Regional Director’s Report –April 4, 2017 – Regional Executive Meeting
Period: February 16, 2017 – April 4, 2017
Pursuant to the board mandate letters, my focus over this last period has included:
- Chair, Executive Compensation Committee:
- Tasks from BOD approved 3-year Work Plan and BOD assigned tasks.
- The Committee has initiated the Triennial Review Process for full-time elected officials in advance of the 2018 election cycle.
- Board Liaison, Science Advisory Committee and Science:
- Tasks from BOD approved 3-Year Strategic Plan.
- The Committee is initiating a follow-up survey to the Bill Chill and Vanishing Science for 2017 as one of six activity areas.
- Assist in the delivery of the key results area of “Model Organization” in areas of governance and strategy planning for the Institute:
- Coordinating a governance review for the Institute building on past work of the Board.
- Prepared a proposed AGM resolution for Resolution B-13 (2015) that was approved by the BOD at its March Meeting. If approved at the 2017 AGM, this will extend funding for Retired Members to all Branches.
At the March Board meeting my proposed budget goals for the 2018 and 2019 were approved by the BOD. This sets specific goals for the organization to ensure the dues increase replenishes our reserves as promised at the 2016 AGM. As well it outlines a desire to further evaluate current funding and ensure new funding requests are comprehensively evaluated prior to approval. This reinforces sound budget discipline by the Board going forward in the budget planning process.
The Institute’s continued focus on bargaining has produced some very satisfying results with ratification votes (both participation and approval) with Treasury Board and separate employers. The Institute will continue to focus its efforts until all of the groups have completed bargaining. Phoenix continues to occupy significant attention of the organization as it works to advocate for impacted members. .
Efforts have focused on preparing for Regional Council and developing Better Together activities to promote further member and steward engagement in the Region. Let me know if you would like to assist in organizing any of these Better Together Initiatives.
2017 BC/Yukon Region Better Together Initiative
1. Better Together Engagement Workshop – ‘Better Engagement = Better Together’
Building on the success of the Engagement Course at the 2016 Steward Council, this workshop will explore opportunities to create new engaged stewards and members in the BC/Yukon Region. This focus group of Stewards will establish the next steps for BT in the Region.
2. Regional Council – ‘The Healthy Better Together Member’
Stewards, executives and members are on the front line for engaging and serving our members. Guest speaker ‘Paul Huschilt’ will discuss tools for workplace wellness and how it can serve to increase engagement and mobilization in the Region. This session will reinforce the intended culture shift of engagement and Better Together in the Region.
3. Steward Council – ‘Steward TED Talks – Attributes of Engagement’
Building on the success of the last two Steward Councils, we would like to continue to work with Engagement Unlimited and others as part of this Council. Again, Roger Haskett will provide services such as emceeing the two day event, conducting a keynote presentation and running the evening entertainment. In addition to training, this Council will provide a TED Talk approach to inspire attributes and characteristics in Stewards that promote engagement and Better Together.
- Regional Executive Meetings / Events:
- Regional Executive Meeting – February 16, 2017
- Regional Meetings / Events / Conference Calls:
- Vancouver CRA AGM – February 16, 2017
- Vancouver Island RMG Chapter AGM – February 23, 2017
- Fraser Valley RMG Chapter AGM – March 8, 2017
- RMG President Meeting – March 22, 2017
- Vancouver AFS Sub-Group AGM – April 4, 2017
- Board Meetings / National Events:
- Board of Directors Meeting – March 10 & 11, 2017.
- Executive Compensation Committee (ECC) – March 27, 2017
- Science Advisory Committee (SAC) – April 3, 2017
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region