IT OTTAWA WEST SUBGROUP
Regular Executive Meeting February 2, 2023 18:00
Hard Stones Grill, 1 Roydon Place, Nepean
Daniel Shen (President), Beverley Miranda (Vice-President), Blair Mason (Treasurer), Steve Anderson (Secretary), Lisa Chau (Communications Officer), Zhidan Guan (Member at Large)
Junaid Fazal (Member at Large), Charles Dugas (Member at Large), Sylvia Suska (Member at Large)
The President of the IT Ottawa West Subgroup, Daniel Shen, called the meeting to order at 6:38 PM.
AGENDA The draft agenda was presented.
MOTION M/S Daniel, Zhidan. To adopt the amended agenda. Carried.
PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES The draft minutes of the January 5, 2023 meeting were presented.
MOTION M/S Steve/Lisa. To adopt the meeting minutes as presented. Carried.
- Daniel reported that he was unable to attend a Bargaining Report meeting as it was occurring at the same time as the current ITOWSG meeting.
- Daniel indicated that Sylvia Suska has resigned from the ITOWSG Executive.
- Blair reported a ITOWSG balance of $6,738.96. The amount will need to cover our upcoming springtime ITOWSG AGM. We will likely receive an allocation from PIPSC this year of approximately $23,000.
ITOWSG 2022 AGM FINANCIAL CORRECTIONS
- The email that was circulated to the ITOWSG members advising them of this correction elicited 2 responses; both were comments that they didn’t understand what this was for. This item is now completed.
FINANCIAL LAUNCHPAD TRIAL/MINI-EVENT
- Lisa mentioned that the feedback received back from this free trial event was mostly positive. All Executives present agreed that the presenter was well spoken and that the presentation per se was well done. It was difficult to judge whether it would be worth spending money on a full presentation to the members, as the dollar figure was not known, and we will need to manage our money in anticipation of upcoming AGM costs. Beverley mentioned that the CPA offers a similar presentation for free. No follow up at this time.
COMMUNICATION AND IT EQUIPMENT POLICY CHANGES BY PIPSC
- Blair explained that as of January 1 2023 ITOWSG Executives wishing to claim partial personal cellphone charges should submit them directly to PIPSC, which will reimburse up to $85 per month. Internet charges should also be sent directly to PIPSC, which will reimburse the lesser of 50% or $75 per month.
ITOWSG 2022 DONATIONS
- Donations have now been disbursed and cashed as previously voted on. $2000 to the PIPSC Legacy Fund, $1000 to the Algonquin College Student Food Cupboard, $1000 to the Kanata Food Bank, $100 to the Black Canadian Scholarship Fund (the maximum allowed / in memory of Brandon Wilson).
SHARED DRIVE FILE/FOLDER FORMATS
ITOWSG EXECUTIVE TRAINING
- ACTION ITEM Daniel is to follow up on holding an Executive training virtual session during working hours. The consensus of the group was that Sean O’Reilly would be a good facilitator for the course.
POWER BANK PURCHASE
- The 101 power banks have been received and are being stored by Blair in anticipation of handing them out at the ITOWSG AGM this Spring. The remaining units have not been given out to Executive members and will generally be used for special event door prizes or as gifts to event guest speakers. This item is now completed.
- Approximately 144 toques have been received (in three colours) and are being stored by Daniel at the PIPSC office. This item is now completed.
ITOWSG EXECUTIVE SHIRTS
- ACTION ITEM Lisa will source out possible Executive shirt options with Epic Promotions.
ITOWSG 2023 AGM
- The consensus was that the ITOWSG 2023 AGM should be held in late April or the beginning of May. Approximately 60 participants. Translation services are paid for by PIPSC. Guest speaker(s) to be determined. It was agreed to vote secretarially on a venue and date, since we don’t want to wait until the next ITOWSG meeting to do this. Our last AGM was held at the Holiday Inn in Kanata, but it was agreed that it was too expensive for us this year.
- ACTION ITEM Beverley is to obtain AGM quotes from Brookstreet, Kanata Legion, Kanata Masonic Lodge.
- ACTION ITEM Lisa is to obtain AGM quotes from St. Elias, the Helenic Centre and San Marco.
ITOWSG RETURN TO THE WORKPLACE EVENT
- Steve explained that he has not heard back from PIPSC with any guidance about holding such an event. However, it was noted that shortly after sending that email PIPSC organized an info session for the NCR stewards and all Consultation Presidents. Concerns were raised that this session was for a “select few” and not for the members in general. It was noted that the PSAC and CRA are allowed to strike this round of negotiations, but that the IT Group cannot.
- ACTION ITEM Steve is to write an email to the ITOWSG members directing them to the PIPSC web page where it clearly states steps that should be followed before returning to the workplace.
2023 SUBGROUP PRESIDENT’S MEETING
- Daniel will be going to this meeting in Victoria, B.C. on behalf of the ITOWSG.
WRISTBANDS FROM NINO
Nino Mangione has reached out to Steve and asked to return a box of old CS wristbands to the ITOWSG.
- ACTION ITEM Steve is to contact Nino back and suggest he return the old CS wristbands to the PIPSC office.
TRANSFER OF ITOWSG MEMBERS BACK TO STATCAN
Tony Goddard has reached out to Daniel to inform him of a proposed change that would see a number of ITOWSG members transferred to the STATCAN Subgroup.
- ACTION ITEM Daniel is to get an updated ITOWSG membership list, and send an email to determine the financial impact of Tony’s proposal.
- It was suggested that the ITOWSG obtain teleconferencing equipment to facilitate the use of hybrid meetings. It was thought that such equipment could be borrowed from PIPSC for each meeting as it is needed. Since the next ITOWSG meeting will be virtual, it would likely be for the following meeting in April.
- ACTION ITEM Daniel is to borrow the PIPSC teleconferencing equipment for our next in-person meeting.
FINALIZING THE ITOWSG LOGO
- The composition of the ITOWSG logo became a discussion point during our recent promotional items order. It was considered impractical and redundant to include all the ITOWSG letters on small items with limited space.
MOTION M/S Lisa, Beverley. That henceforth the ITOWSG logo only include the letters ITOW (and not ITOWSG) on all promotional items – with the bilingual equivalent. All other use of the logo and abbreviation shall stay the same. Carried.
- There were no roundtable items for discussion
- The next meeting will occur virtually on March 2 2023 at 6:00 PM.
MOTION M/S Beverley, Blair. Adjournment. Carried. 8:45 PM
- Minutes recorded by Steve Anderson, ITOWSG Secretary –
ACTION ITEM SUMMARY
- Beverley to follow up on the organization of our Shared Drive.
- Beverley is to obtain AGM quotes from Brookstreet, Kanata Legion, Kanata Masonic Lodge.
- Daniel is to follow up on holding an executive training virtual session during working hours. The consensus of the group was that Sean O’Reilly would be a good facilitator for the course.
- Daniel is to get an updated ITOWSG membership list, and send an email to determine the financial impact of Tony’s proposal.
- Daniel is to borrow the PIPSC teleconferencing equipment for our next in-person meeting.
- Lisa will source out possible Executive shirt options with Epic Promotions.
- Lisa is to obtain AGM quotes from St. Elias, the Helenic Centre and San Marco.
- Steve is to write an email to the ITOWSG members directing them to the PIPSC web page where it clearly states steps that should be followed before returning to the workplace.
- Steve is to contact Nino back and suggest he return the old CS wristbands to the PIPSC office.