Web Developer – Front-End - Competition 19/30 - Internal & External
Internal & External
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing some 61,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada, requires a Web Developer – Front End at its National Office in Ottawa.
Under the direction and supervision of the Manager, Information Technology Architecture and Projects, the Web Developer – Front-End is responsible for website and applications support, design, and development. The primary responsibility of this position is to build and support content-management based platforms with custom themes and user interfaces that provide positive user experiences.
- The organization is currently shifting to cloud-native development, including PaaS, multi-cloud, microservices, agile methodology, containers, CI/CD, and DevOps
Major responsibilities include:
- Design and develop accessible, user-friendly, visually appealing, and interactive interfaces and content-management themes that are compatible across platforms
- Analyze client requirements and recommend solutions including developing wireframes, story boards and task flows
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Design, develop, test, and deploy website and applications
- Design websites with a user-centered design following usability, accessibility, and user experience best practices
- Monitor, modify, and maintain website for quality and user interaction
- Collaborate with other technology team members and stakeholders to ensure a seamless user experience
- Collaborate with content providers to ensure communication objectives are achieved
- Participate in the establishment of, and support, user experience standards, processes, frameworks and best practices
- Prepare project plans to present technical ideas and establish timelines
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams assigned to special projects and work collaboratively with employees in other sections
- May be requested to undertake other related duties on a periodic basis
The successful candidate will have completed an IT or related degree and have three to five years’ experience in website and web application design and development.
Also required are:
- Expertise in SASS, CSS, HTML5, Gulp
- Extensive CMS development experience, particularly Drupal 8, using Drush
- Experience with object-oriented PHP development
- Experience with templating languages like Liquid and Twig an asset
- Experience in an Agile environment an asset
- Knowledge of AMP, SPA, service workers
- Knowledge of web standards, usability principles, and accessibility guidelines
- Knowledge of G-Suite and Linux platforms
- Ability to troubleshoot front-end performance and common development issues
- Ability to deal with competing priorities
- Self-motivated and initiative to get tasks completed and issues resolved
- Understanding of web-based design and customer service
The Salary: $69,673 to $89,724 (G5)
Applications, making reference to competition 19/30 and complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by 4:00 p.m., May 22, 2019 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.