Location Humani-T Cafe, Halifax, NS
Time: 4:30pm – 6:30pm
1) Meeting was called to order at 4:45 pm by Jennifer Cantwell.
2) Members in attendance:
3) Susan had provided a statement on our funds available.
4) Discussion of our AGM – time (month), venue and budget TB/finalized in early 2018.
5) Discussion with regards to a social event to get the membership out. A number of ideas were presented and it was agreed to confirm once quotes from venues were collected.
All Departments – stewards have been approached by members with pay issues, stewards have helped and guided as much as possible
Service Canada – Similar workplace issues at multiple sites, including issues such as not enough bathrooms for employees (lineups for bathrooms), not enough kitchen/lunchroom spaces for employees on break/lunch times.
Also, Workplace 2.0 continues to pose challenges for employees, especially around noise levels.
- Phoenix issues: not at the right pay scale and incorrect retro payments.
- Security incidents not being reported to OSH committees as not considered OSH issues! This contravenes Canada Labour Code. A meeting with the DG and stewards have been requested.
- Deprofessionalization of work: having non-professionals performing health related adjudication, health professionals doing admin work (eg: writing their own adjudication letters) AND lack of consistent internal consultation, with an increase in external consultation with providers who have a financial conflict of interest
Minutes submitted by: James Carmichael