to sea on trials will be included in this round of negotiations.
Kevin updated the status of LMRC at Campus Atlantic. Meeting was held on Mar 26th and many topics were covered and he learned a lot and got a positive vibe. They included:
- LMRC meeting will be held every 3rd month, last Tuesday of the month.
- discussed situation on the west coast and classification of civilians.
- discussed training plan for the military.
- two new CS's were hired but not exactly sure where. This led to a long
discussion on Rand's.
-Public Service Week coffee and donuts.
-George asked about the status of Dalhousie workers and who represents them.
6. FINANCIAL UPDATE
Kevin passed out an updated 2019 budget and gave a short summary of the changes from the budget presented at the last executive meeting. Changes include receiving an Oct 2018 meeting reimbursement, removing expenditure for AGM observer, increasing social event, AGM and Sundry planned expenses. We will continue the practice of presenting a gift card to retiring members. We will look at taking new members out for coffee to describe the benefits of union participation.
Jenn will provide an update on the Employee Wellness Support Program (EWSP) at our next branch meeting.
A general question was asked about collective agreement negotiations (i.e. when can we expect to have signed contracts). This lead to a further discussion about today's teleconference which touched on: rules for over payments being included in collective agreements, replacement of Phoenix and parental leave.
Don mentioned that there is another push from the AFS group to restrict RMG and non-stewards from holding positions on executives. Executive to consider how to counter this argument by highlighting contributions from RMG members and how to best present this as a rebuttal at the ARC in May.
8. SOCIAL EVENTS
Don is to look into the costs for the Shakespeare by the Sea for this summer. Email was sent to executive with further details on Apr 11.
9. AGM OBSERVER
Consensus is to discontinue local funding for the branch observer.
10. PIPSC OPEN OFFICE DISCUSSION
Executive discussed in depth the federal government's initiative to convert traditional office locations into open office concepts. Tens of thousands of PIPSC members across Canada are, or soon will be, adversely affected by GC Workplace. General consensus was the executive was against the initiative,
11. Round Table
No new issues discussed.
The meeting adjourned at 6:35 PM.
Next meeting: Date and location TBD.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Apr 10 /19
Hop Skip Jump
Everett to discuss sharing event with Halifax branch. Prior to Fall Event
Branch AGM Preps
Joe to confirm availability of restaurant and followup week of AGM. Next meeting.
Joe to purchase door prizes. Next meeting.
Paul to update PIPSC website information. Next meeting.
Everett to fwd new parking policy email. ASAP