Web Developer – Full-Stack - Competition 19/29 - Internal & External
Internal & External
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing some 61,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada, requires a Web Developer – Full Stack at its National Office in Ottawa.
Under the direction and supervision of the Manager, Information Technology Architecture and Projects, the Web Developer – Full-Stack is responsible for the overall architecture of the Institute websites and applications including the information flow from user experience to server and content management system functionality. Responsibilities include the development, deployment, upkeep and continuous operation of the Institute’s cloud-based web including the oversight and undertaking of front and back-end web development in collaboration with other technology staff.
- The organization is currently shifting to cloud-native development, including PaaS, multicloud, microservices, agile methodology, containers, CI/CD, and DevOps
Major responsibilities include:
- Analyze, plan, design and configure cloud infrastructure solutions, translating business requirements into scalable, flexible and secure cloud architecture.
- Develop, maintain, update, test and support the Institute websites and all associated infrastructure, including implementing new technologies.
- Ensure and facilitate the development and application of best technology development and content practices and methodologies, operational practices and procedures (i.e. continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipeline, code review and versioning, performance and load testing, development life cycle).
- Recommend, apply and support technology standards, road maps, frameworks, processes and policies for core web infrastructure, front end and back end development.
- Undertake and manage web-based and web publishing improvement projects, including, among others, gathering information, analyzing business needs and functional specifications; planning and developing project components and work flows.
- Provide senior level support and subject matter expertise for complex problems with all elements of the website.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on website issues and respond to website inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Perform on-going website accessibility analysis in relation to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines to identify deficiencies and to recommend and implement solutions to improve compliance.
- Participate in cyber security and information security assessments including intrusion prevention and platform vulnerabilities and implement solutions.
- Identify opportunities for website improvement and new software system features.
- Collaborate with other technology team members to ensure website and application functionality, performance and feature optimization.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams assigned to special projects and work collaboratively with employees in other sections.
- May be requested to undertake other related duties on a periodic basis.
The successful candidate will have completed an IT or related degree and have five to eight years’ experience in software development, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Also required are:
- Expert software engineering and data architecture skills
- Extensive experience working with cloud infrastructure
- Extensive experience working in web development
- Expertise in continuous CI, CS, unit testing, git flow, coding best practices
- Solid understanding of microservice architecture
- Knowledge of LAMP, Drupal 8, Drush, Gulp/Grunt, and Composer
- Knowledge of AWS, EC2, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL data structures
- Experience creating and integrating with RESTful APIs
- Experience in an Agile environment an asset
- Passion for collaborating including pair programming and mentoring
- Knowledge of SASS, CSS3, and HTML DOM management an asset
- Knowledge of G Suite collaboration platform an asset
- Ability to troubleshoot web performance and development issues
- Ability to deal with competing priorities
- Self-motivated and initiative to get tasks completed and issues resolved
- Understanding of web-based design and customer service
The Salary: $80,947 to $101,184 (G6)
Applications, making reference to competition 19/29 and complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by 4:00 p.m., May 22, 2019 by email to email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.