Period: June 1, 2017 – September 15, 2017
Pursuant to the board mandate letters, my focus over this last period has included:
- Chair, Executive Compensation Committee:
- Tasks from BOD approved 3-year Work Plan and BOD assigned tasks.
- Currently conducting a Pre-Triennial Review Process (Gap Analysis) and initiating activities for the Triennial Review of full-time elected officials.
- Board Liaison, Science Advisory Committee and Science:
- Tasks from BOD approved 3-Year Strategic Plan.
- Participated in a series of workshops/meetings/conference calls on developing a Science Integrity Policy model for consultation with science departments.
- Assist in the delivery of the key results area of “Model Organization” in areas of governance and strategy planning for the Institute:
- Undertaking a governance review for the Institute and supporting BOD initiatives.
- Completed a memorandum on the ‘Authority of the Executive Committee’ for the BOD.
- Provided a summary memorandum and recommendations from the IFEBP’s Foundation of Trust Management and 50th Annual Canadian Benefits Conference (jointly with Director Kim Skanes).
This was another successful period for the Institute in areas of bargaining, government relations and service delivery. Considerable effort continues to be undertaken by President Davaiu, and almost every area of the Institute, to work on this disaster called Phoenix or pay modernization. This will be a very long process. You will see an increased focus by the Institute on Contracting Out (which is a major reason we are seeing things like Phoenix and the stalling of email transformation). Our work in advocacy and government relations will be increasing over time.
Over this period in the Region, considerable work has gone into planning for Steward Council, scheduled for October 20 and 21, 2017 in Richmond. Steward Council will have an increased focus on steward engagement (Roger Haskett from Engagement Unlimited will be joining us again this year!), wellness (the start of a year of wellness for stewards) and knowledge (technical, attributes and characteristics) for our Stewards. See the Regional Directors Report for more information on the Region.
As always, let me know if you would like to assist in organizing any Better Together Initiatives or our upcoming Regional Events.
- Regional Executive Meetings / Events:
- Regional Executive Meeting – May 1
- Regional Meetings / Events / Conference Calls:
- Library and Archives Canada LMCC – May 1
- Vice-President Hindle Roundtable Meeting – May 2
- Branch President’s Meeting – May 2
- Regional Council – May 2 & 3
- Victoria Branch BBQ – May 8
- Vancouver Branch Steward Appreciation Event – May 13
- Library and Archives Canada LMCC – June 22
- Tourism Canada Lunch and Learn – July 10
- BCFNHA Executive Meetings – July 25 & 27
- BCFNHA JCC – August 2
- SP Sub Group Presidents’ Western Zone Meeting – August 19
- Board Meetings / National Events:
- Board of Directors Meeting – June 16 & 17
- PIPSC Group Life Insurance Trust Meeting – June 19
- Science Advisory Committee – June 23
- Executive Compensation Committee – June 28
- Science Integrity Policy Workshop – July 4
- Foundations of Trust Management Course – July 20, 21 & 22
- Regional Directors Meeting – July 28
- Science Integrity Policy Meeting – August 9
- Board of Directors Meeting / Training – August 10, 11 & 12
- Canadian Annual Employee Benefits Conference – August 20-23
- Women In Science Conference Calls – August 8 & September 12
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region