Office Closure

The National Office and the National Capital Regional Office are closed today and will reopen Tuesday September 25, 2018 at 8:00 am.

CHAIRPERSON: Manny Costain

COMMITTEE: Kim Skanes, Atlantic Regional Director

Barry Gerus

Carolyn Hynes

Mike Pauley

Phil Wilson

STAFF: Catherine Pinks – Recording Secretary

Manny called the special meeting of the Atlantic Regional Training Committee to order at 8:30 am.

I. Approval of Agenda

The following items were added to the agenda:  III. g. Steward Council 2020 and 2021, h.  Post Training School Review, i.  Dorchester Branch.

Motion #1 Phil moved and Carolyn seconded that the Agenda be approved as amended. Carried

II.  a.  Approval of Minutes of March 24, 2017

Motion #2 Phil moved and Carolyn seconded that the minutes of March 24th, 2017, be approved as presented. Carried

b.  Action Items

Kim led the committee through a review of the action items.

Phil reported he completed the Labour History and PIPSC Structure online modules.  Phil noted that it is too date orientated.  Kim stated that PIPSC had committee to reviewing the modules one year after they were rolled out before considering making changes.  Kim felt that PIPSC has been listening to the feedback received and it will be reflected in the modifications to be made.

Item 5 – Kim spoke with Dennis Britt explaining that our actual figures for the previous year cannot be used for budgeting purposes as there are various reasons why we may not spend our budgets – ie:  inclement weather causing participants to cancel.

III. Calendar of Events

Action Items

Generated by the Atlantic Regional Training Committee

from the March 24th, 2017, meeting at the Delta St. John’s

 

#

Action

Item/Completion Deadline

Completed/Progress

BF

1.

Mike

Prepare NB OSH Cheat Sheet and BF for review at May meeting.

ONGOING

BF May

 

2.

Kim

Follow up with Isabelle Roy on presenting on the topic of mental health at our Steward Council.

ONGOING

 

3.

Catherine

Book August 30th at Delta Halifax for Training Committee meeting 8:30 am – 2:30 pm.

DONE

 

4.

Catherine

Add 1 hour to Steward Council Agenda for Training Update.

DONE

 

5.

Catherine

Review 6 month Post Basic – Sept. 22-24, 2016, assessments to see if any needs to be contacted.

DONE

 

6.

Catherine

Draft text for an email to be sent out to participants at events explaining that they are required to attend the entire event or their attendance at future events may be denied and some expenses may not be covered. Send text to Executive for review.  Use for School, ARC and Steward Council.

DONE

 

7.

Catherine

Send Kim the text from the minutes on what the Training Committee Chair is to do in following up on the Post 6 month assessments.

DONE

 

8.

Catherine

6 Month Post assessment form add a line after 2. Other to provide explanation.

DONE

 

9

Training Committee

Review Resolutions for Resolution Workout and determine:  order of presentation and suggest challenges to make during the exercises.  Report back Catherine by April 10.

ONGOING

 

10.

Catherine

Organize Bowling Tournament for ARC:  5 pin, small ball, 5 per team, single elimination, 1s, 2nd, 3rd prize, worst and best team score, best team name and best team spirit.

ONGOING

 

11.

Kim

Purchase Fit Bit $200 plus tax for fundraising raffle at School.

DONE

 

12.

Catherine

Source an appropriate charity in the Liverpool, Hunts Point area.

DONE

 

13.

Catherine

Bring double sided roll of raffle tickets.

DONE

 

14.

Carolyn

Purchase Wireless Headphones for raffle prize at ARC.

ONGOING

 

15.

Catherine

Source acceptable charity in Charlottetown,

ONGOING

 

16.

Carolyn

Purchase Apple Watch for raffle prize at Steward Council.

ONGOING

 

17

Catherine

Source acceptable charity in Halifax.

ONGOING

 

 

ACTION:  Catherine “nudge” Training Committee on Action Item #9: Review Resolutions for Resolution Workout and determine:  order of presentation and suggest challenges to make during the exercises.  Report back Catherine by May 10, 2017.

IV.  PIPSC Training Re-Vamp Presentation

Kim showed a Power Point she has prepared outlining how the new PIPSC Training may look.

V.    New Business

a.  Training Policy Update:  This was BF’d for a future Training Committee meeting as once the new Training plan is finalized it will require the corresponding changes to be made to the Policy.

b.  Steward Application Form:  Manny asked the Training Committee to review the online Steward Application Form and make suggestions for updating it.  The following suggestions were put forward for consideration:

  • Drop the Nominations section as with the online form nominators no longer sign the form for verification.
  • Drop the Elections session as Stewards are no longer elected.
  • Change the “Are you currently in conflict with your employer (grievance, harassment, tension, difficult communications?”  to Are you currently involved in any formal processes with your employer?
  • Add a section entitled Experience.  Ask what previous PIPSC Steward experience and what Steward experience with other unions the applicant has.

ACTION:  Manny request that Steward Applications go to the respective Sub Group Chairs.

c.  Steward Appointment Renewal Form:  Manny asked the Training Committee to review the Steward Appointment Renewal Form and make suggestions for updating it.  The following suggestions were put forward for consideration:

  • Change title to Steward Renewal Application
  • Add a new section before Member Representation for the Steward to indicate their level of comfort with particular activities.
  • In the Consultation section change National Level to National/Provincial Level to incorporate the Provincial Groups.
  • Under Committees – remove OSH and Other and have the applicant provide a list.
  • Remove the section on specialize training.
  • Add a section Steward Classification which explains the three classifications referring applicants to the link for the Steward Policy which will contain a listing of the duties associated with each position.  In this section the applicant will be asked to select a classification.

d.  Selection Criteria for Training Participants:  Manny asked the committee to review the selection/screening criteria for Regional and National Training and make suggestions for revision.

The following criteria were agreed upon.

ATLANTIC REGIONAL TRAINING SCHOOL

Current Selection Criteria

  1. Steward who never attended the Regional School. New stewards within 6 months of completing basic are not eligible.
  2. Stewards who have never participated in the course(s) offered.
  3. Consider distribution between departments, agencies, separate employers and groups.
  4. Frequency of previous attendance at the school.
  5. Refresher eligibility.

Revised Selection Criteria

  1. Steward who never attended the regional school. Normally new stewards within 1 year of completing Basic are not eligible to attend.
  2. Stewards who have never participated in the course(s) offered.
  3. Consider distribution between departments, agencies, separate employers and groups. 
  4. Frequency of previous attendance at the school
  5. Refresher eligibility – cannot repeat if done within the last 5 years
  6. Course content must match your classification level identified.
  7. Not based on when you apply

SPECIFIC TRAINING (SEPARATE EMPLOYERS)

If the course is employer specific, only stewards or members of that employer are eligible to attend.

NATIONAL TRAINING

  1. Admin support to the TEC Committee would prepare a list of eligible applicants.
  2. Priority given to those stewards who have not previously taken the course. 
  3. Course is relevant to the classification of the steward.
  4. Refreshers are only considered after 5 years.
  5. Consider distribution between departments, agencies, separate employers and groups.
  6. Equitable distribution among the regions.
  1. Frequency of previous attendance at National Training.
  2. List is provided to the Regional Training Chairs to recommend which members from their own regions to attend.
  3. Final list to be approved by the Chair of TEC, recommendations only to be changed based on space.  This is more of a formality process to allow for travel and salary reimbursement.

e.  Steward Council 2020 and 2021:  Catherine advised that it is time to protect space for the 2020 and 2021 Steward Council should the committee want to continue hosting the council at the Delta Halifax.

ACTION:  Catherine create a listing of unionized properties in Halifax with appropriate space for a Training School and regular Training.

ACTION:  Catherine advise Delta Halifax to protect space for 2020 and 2021.

f.  Mental Health Source Guide:  Manny referred the committee to the copy of the document contained in the meeting package.  Training and Education Committee (TEC) has requested feedback on this document. This is a document that PIPSC is considering reproducing for distribution.

ACTION:  Committee review the document and provide feedback to Manny by May 8.

ACTION:  Catherine send an electronic copy of the document to the Training Committee.

g.  Training School:  The Training Committee engaged in a discussion of the Regional Training School.  It was agreed to revert back to the previous agenda where the two day course is offered first and the one day session held on Saturday.  Time management of the two day sessions was identified as an area of concern.  The committee expressed that it is a rare opportunity for members to have time with the ERO`s and it is important that we let the conversations happen.

ACTION:  Kim to speak with Paul regarding the issues identified at the school.

h.  Dorchester Branch:  Kim explained that the Dorchester Branch has not been in good standing for the last three years.  They have not held an AGM, had Executive Elections or received their annual allotment.  Kim outlined the options – assist them in revitalizing the Branch or close it and roll the members into the Moncton Branch.  The Executive decided that Kim will assist in facilitating and AGM and Executive Election to see if an Executive can be elected.  The time frame for this would be after the ARC.

ACTION:  Kim and Catherine to select a date and venue and prepare a notice of meeting for distribution for the Dorchester AGM.

VI.  Round Table/Adjournment

Following a round table, the meeting was adjourned at 2:30 pm.

NOTE:  Should you wish to view copies of reports presented at this meeting, please direct your request to cpinks@pipsc.ca.