Policy on Official Languages
Effective Date: June 2019
1. Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to Institute officers and members on the use of official languages in Institute affairs.
2. Commitment to Official Languages
As a union, the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (the Institute) is committed to providing an environment that encourages the use of both official languages.
3. Institute Meetings
Meeting chairs must make every effort to take the languages rights of their members into consideration as they conduct their meetings. This includes:
• understanding members’ needs and providing the necessary work and communication tools in both official languages;
• holding bilingual meetings and/or recognizing the participants’ choice of language.
Members are encouraged to:
• work in the language of their choice;
• use the official language of their choice and work in an environment conducive to the use of both official languages;
• respect and encourage the members’ language of choice in one-on-one and group communications.
4. Board of Directors
The Institute’s Board of Directors is responsible for:
• exercising the leadership required to foster an organization conducive to the effective use of both official languages;
• appointing from among its Board members, a representative to advise the President on official languages;
• establishing a standing Advisory Committee (presently represented by the Task Force on Official Languages), whose purpose is to advise the Board of Directors on introducing best practices and to coordinate activities promoting an organization conducive to the effective use of both official languages within the Institute and in members’ workplace.
5. Language of Origin
All documents translated by the Institute shall bear a notion as to their language of origin which shall govern in the event interpretation as to meaning is required.