CS Executive Meeting
08 April 2022, 09h00 to 17h00 (Eastern time)
Delta Downtown Ottawa (Hybrid)
Cvent ID: PHNCBQ5DQLY
In-Person: Stan Buday, Pierre Touchette, Tony Goddard, Yvonne Snaddon, Steven Fréchette, Gordon Bulmer, Rob Scott
Virtual: Deb Butler, Lucille Shears, Karim Chaggani
Regrets: Patricia Williams
Staff (in-person): Jean-Paul Leduc – Negotiator, Nicholas Daignault – Acting Negotiator, Josianne Drouin – Researcher
- Welcome: Stan called the meeting to Order at 09h14.
- Adoption of Agenda:
Moved: Tony Goddard Seconded: Rob Scott
THAT the Agenda be adopted as amended
- Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting(s):
Moved: Tony Goddard Seconded: Gordon Bulmer
THAT the minutes of 02 February 2022 be approved as presented.
- Business Arising from the minutes/Action Items:
- Change all instances of Group publications, including all web pages and social media, to reflect the new IT Group name. Also, coordinate the change of the Group name with PIPSC Staff for all PIPSC documentation and web pages. (Tony) - Ongoing
- Compose and publish a new CS Flash announcing the change of Group name to the membership. Include that a new logo will be developed and swag, etc. with the current logo will be gradually phased out. (Tony) - Complete
- Add “Discussion on composition of the CS Group Bargaining Team” to a future Executive meeting. (Tony) - Added to April agenda under New Business – consensus was to move this agenda item to the next Strategic Planning Meeting
- Update the firstname.lastname@example.org distribution list to include all non-bargaining CS Executive members. (Tony & JP) - Complete
- Reach out to the SBC for presentations on pay proposals and the SBC ToR. (Stan) - Complete
- Send a Doodle poll to all executives to set a meeting date to finalize the CS Group Strategic Plan. (Stan) - Complete - part of the April 29th meeting.
- Set up a meeting(s) with Communications to identify potential issues and solutions for the communication processes with our membership. (Stan) – Stan to contact PIPSC Communications and set up a meeting with himself and Tony.
- Compile a list of visibility items currently available and send the list to the Executive. (Pierre) - Ongoing
- Send a Doodle poll to all non-bargaining NOC members to select a meeting time during the week we are bargaining. (Stan) - Complete
- Send a Doodle poll to all NOC members to select a date for a full NOC meeting the week of February 14th. (
StanGordon) NOC Steering Meeting March 15th.
- Establish a committee of 2 or 3 people (including Gordon) to develop a process to create a new logo for the IT Group. (Pierre) – Complete, see Pierre’s report following.
- Provide the new IT Group URLs to the Group Executive for their information. (Tony) - Complete
- Send a Doodle poll to all Executive members to select a meeting date & time in March. (Stan) Stan found that there was no appetite for another meeting in March – business has been moved to our April 29th meeting.
Indicates item is incomplete or forwarded to future meeting.
- Standing Items:
- Bargaining Update (Rob Scott & JP Leduc)
- Rob shared a draft of IT Bytes 4 with the Executive.
- The Treasury Board has indicated that they are organizing a committee (see CA Appendix I) but are not including an option for IT Group input.
- We held a virtual meeting of our Bargaining Team with VP Eva Henshaw to discuss the Group and Institute approach to Contracting Out strategies and to initiate coordination of this file with the national levels of PIPSC and other Groups.
- JP indicated that he expects the upcoming bargaining dates in May and June will be face-to-face if at all possible.
- Stan reported that TB has agreed to share (where possible) their costing information on our proposals. We will also request that PIPSC estimate the cost of the same items to allow us to do a comparison.
- Karim asked “how many of the TB team attended in person and how many were virtual?” Initially, the negotiator and their assistant were planning to attend face-to-face but, due to a family member contracting Covid, all of the TB team attended the session via Zoom.
- Strategic Planning Update (Stan)
The team leads (Rob, Yvonne & Stan) will complete their presentations at the April 29th meeting and compile a simple PowerPoint presentation for the SGP meeting on April 30th. Stan will lead the exercise and provide the overview at the SGP meeting then each team will have 15-20 minutes to present their topics. Our top priority is member engagement. All documents can be found on the Group drive under Strategic Planning.
- Group Elections (Yvonne)
All Bios have been posted on the PIPSC website; 2 for President and 18 for Member-at-Large (one member has withdrawn – Ruddy Hallé). All candidates have been validated and the ballots will be sent out in May. Pierre, Steven and Yvonne will meet in Montreal on the Thursday before the Group AGM to review the results and notify candidates. The original notice for the election was a standard Communications template and did not properly describe the commitment needed for an executive member of the IT Group. There will be a post mortem with Communications to attempt to make the next election process smoother.
- Visibility Items (Pierre)
Pierre has picked up all visibility items from the PIPSC Office and relocated them to his storage area at home. He handed out various items to the executive members present, including air pods and travel cups. Gordon raised the point of creating New Member Kits and advised that Red Planet has stated that they can mail the kits directly to members when we provide the address. Stan questioned whether lanyards would be a wise choice since they are inexpensive and would be welcomed by both new and older members.
- IT Group Logo (Pierre)
Tony provided a link to the logos already prepared by Bruno Lacelle:
The process to select a final version of the logo by the end of the Group AGM was discussed and it was agreed to present this process to the Subgroup Presidents on April 30th. There was also discussion around the acronym for the Group, comparing “IT-TI” vs. “TI-IT”.
MOVED: Gordon Bulmer SECONDED: Rob Scott
THAT the logo contains “IT-TI” no matter who designs it.
Much discussion was held around the logo designs presented and it was explained that the PIPSC logo must be a prominent feature, as indicated in the PIPSC Bylaws. We can ask Bruno L. to rework any (or all) of the logos presented and try different fonts, resize the PIPSC logo, etc.
ACTION ITEM (Pierre): Provide Bruno L. with a set of guidelines to re-work the submitted logos, including:
- Use upper case font
- Smaller PIPSC logo
- Various fonts
- 2 Graphic colours
Once we have the selection narrowed down, we can send it to the membership in the form of a simple poll: three choices – choose one. No other input will be required. A summary of the potential process followed.
- Subgroup Presidents’ Meeting (Lucille)
Lucille stepped through the draft agenda for the Executive. President Jennifer Carr has been invited and we are waiting for a formal confirmation. The agenda was revised as needed.
ACTION ITEM (JP): JP will arrange for the SGP meeting agenda to be properly translated.
LUNCH BREAK 12h04 to 13h05
The question was raised whether, due to Covid, we should shut down the hospitality suite. It was suggested that we could require masks to be worn, but that would likely be difficult to enforce. We will play it by ear and cancel the hospitality if warranted.
ACTION ITEM (Lucille): Make sure the Presidents attending are all aware that they will need room in their luggage for visibility items.
ACTION ITEM (Lucille): Verify with Natalie Tessier that a hybrid meeting format is an option. (Any virtual attendees can have the visibility items mailed to them.)
- Group AGM (Gordon)
The budget has been provided to PIPSC Finance and Natalie T. has everything in hand. The invitation for June 4th will be sent soon. Also confirmed an Executive meeting for June 3rd and Elections Committee meeting on June 2nd.
- New Business:
- Composition of the CS Group Bargaining Team
Since this is dealing with the composition of the next Bargaining Team, it was the consensus that we table this item to the next Strategic Bargaining Retreat.
- CS to IT Subgroup Name Changes (Tony)
- CS Group Executive pass motion to change name (completed 02 Feb 2022)
- Ratify name change at the CS Group AGM (June 4th).
- Modify Group Bylaws and submit to BLPC (this can be completed in advance of the AGM).
- Advise BLPC that change must be applied to ALL Subgroup Bylaws (this will be done administratively).
- Submit modified Group Bylaws to the PIPSC Board of Directors for approval (rubber stamp) BLPC will notify BoD of changes to all Subgroup Bylaws.
- PIPSC will translate and repost the Group BL and all subgroup BL documents on the PIPSC website.
This process has been validated by Isabelle Roy, PIPSC General Council and will ensure that all Bylaws are modified consistently and at the same time so we will not have to wait for each subgroup to approve the name change at their AGM.
ACTION ITEM (Tony): Submit Group Bylaw changes for the CS – IT name change to BLPC/BoD and coordinate the revision to all Subgroup Bylaws.
- Young Professionals Committee (Yvonne) (see ToR in Group Drive):
- Involves a new portfolio for the Executive Committee
- Budget of $29K (see document).
- Evaluation criteria will include asking them to self-identify: diversity groups, gender identity, etc. Gordon has volunteered to assist when/where he can. Asked how we consider disability access, especially visual and audio impairments.
- Yvonne asked everyone to send comments/questions to her via email.
- Do not need to pass this at the AGM but would be a good idea to discuss at the SGP meeting and the AGM. The budget would need to be approved by the AGM … suggestion made to prepare a motion to approve the budget “in principle”.
- Motion to create a new Executive position at a future meeting.
ACTION ITEM (Yvonne): Request a 10-minute slot to make a presentation to the PIPSC EC.
Moved: Yvonne Snaddon Seconded: Gordon Bulmer
THAT the IT National Executive create a Young Professionals Committee (YPC) based on the Terms of Reference presented.
ACTION ITEM (All): Provide feedback on the YPC ToR to Yvonne NLT April 22, 2022.
- Discussion around Gift for our 2 Exec members who are now elected to the Board (Lucille)
Consensus was reached to purchase appropriate gift cards for our two (2) past executive members (Eva Henshaw & Stacy McLaren) who have won seats on the PIPSC BoD.
ACTION ITEM (Gordon & Tony): Update the New Member Pamphlet and arrange for distribution to new members.
- Executive Reports: report is on the Group Drive
Tony made a passionate plea to all Executive Committee members to please resume the practice of submitting written reports to the Group Drive for each Executive meeting. One purpose of these reports is to extract valuable information to share with our members via the Group webpages. Stan echoed his support for this practice.
- President (Stan) - verbal
- Vice-President (Pierre) – see above, no further report
- Treasurer (Deb) – report will follow
- Steering Committee/Secretary (Tony) – report is on the Group Drive
- Bargaining / Negotiations (Rob) - report is on the Group Drive
- NOC/ROC- Mobilization (Deb) – see above, no further report
- Communications (Tony) - report is on the Group Drive
- Subgroup Officer (Lucille) – report is on the Group Drive
- Steward Officer (Patricia)
- Membership Officer (Gordon) – see above, no further report
- Labour Relation & Consultation Officer (Yvonne) - report is on the Group Drive
- Contracting Out Officer (Yvonne) - no further report
- Classification (Karim) – nothing to report
- Other Business/Roundtable:
- Next Meeting(s):
- 29 April 2022 – Strategic Planning & Executive Meeting
- 30 April 2022 – Subgroup Presidents’ Meeting
- 3 June 2022 – Executive Meeting (Montreal)
- 4 June 2022 – Group AGM (Montreal)
Moved: Gordon Bulmer Seconded: Pierre Touchette
THAT we adjourn the meeting at 15h29.
Summary of Action Items
- Change all instances of Group publications, including all web pages and social media, to reflect the new IT Group name. Also, coordinate the change of the Group name with PIPSC Staff for all PIPSC documentation and web pages. (Tony)
- Add “Discussion on composition of the CS Group Bargaining Team” to a future Strategic Planning meeting. (Tony)
- Set up a meeting(s) with Communications to identify potential issues and solutions for the communication processes with our membership. (Stan)
- Compile a list of visibility items currently available and send the list to the Executive. (Pierre)
- Provide Bruno L. with a set of guidelines to re-work the submitted logos, including: (Pierre)
- Use upper case font
- Smaller PIPSC logo
- Various fonts
- 2 Graphic colours
- Arrange for the SGP meeting agenda to be properly translated. (JP)
- Make sure the Presidents attending are all aware that they will need room in their luggage for visibility items. (Lucille)
- Verify with Natalie Tessier that a hybrid meeting format is an option. (Any virtual attendees can have the visibility items mailed to them.) (Lucille)
- Submit Group Bylaw changes for the CS – IT name change to BLPC/BoD and coordinate the revision to all Subgroup Bylaws. (Tony)
- Request a 10-minute slot to make a presentation to the PIPSC EC. (Yvonne)
- Provide feedback on the YPC ToR to Yvonne NLT April 22, 2022. (ALL)
- Update the New Member Pamphlet and arrange for distribution to new members. (Gordon & Tony)